Home Shopping Resources General Shopping

Christmas gift ideas for parents in 80's?

POST A REPLY

Nov 23, 2009, 9:06am   #1
b
Account Deactivated
HELP!! Once again my family is trying to come up with good gift ideas for my parents. As I am sure many of you have probably experienced once parents get older many gifts stay in their box- dvds(worried turning on DVD player will cause issues with getting cable tv back), sturdy outdoor rocker (too heavy to relocate), restaurant gift certificates(forgot where they put them), gourmet gadgets(will get to trying them)...are you seeing a pattern???? Gourmet foods are always our fall back but we just used that last year so we would like to be more original.

Any ideas that have been bigs hits for that age group would be greatly appreciated.
Nov 23, 2009, 9:09am   #2
we ordered my almost 80 yo FIL a yr subscription to Wine Spectator.
Getting my Grandmother-in -law new scarf/gloves/hat.
Nov 23, 2009, 10:45am   #3
b
Account Deactivated
Wine Spectator could be good for my mom. Thanks Swanky.
Nov 23, 2009, 3:42pm   #4
If they like wine we get my DH's parents a once a month bottle of wine club subscription which they seem to enjoy. (DH's parents aren't in that age group - just an idea though). Also, I think things like soft cashmere scarves, blankets or socks are really nice luxuries that will get used.
Nov 23, 2009, 3:43pm   #5
I usually get mine form here and they love it!

http://www.oxfam.org.uk/shop/content...b&icl=shoptab3
Nov 23, 2009, 6:26pm   #6
Back to reality
Do they drink coffee/tea? I saw something on Walmart.com (and I'm sure other places do this too) where you can put up to 20 pictures on a coffee mug for something like $15. It's a cute idea that they'd use every day, and even better if there are cute grandkid photos to put on the mug!
Nov 23, 2009, 7:09pm   #7
s
handbags for her wallets for him
easy on/off sweatsuits
comforter set for their bed
good coat
digital picture Frame(u put the images on it of the family)
Nov 23, 2009, 7:32pm   #8
g
http://www.myblankee.com has the most wonderful blankets ever made. Once you have their blankets you will never want anything else. If you look at the site go to the OUTLET section where they have blankets 50-80% off. They are famous for their baby blankets which are the perfect gift for baby showers/birthdays. This is one of my favorite places to shop.

I have done TV dinners for gifts for my dad. Cook and freeze in individual containers and all he has to do is thaw and reheat. Cookies and snacks for them and when company comes. My one friend does a chore list for her parents. She gives them a coupon book for them to list chores that need to be done around the house and hubby and her do them.
I do think one of the best gifts is the gift of spending time with them.
Nov 23, 2009, 9:31pm   #9
c
I think there are no specific gifts for parents in 80's. Everyone has his own taste. you really have to find what your Dad or Mum really love, which is the best gift. The habits, hobbies, unique likes and dislikes...
Nov 24, 2009, 11:28am   #10
H
I gave my mom a beautiful lavender gift set from L'Occitane and she re-gifted it to me the next year. I wish I could remember what I gave her last year. I hope it was nice.
Nov 24, 2009, 12:00pm   #11
make them a photo calendar. :) costco, walgreens, even online sites have easy to do calendars. my aunt does one every year with family and gives it to my grandparents. they love it!
Nov 24, 2009, 4:14pm   #12
Yes, we need to know more about them.

This reminds me of my grandmother. We used to go nuts trying to buy her gifts. She shopped in places like Kmart for herself. My dad would buy her chic leather jackets and nice jewelry and she wouldn't wear ANY of it. She always had a cheap plastic tablecloth on her kitchen table and hers was old and yellowed so I found her a really nice (plastic) tablecloth thinking I had it. She never used it once. lol
Nov 24, 2009, 5:23pm   #13
People get to the age where they have more than enough of everything. Heck, I am that way and I am nowhere near 80.
Ask them flat out what they would like. If they say nothing, take them at their word. They probably don't need or want any more clothes, jewelry, or household items cluttering up their home.
Perhaps you could take them out to eat after the holidays instead of giving them a gift certificate. Or go to the grocery store for them and stock up on what they need. Maybe there is a credit card bill that you could pay off for them.
What they would proably enjoy most is just spending time with you.
Nov 27, 2009, 6:02pm   #14
b
Account Deactivated
Thanks for all the great suggestions. Indeed they pretty much don't want anymore stuff that creates clutter at their age. They live pretty simple, but have no issue with enjoying special treats or nicer experiences. I feel like I want to always give them something that they may have sacrificed doing or trying in order to raise all their kids. My dad love cooking and gardening so I think I am back to the food items and maybe a gift certificate to Sur La Table or some cooking gadget store that I can take him to pick out items. Last year I did find him this awesome teacup that had a strainer for loose tea and then a lid that was concave so you could set the strainer on it when you were ready to drink your tea. It was a way to carry everything you needed to have tea and still have a hand free in case you lost your balance.
Nov 28, 2009, 6:37pm   #15
g
guccimamma
i'm going to get my dad a single serving coffee maker, because he gets up really early to golf...and always wakes my mom making coffee

i think keurig or tassimo, can't decide
POST A REPLY
  HOME Shopping Resources General Shopping