THE BEST BLACK FRIDAY SALES

Yoox

20% Off With Code: YOOXGIVING

Moda Operandi

Black Friday Sale

Neiman Marcus

Up To 40% Off Designer Sale

Saks Fifth Ave

Up To 60% Off Selected Styles

Nordstrom

Up To 40% Off

Net-A-Porter

Up To 50% Off Designer Sale

Bloomingdale's

Up to 50% Off Big Brown Bag Sale

ASOS

Black Friday 30% Off With Code: TGIBF
Home > >

Gilt Groupe Prices Are Not Always Sale Prices

POST A REPLY
 
Thread Tools
Feb 9, 2011, 2:37pm   #16
GelTea's Avatar
GelTea
Coupon Code Stalker
^Yeah, I don't remember seeing any disclaimer, just that the retail price was the same as the "sale" price.
Feb 9, 2011, 2:54pm   #17
arireyes's Avatar
arireyes
Member
I will buy something from Gilt, if I've done the research and know what original retail was and what sale prices are elsewhere. My last purchase was a watch that I had been looking at for 2 years . CD Peacock carried it and I knew the retail, had looked everywhere and still have not seen it for a price that could even compete with Gilt. In that case it was a no brainer but it was also a big investment peice. For the most part I really like them and have never had anything but great service from them. I'd just do my research before buying because I have seen things cheaper elsewhere.
Feb 9, 2011, 8:06pm   #18
k
kendal
Member
Originally Posted by saira1214
. There is hardly time to do any research before pruchasing as there is always such a frenzy and things get snapped up fast. :
This is exactly why I stay away from these flash sales. I'd rather take my time, do research and get exactly what I want, even if the price is higher. I feel panicky whenever there is a no return policy.
Feb 9, 2011, 8:28pm   #19
Needanotherbag's Avatar
Needanotherbag
Halt and Salute
I think that the buyer needs to research before using these type of flash sale sites. I have been able to get some REALLY good deals on Gilt and Hautelook, but before I buy anything I research and understand exactly what I am purchasing. I know what retail is before the sale even starts, and if unsure, I place it in my cart and double check.
Feb 9, 2011, 11:32pm   #20
digby723's Avatar
digby723
Back to reality
I've said it before, but I'll say it again, these sites prey on the limited quantity aspect, which is what drives the consumer to make a quick decision to purchase a product that they haven't researched. The individual feels like they will be missing out since there are only a few limited quantities, hence why these sites do so well. The only thing I can suggest would be to put an item in your basket and then take your 15 mins that you have before the cart empties itself and do some online comparison shopping to see if there is a better price for the item.

As for the discrepancy over the word sale, not only does it mean the ability to purchase goods at a discounted price, but it also refers to the exchange of goods or services for an amount of money or its equivalent. In some cases, such as the HOH sale, Gilt merely acts as the medium for you to get your purchase since they are not discounting the item. I could be wrong, but I don't see a claim anywhere on their website that they're selling items at a discounted rate. This is implied, due to the flash sale aspect of the site, but I don't see a single thing posted on their website that they offer items for a discounted rate. This could have been up before, but I don't see it now.
Feb 9, 2011, 11:42pm   #21
vilette21c's Avatar
vilette21c
80++ bags left
I used to buy from Gilt as well. I got duped with a Furla bag that I bought from them... found them somewhere $30-$40 less. Argh. I now limit myself to the sale sections of Neiman Marcus, Saks, and Bergdorf. Though I spent a little bit more, I can sleep at night knowing I can return something if I don't find them pretty in the morning.
Feb 10, 2011, 2:36am   #22
p
poizenisxkandee
Shopping Fanatic
I don't know about that specific sale, but I know they've had some exclusive to Gilt or similar style sales where they weren't ON sale but were instead FOR sale at an exclusive time or exclusive styles to Gilt.
Feb 10, 2011, 12:20pm   #23
alliemia's Avatar
alliemia
love shopping!!!
They don't claim to be the lowest price out there. If they are cheaper elsewhere don't buy from Gilt. It's not their fault you didn't check other stores first.
Feb 10, 2011, 12:25pm   #24
saira1214's Avatar
Thread Starter
saira1214
Member
Originally Posted by alliemia
They don't claim to be the lowest price out there. If they are cheaper elsewhere don't buy from Gilt. It's not their fault you didn't check other stores first.
Wow, my post never said I expected the lowest price, I simply stated that my expectations were that I would pay lower than retail. Fortunately, the US has moved away from such a cavalier caveat emptor attitude and there are more consumer protections.
Feb 10, 2011, 12:27pm   #25
saira1214's Avatar
Thread Starter
saira1214
Member
It says it on the home page. There is also a misleading representation regarding "member's or insiders pricing." I think that's pretty clear cut.

