Home The Playground General Discussion

Where were you / what were you doing when you heard about the London bombings?

POST A REPLY

Jul 5, 2007, 4:51pm   #1
Nasty Bish
In two days, it will be the two year anniversary of the 7 July 2005 London bombings. I thought there should be a thread in remembrance.

I was on another networking site (I won't mention the name) and there was a topic about it. I didn't believe them at first, so I looked it up on the news sites.

Once I confirmed it was true I was in shock. I love London. I love England and the fact that someone detonated bombs in the subway station just upset me. When I was studying in London I took the tube from Surbinton, Surrey to downtown London via Waterloo Station. The bombings occurred in King's Cross Station, but they could have easily been in Waterloo.

I think I felt the same way about this as I did during 9/11.

After 9/11 everywhere you went you saw an American flag. You also saw a lot of red, white and blue and slogans like God Bless America or Proud to be an American.

You never saw the Union Jack or Rule Britannia all over the place after the London bombings. People mourned their dead, tended to the wounded and moved on with their lives with this sense of quiet dignity.

I'm not saying one way is more superior to the other, I'm just saying it was an interesting contrast.

And it's scary because close to the two year anniversary of these bombings, London is on a high terror alert due to discovered car bombs. I just thank God the police stopped it before anything tragic happened.
Last edited Jul 5, 2007 at 5:06pm.
Jul 5, 2007, 5:00pm   #2
I agree--there needs to be some rememberance!

I was in rural Mongolia (Terelj) then and had remarked to someone that the world could have exploded and being out there, we would never know. My statement was entirely true--I didn't hear of the bombings until sometime later when I managed to make it to Ulan Bataar.
Last edited Jul 5, 2007 at 5:01pm. Reason: Apparently "world" and "would" are not the same.
Jul 5, 2007, 5:11pm   #3
A
I can't remember exactly where I was or what I was doing when this happened.

Everybody in the UK is so fed up with being bombed - we have been bombed for years and years by the IRA. The centre of Manchester was bombed, The Grand Hotel in Brighton was bombed during the Conservative Party Conference, politians have been killed in car bombs etc etc.

I'm sure that there will be a memorial service on Sunday.
Jul 5, 2007, 6:16pm   #4
I was driving home up the M1 after arriving at Heathrow. Was meant to get the tube to the most northern station so my parents could miss the rush hour, but for some random reason (aka 12 months worth of luggage!) they changed their minds and got me from the airport.

My mum said that on the way down they'd heard about the 'power surges' at the first station, by the time we were driving home the motorway was SILENT and all the overhead signs said 'turn on your radio' alternating with 'avoid london-area closed' (even though we were driving away from london).

I've never been so freaked out. It literally was on every radio station
Jul 6, 2007, 11:30pm   #5
Nasty Bish
Last edited Jul 6, 2007 at 11:33pm.
Jul 7, 2007, 7:10pm   #6
Nasty Bish
My mom's friend has a daughter who is living in London. At the time of the bombings, she was riding the subway at the time and her train had to be evacuated.

I remember being so worried for my cousins because they worked in downtown London. I sent out "are you okay?" e-mails and thank God they replied to me with the all-clear.

My prayers go out to the victims and their families. My prayers go out to everyone that rode the tube during the blasts.
Jul 7, 2007, 8:48pm   #7
Nasty Bish
Brown lays wreath to mark July 7 bombings

Reuters - Saturday, July 7 12:14 pm
LONDON (Reuters) - Prime Minister Gordon Brown led a flower-laying ceremony at Kings Cross station on Saturday morning to mark the second anniversary of the July 7 London suicide bombings.
Brown, along with London Mayor Ken Livingstone and Minister for London Tessa Jowell, laid wreaths at the station to mark the first of the four explosions in 2005.
Survivors and relatives of victims laid their own floral tributes at the station, some in the shape of the number seven.
The low-key event was at the request of families of those who were killed or seriously injured in the explosions on three London Underground trains and a double-decker bus.
The bombings killed 52 people as well as the four Islamists who carried them out and a further 700 people were injured.
It was the highest toll from a bombing in the UK since the death of 270 people in the 1988 Pan Am Lockerbie disaster.
In February, the Department for Culture, Media and Sport announced that a permanent memorial to the 52 dead would be installed in Hyde Park.

(http://uk.news.yahoo.com/rtrs/200707...y-fa6b408.html)
Jul 9, 2007, 1:40pm   #8
von
:)
I was at work (doctors surgery) in paddington which is a few minutes walk from Edgware road tube where one of the bombs went off, we got a call from our health authority who asked us to stay open( we normally close at 1pm on a thursday) due to power suges on the underground and we might need to take the strain off St Mary's(local hosp). Later on we discovered the truth, i was sent to the hilton hotel on edgware road which was being used as a crisis centre for tending to the walking wounded, i dressed a few wounds but still didn't really realise the full extent of what had happened.
scary thing is we open the practice at 8 and we have a lot of arab patients because we are so close to edgware rd which is a big arabic commuinty, the police came in a t 8 and took away an arabic man who was sat in our waiting room, at this stage no one knew of the bombings, it makes me angry that any one of our patients could be a potential terrorist. As of course could anyone these days.
Jul 9, 2007, 1:44pm   #9
n
In a lab, and I was scared to death bc one of my roomies was in London at the time visiting family. It took FOREVER for me to reach her!
Jul 9, 2007, 1:50pm   #10
Daydreamer
Originally Posted by englishchick
I was driving home up the M1 after arriving at Heathrow. Was meant to get the tube to the most northern station so my parents could miss the rush hour, but for some random reason (aka 12 months worth of luggage!) they changed their minds and got me from the airport.

My mum said that on the way down they'd heard about the 'power surges' at the first station, by the time we were driving home the motorway was SILENT and all the overhead signs said 'turn on your radio' alternating with 'avoid london-area closed' (even though we were driving away from london).

I've never been so freaked out. It literally was on every radio station
Wow, EnglishChick. Your post gave me chills.

It must have been super scary, especially at first when you weren't quite sure yet what was going on.

I've been to England many times and have relatives there, but I'm American. So you could definitely say I've got a softspot for England.

I was really scared when I flipped on the news and heard of it.

*Takes a vow of silence in remembrance*
Jul 9, 2007, 2:26pm   #11
a
i was sleeping at my parents' house (i was housesitting for them) and my mother called me from finland to make sure i wasn't on the tube. lucky i'm a late riser unless for some reason i have to be up!

i think i was on the tube a day or two after though.
Jul 6, 2008, 11:23pm   #12
Nasty Bish
I thought I'd resurrect this thread, since it is now 12:22 A.M. (my time) Monday morning.

It is now therefore July 7, 2008 the third anniversary of the London bombings.

Last edited Jul 6, 2008 at 11:28pm.
Jul 7, 2008, 12:22am   #13
Gimme.
I was at home, safe in California, sacked out in the middle of my living room floor with one of my friends after we'd come back from Santa Cruz. One of my friends, however, was in London. If I remember correctly, she was close by. I couldn't reach her for a while but she was ok.
Jul 7, 2008, 12:33am   #14
R
Roo
I have a VERY close friend who is like a sister to me who was there when it happened... I will never forget that day.
Jul 7, 2008, 1:43am   #15
~*bethy-lame-o*~
ummmm no idea.....
POST A REPLY
  HOME The Playground General Discussion