POST A REPLY

Jun 18, 2012, 3:59pm   #31
layd3k
Originally Posted by AccessorizeThis
You are allowed to declare $750 back if you've been out of the country for 7 days or more. If between 48 hours and 4 days, it's $400. Under 4 days, it's a different amount.

Do note that if you plan on carrying it back without declaring, customs could ask you to provide proof that you purchased the bag prior to leaving Canada. This has never happened to me but it's been reported several times throughout TPF and there is a provision on the CBSA website for this.

Protecting your valuables

Before travelling outside Canada with valuable items, you may wish to take advantage of a free identification service that is available at all CBSA offices. This service is available for items that have serial numbers or other unique markings. For items that do not have such markings, the CBSA can apply a sticker to them so that they can be identified for customs purposes as goods that are legally in Canada.

When you show your valuables to a border services officer and state that you acquired them in Canada or lawfully imported them, the officer will list your valuables and their serial numbers on a wallet-sized card called a Form Y38, Identification of Articles for Temporary Exportation. If you are questioned about your goods when you return to Canada, show your card to the officer. This will help identify the valuables that were in your possession before leaving the country.

Note that if you do declare above the personal exemption, this is what is on the CBSA website

The term “duties” can include excise taxes and the GST/HST. It does not include provincial or territorial sales tax

Last time I claimed above exemption, I just had to pay gst (5%) on the difference.
I did this once with a vintage Chanel flap. I went to the CBSA office at Pearson and told them I inherited the bag from my aunt and that there is no receipt. They wanted to see proof of this in the form of a will. I kind of looked at him like WTF. Who carries copies of their will, nevermind someone else's will around with them while travelling? Anywase, he still "let it slide this time." I got a green card that was stmaped and signed by the customs officer. I had to write the serial number of the bag on it and he looked inside the bag to verify it. However, they caution you that that card is only valid the first time around, and might not be considered valid for future travels.

As well, I inquired about the sticker for a Longchamp bag my aunt had given me and they said that they dont do that. They can only issue the card if there is a serial number already attached to the item in question.
Jun 18, 2012, 4:05pm   #32
layd3k
And on another note, I collected EVERY receipt I still had that was associated with any luxury good I still owned and created a little book. Everything is categorized by brand an item type. So purses, shoes, scarves etc. I always bring this with me wherever I go because as everyone has already mentioned CBSA officers are ridiculous. AS well, I put all the receipts for my DSLR camera and lens in this book.

I was once stopped at a border and my friend and I got into A LOT of trouble because we didnt declare anything and we both spent hundreds of dollars. The officer told us we were flagged, but I have travelled many times since then and have never been pulled aside. As well, I list EVERYTHING I bought from underwear to body wash, and keep every receipt. My relative who is a CBSA officer says they dont want to hear that kind of thing, they are more interested in cigarettes and alcohol, but I really dont care. LOL
Jun 18, 2012, 6:52pm   #33
m
meganfm
Originally Posted by layd3k
I did this once with a vintage Chanel flap. I went to the CBSA office at Pearson and told them I inherited the bag from my aunt and that there is no receipt. They wanted to see proof of this in the form of a will. I kind of looked at him like WTF. Who carries copies of their will, nevermind someone else's will around with them while travelling? Anywase, he still "let it slide this time." I got a green card that was stmaped and signed by the customs officer. I had to write the serial number of the bag on it and he looked inside the bag to verify it. However, they caution you that that card is only valid the first time around, and might not be considered valid for future travels.
Really? I have done this with my computer and camera when I travel out of the country (especially to Asia since a lot of people pick up electronics there) and they have never asked for the receipt-I just fill out that form, they check the serial numbers, and stamp it.
Jul 15, 2012, 8:49am   #34
c
citta
Originally Posted by reira08
I truly hate Canadian customs... It freaks me out so much when I cross the border by car when I pop over for Seattle for a day trip. But I don't mind the airport one as much. My mom and I never bring anything when we go back home to HK, we bring lots of souvineirs for family but we don't pack any clothes just wear that one outfit we board with plane with. We buy everything we want in HK and we just use it for the duration of our trip and take our tags off, that way we can say all our clothes were brought from Canada to wear on the trip lol. Also, I am fine with leaving my dustbags and boxes at my HK home so I can say my bags are not new.

One bad situation I had regarding customs officers was a few months ago my BF and I were bored so we decided to drive over to Seattle to shop and eat and hang out. I didn't buy much because I did not see anything I liked. I spent $30 at ULTA and $60 on makeup at Nordstroms. My bf did not buy anything. We came back and this woman officer was on a power trip. She asked us how much we spent I said about $100 and she did NOT believe me. I had the receipts too! We weren't even there for that long only about 4 hours. She kept hassling us to tell her the "truth" and said that she could "take everything" from us. REALLY RUDE lady. She said I will give you ONE LAST CHANCE to own up to it. We insisted we didn't buy anymore and she searched our car. She found NOTHING because we didn't buy anything but the whole experience was just so ridiculous :(

OMG canadian customs are so brutal !
Jul 16, 2012, 4:59am   #35
j
jaonmc
good plan keep it up
Aug 16, 2012, 2:43am   #36
c
ceeaytam
Hi..so my 2 friends and i just crossed the border today (less than 24 hrs) and pretty much we bought a carton of cigs but didn't know we had to stay 24-48 hours in order to buy tobacco. We got sent to inspection and pretty much the officer inspected the car and stuff...but he didn't end up taxing us because it was our first time or something... My question is..does that mean my name is flagged or blacklisted? Or is it only the driver that is flagged?? Will every time i go in the states I will be pulled over??