Taken from their website:
Gilt Groupe provides invitation-only access to highly coveted products and experiences at insider prices. Each day, Gilt offers its members a curated selection of merchandise, including apparel, accessories and lifestyle items across the women’s, men’s and children’s categories. In addition, we provide the best in home decor and entertaining essentials, along with luxury travel packages and fantastic offers on local services and experiences. Most sales start at noon ET and last only 36 hours, making Gilt.com an exclusive shopping destination for luxury at up to 70% off.
Feb 10, 2011, 12:31pm   #26
saira1214's Avatar
Thread Starter
saira1214
Member
That's ridiculous and misleading. Sites can get sued over such things as this. That is the classic example of false advertising and misrepresentation. No reputable website would take a chance on such semantics.

Originally Posted by digby723
I've said it before, but I'll say it again, these sites prey on the limited quantity aspect, which is what drives the consumer to make a quick decision to purchase a product that they haven't researched. The individual feels like they will be missing out since there are only a few limited quantities, hence why these sites do so well. The only thing I can suggest would be to put an item in your basket and then take your 15 mins that you have before the cart empties itself and do some online comparison shopping to see if there is a better price for the item.

As for the discrepancy over the word sale, not only does it mean the ability to purchase goods at a discounted price, but it also refers to the exchange of goods or services for an amount of money or its equivalent. In some cases, such as the HOH sale, Gilt merely acts as the medium for you to get your purchase since they are not discounting the item. I could be wrong, but I don't see a claim anywhere on their website that they're selling items at a discounted rate. This is implied, due to the flash sale aspect of the site, but I don't see a single thing posted on their website that they offer items for a discounted rate. This could have been up before, but I don't see it now.
Feb 10, 2011, 12:44pm   #27
saira1214's Avatar
Thread Starter
saira1214
Member
Originally Posted by digby723
The only thing I can suggest would be to put an item in your basket and then take your 15 mins that you have before the cart empties itself and do some online comparison shopping to see if there is a better price for the item.
Originally Posted by sbelle
but I'll put something in my basket and then get on the internet and see if I can confirm that the sales price is a good deal.
Originally Posted by Needanotherbag
and if unsure, I place it in my cart and double check.
Thanks for the constructive feedback ladies! I will start to do this from now on.
Feb 10, 2011, 1:05pm   #28
alliemia's Avatar
alliemia
love shopping!!!
Originally Posted by saira1214
Wow, my post never said I expected the lowest price, I simply stated that my expectations were that I would pay lower than retail. Fortunately, the US has moved away from such a cavalier caveat emptor attitude and there are more consumer protections.
I get what you are saying and why you are unhappy, but you yourself said you bought without checking pricing elsewhere. You can't assume the price is below retail for every single sale. The HOH sale wasn't posted as a below-retail sale, it was some sort of exclusive opportunity to purchase at retail.

Overall the majority, if not 99% of gilt sales are below retail. They occasionally do an exclusive sale which the deal is the designer offering an array of items, but may be at full price.

I don't think in this instance they did anything wrong. It was stated that HOH was going to be full retail. And also, you get 15 minutes to hold the Item in your cart. A quick google would have given you time o check the price.
Feb 10, 2011, 1:16pm   #29
saira1214's Avatar
Thread Starter
saira1214
Member
Originally Posted by alliemia
I get what you are saying and why you are unhappy, but you yourself said you bought without checking pricing elsewhere. You can't assume the price is below retail for every single sale. The HOH sale wasn't posted as a below-retail sale, it was some sort of exclusive opportunity to purchase at retail.

Overall the majority, if not 99% of gilt sales are below retail. They occasionally do an exclusive sale which the deal is the designer offering an array of items, but may be at full price.

I don't think in this instance they did anything wrong. It was stated that HOH was going to be full retail. And also, you get 15 minutes to hold the Item in your cart. A quick google would have given you time o check the price.
I too understand what you are saying but this is my point:

1. Gilt Groupe holds itself out to be a sale site. I should haven't to pay atttention to small nuances to determine if I am getting a bargin or not.

2. The CS representative I spoke with tried to tell me that it was stated that HOH was going to be full retail. When I pressed her to show me the screen shot, she came back five minutes later acknowledging that it was not expressly stated. Furthermore, it was not an exclusive look at her line because apparently it has already been out in department stores which by the way already have pieces as sale items.

Overall lesson, do the research before purchasing from Gilt Groupe. I didn't start this thread to argue, but to inform others that have been mislead or could be mislead by this company and to get some feedback. Thanks you ladies for all of your feedback.

Their website touts that it is a sale site with discounts of up to 70% and member's only pricing. Apparently, member's only pricing means retail and I certainly do not have to be a member of their site to pay retail prices. All in all, it is misleading (despite doing my reasearch or not).
Feb 10, 2011, 1:19pm   #30
alliemia's Avatar
alliemia
love shopping!!!
I do hope you are able to enjoy your jewelry piece.
POST A REPLY
  HOME > >  
TOP

Thread Tools