Up To 40% Off

Net-A-Porter

Up To 50% Off Designer Sale

Bloomingdale's

Up to 50% Off Big Brown Bag Sale

ASOS

Black Friday 30% Off With Code: TGIBF
Home > >

Harrods and shipping to the US! Duties?!

POST A REPLY

Jan 8, 2011, 12:28am   #1
XoJUICYCOUTURE
New York, J'taime
Hi so i found out its INCREDIBLY cheaper to order a mcqueen scarf from the Harrods website. with currency conversion im saving roughly 60$. Im wondering though if i order will i have to pay duties or import taxes of such?
Jan 8, 2011, 10:05am   #2
XoJUICYCOUTURE
New York, J'taime
Bump, is there anyone that can help? The scarf comes to roughly 217$ with everything. I've searched and read customs is billed to items that are valued 250 and up. Knowing that VAT will be deducted does this mean they charge the custom tax based on the price with the VAT? Or the 217?
Jan 8, 2011, 2:16pm   #3
lulilu
I've gotten bills from DHL for customs fees plus a charge for collecting it. The purchase was over 250 so I can't help with that one.
Jan 9, 2011, 1:23am   #4
jenaywins
♥ Duh - winning! ♥
I have ordered from Harrods and can say with certainty that there were no taxes/duties.
Jan 9, 2011, 6:23pm   #5
m
meganfm
Just because one person received a package with no duty doesn't mean everyone will. In Canada, I've ordered from the same sites multiple times. Sometimes I get charged, sometimes I don't.
Jan 9, 2011, 6:42pm   #6
Shigeru
A Dude
Besides currency conversion, remember you'll usually get charged a Foreign Exchange Fee on your credit card, unless it is 0%.
Jan 9, 2011, 7:08pm   #7
XoJUICYCOUTURE
New York, J'taime
Originally Posted by meganfm
Just because one person received a package with no duty doesn't mean everyone will. In Canada, I've ordered from the same sites multiple times. Sometimes I get charged, sometimes I don't.
I know for Canada you are usually taxed much more stricter than the US though. still didn't take the gamble but hmm its tempting
Jan 9, 2011, 8:06pm   #8
m
meganfm
Originally Posted by XoJUICYCOUTURE
I know for Canada you are usually taxed much more stricter than the US though. still didn't take the gamble but hmm its tempting
Yeah it's ridiculous. I've been charged duty on a $20 tshirt from the US while a $200 Vivienne Westwood necklace from the UK slipped through.

You should be OK if it's under $250 though. It's not so much the store you buy from but the method they ship (post office, UPS, FedEx, etc).
Last edited Jan 9, 2011 at 8:09pm.
Jan 10, 2011, 1:52am   #9
kenzo89
Call me Kenny.
In my experience (when selling) all packages sent from the UK are held at the US customs although I usually tend to mark it as a gift for my customers so they are exempt of duties etc usually. I would assume that if you were to purchase from Harrods, then you'd have to pay your local tax rate as well as duties on the final figure sold to you, so $217.
Jan 10, 2011, 7:24am   #10
finzup
Easily tempted
in my experience anything that is shipped royal mail arrives USPS and I've never paid a duty... (both over and under $250)
Jan 10, 2011, 6:48pm   #11
lulilu
My cc charges a 3% foreign currency exchange fee.
Aug 20, 2012, 7:44pm   #12
NYCavalier
Chanel & Bal!
I know this thread is kind of old, but I was wondering if anyone had purchased an expensive handbag on harrods recently. Wondering what I should expect if I purchase a $2k+ bag in terms of duties, etc.
Thanks!
Sep 22, 2012, 6:50pm   #13
C
Cullinan
Account Deactivated
I live in the UK, so can't claim back taxes, but I have a Harrods loyalty card with not many points on, which I can use when I shop there...
Sep 23, 2012, 11:38am   #14
M
Mead
Does VAT come into play here? When I was in Ireland most of my gifts had a Value Added Tax added onto the purchase price. However at the airport I showed my receipts at a registration desk, filled out the paperwork and the VAT was refunded to my credit card.
POST A REPLY
  HOME > >