THanks!!
Aug 16, 2012, 10:58am   #37
p
pellarin22
Take That
I think if you lie and say you didn't buy anything when you obviously did then they will flag your licence plate. Which means they could pull you over and search or you could just have to go in and pay the taxes. They may not do it all the time but they could if they felt like it.
But if you just declare what you bought and have the receipts ready then usually according to my experience you could go in and pay maybe 25% of the time. Most of the time that I've been this year I think I went in three times out of the fifteen times that I 've been in the last year. So just don't lie , you would only be paying the taxes anyway, they don't charge duty anymore.
Aug 22, 2012, 11:52am   #38
M
MrsBradley
I did purchase an eBay item, it came from France and I was charged duty (no big surprise here) but I am fairly certain that used clothing/footwear are duty exempt. Any thoughts? Anyone has experience with that?
I shall file an adjustment claim providing them with the original listing and PP transaction but I wanted to cite the tariff code as well.
TIA
Oct 14, 2012, 12:39am   #39
P
Patricia71
I would suggest, just wear/ carry your new lv bag and put the old ones in your suitcase so you wont get charge at the customs
Dec 9, 2012, 10:14pm   #40
L
LillyJ
I'm planning on purchasing a chanel flap in LA for about $3000. I'm way too nervous to carry it through without declaring it but I can't seem to find anywhere how much I would have to pay for being over the limit. I'm going from thursday-monday so depending on how much I am allowed to bring back, does anyone know approximately the duty/tax price I would need to pay for being over my limit? Really appreciate any responses!!
thanks!
Dec 10, 2012, 3:14am   #41
V0N1B2
Armchair Supermodel
You'll pay GST/HST depending on your province of residence. Depending on the mood of the customs officer, you may be subject to duty as well. I used to have a sheet of the duty amounts but you can find one on the CBSA website. I think the duty charged for leather handbags made in France could be around 7-8%
So... you may be paying 20% ($600) in duties, but again that's at the discretion of the customs officer.
Dec 10, 2012, 6:38am   #42
xiangxiang0731
Does anybody know anything about visitors entering Canada? Will they ask you about the items you are bringing in and whether you are importing them or not? I plan to fly to Canada to see my aunt and bringing a present for her (an expensive handbag), will I have to pay duty on it? Thank you for your help!
Dec 10, 2012, 7:27am   #43
C
CanuckBagLover
On the aircraft, you will be given a Canadian customs form to fill out - it does ask the purpose of your trip, and whether you are bringing in any goods (e.g. firearms, farm products and other restricted products) and some other questions. I can't remember if it asks specifically about gifts with respect to visitors. Though you may be asked by the customs officer. In any event as long as this is a personal gift (you're not importing it for business) you should not be subject to duty taxes or any other taxes. Duty taxes only apply to Canadian residents who shop outside of Canada (subject to certain exemptions/exceptions). If there isn't a question on the customs form about the monetary value of gifts you are bringing into Canada as a visitor and you are asked by the customs officer - I would just say you have a purse as a gift for your Aunt. Don't volunteer the cost of the purse unless specifically asked and then answer honestly. Keep the price tag on it and take it off before giving it to your Aunt. Enjoy your visit to Canada.
Dec 10, 2012, 7:34am   #44
jnj1ster
Originally Posted by LillyJ
I'm planning on purchasing a chanel flap in LA for about $3000. I'm way too nervous to carry it through without declaring it but I can't seem to find anywhere how much I would have to pay for being over the limit. I'm going from thursday-monday so depending on how much I am allowed to bring back, does anyone know approximately the duty/tax price I would need to pay for being over my limit? Really appreciate any responses!!
thanks!
I personally don't think it's worth it trying to sneak things in. You get caught, you can forever be on their watch list. Based on my experience, the duty rate really depends on who you get. I always prepare myself to pay the worst case scenario, which would be about 31% if you are from Ontatio (13% tax plus duty). If you are lucky and end up with a more lenient agent, it can be less. I'm not sure about US prices, but even at 31% tax rate, shopping in Europe is a lot cheaper, I find. Hope this helps.
Dec 10, 2012, 7:44am   #45
C
CanuckBagLover
Originally Posted by xiangxiang0731
Does anybody know anything about visitors entering Canada? Will they ask you about the items you are bringing in and whether you are importing them or not? I plan to fly to Canada to see my aunt and bringing a present for her (an expensive handbag), will I have to pay duty on it? Thank you for your help!
I'm mistaken - here's a page from Canadian customs website. You are charged duties on gifts over $60:

Visitors to Canada
What you can bring with you
As a visitor, you can bring certain goods into Canada for your own use as "personal baggage". Personal baggage includes clothing, camping and sports equipment, cameras and personal computers. It also includes vehicles, private boats and aircraft.

You must declare all goods when you arrive at the first CBSA port of entry. Border services officers do conduct examinations of goods being imported or exported to verify declarations. If you declare goods when you arrive and take them back with you when you leave, you will not have to pay any duty or taxes. These goods cannot be:

•used by a resident of Canada;
•used on behalf of a business based in Canada;
•be given as a gift to a Canadian resident; or
•disposed of or left in Canada.
The border services officer may ask you to leave a security deposit for your goods, which will be refunded to you when you export the goods from Canada. Should this occur, the officer will issue a Form E29B (PDF, 507 KB), Temporary Admission Permit, retain a copy and give you one for your records. When you leave Canada, present your goods and your copy of Form E29B to the officer who will give you a receipt copy of the form and your security deposit will be refunded by mail.

Gifts
You can import gifts for friends into Canada duty- and tax-free as long as each gift is valued at CAN$60 or less. If the gift is worth more than CAN$60, you will have to pay duty and taxes on the excess amount. You cannot claim alcoholic beverages, tobacco products or business-related material as gifts.

Here is the website link: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...-eng.html#s2x2
POST A REPLY
  HOME > >