Home The Playground General Discussion

How do you determine your nationality?

POST A REPLY

Aug 11, 2006, 10:27am   #1
After having some pathetic idiot attempt to efight with me on ONTD about how to determine nationality, I figured it would be interesting to see how you all determine nationality (not in means of citizenship or anything..).

Here's what I believe:

Your nationality is made up of where your mother & father were born, and where their parents were born. NOTHING else! Yes, your relatives from a long time ago may have immigrated, and it's great that it's a part of your heritage but I don't consider it to be your nationality. I think all of this "I'm 1/34830th Italian, 2/3478709th Russian, and 7/43780th Turkish" stuff is....balony!

My nationality: I'm 1/2 German and 1/2 American. I was born in Germany. My mother is German and my father is American. I have both German and American citizenships, but I have lived the majority of my life in the United States, up until now.

What do you all think determines your nationality?
Aug 11, 2006, 10:39am   #2
The same as you. Mom was born in England to an English mother and Swedish father. Dad was born in Canada, on his side its all English too. My mom's side of the family are all Swedish, besides her mom who is a B**** anyways and doesn't count!
Aug 11, 2006, 10:42am   #3
Living life...
Well my dad is Polish so thats easy it makes me 1/2 Polish. My mom is 1/2 Irish 1/4 German and 1/4 French Canadian. So that leaves me with 1/4 Irish and then 1/4 German/French Canadian.

Hmmm...does that add up correctly? lol
Aug 11, 2006, 11:13am   #4
Uhm... I think this is a popular misconception. Nationality means

"The status of belonging to a particular nation by origin, birth, or naturalization."

This is given by your citizenship. I am a Czech national, if you have a US passport, you are 100% American.

I am really confused why most people start pulling out the fractions, when it's usually pretty clear what nationality they are.

If you talk about heritage.... THEN you can work the numbers and different nationalities.
Aug 11, 2006, 11:19am   #5
When strangers ask me, which is often, what my nationality is, I say I'm Canadian. :P
Aug 11, 2006, 11:25am   #6
Originally Posted by Vlad
Uhm... I think this is a popular misconception. Nationality means

"The status of belonging to a particular nation by origin, birth, or naturalization."

This is given by your citizenship. I am a Czech national, if you have a US passport, you are 100% American.

I am really confused why most people start pulling out the fractions, when it's usually pretty clear what nationality they are.

If you talk about heritage.... THEN you can work the numbers and different nationalities.
I couldn't figure out the right word, and I didn't want to use heritage :) I guess background would have been better?
Aug 11, 2006, 11:32am   #7
Wanderlust
I work in immigration, and we use whatever country has issued you a passport for nationality. I have a U.S. passport, I'm an U.S. nationale. I work with people who were born in India, but have Canadian passports, and they are technically considered a Canadian nationale.

I think people like to feel like they're unique, so they claim other things, like "I'm 1/99th Cheyenne!"

LOL, don't fight with people in ONTD, it's just not worth it!
Aug 11, 2006, 11:46am   #8
Quote:
LOL, don't fight with people in ONTD, it's just not worth it!
I usually don't, but this girl was just....URHGHHGHGHH23E4@#$@!!n :)
Aug 11, 2006, 11:59am   #9
i say out of all the things that go into it,
(like citizenship, countries of residence current and previous, what nationalities your parents and ancestors were),
--> whatever you decide your nationality is, for you, is what it is.

so, you could just say you're American, or that you're German-American, or American with German dual citizenship.

or, if you want to elaborate further (cos one's cultural background and heritage IS an important part of who one is, after all, so you may decide in some cases to elaborate): you may add that you also
- have (one/some/many) Turkish/Russian/Italian ancestors
- have Turkish/Russian/Italian ancestors in xyz proportions.

BUT, i think that "nationality" is just what citizenship/passport you hold, as distinct from "heritage/cultural background", which is the above elaborations.

and, i think it's idiotic for someone to actually pick an argument about this. but hey... some people get picky..
Aug 11, 2006, 12:01pm   #10
S
yeaaaah I think most people who go on ONTD actually LOOK for a fight.
Aug 11, 2006, 12:09pm   #11
S
OMG, Sina. I LOVE the pic of the little kitty!!!
Aug 11, 2006, 12:37pm   #12
I agree with the nationality and ethnic background distinction - I am Canadian by nationality, Japanese by cultural background.

And also sorry for the stupid question, but what it ONTD??
Aug 11, 2006, 12:39pm   #13
b
The Garden of Secret
yeah same here, when one asks of my nationality, i reframe it by my citizenship.... but if they still have a puzzled look in their faces, i talk about my country of origin.... then they could understand it better.. hehe
Aug 11, 2006, 12:41pm   #14
l
I agree 100% with Vlad.

I have a unique look and strangers are always coming up to me and asking about my "nationality."
I immediately answer "American", because:
a) it's not really their business since i've never met them before and b) i was in fact born and raised in the U.S.A.

If you want to know where my parents are from, or my ethnicity/heritage that's an entirely different question.
Aug 11, 2006, 12:52pm   #15
^i know, same here. it actually strikes me as rude and obnoxious, if not slightly racially small-minded, that just because someone isn't 100% Irish caucasian, they must be "from" overseas.
actually, this includes any conversation with someone i've just met that turns to where i might be "from" in the first 20mins.
i hate that in someone's mind, they're already putting my race up on the shortlist of what defines me as a person to them (to me, cultural background is on the list, but fairly far down).

i'm asian, and i get soo mad when people come up to me and start talking about China. i've only bloody holidayed there once.

i'm touchy about this, i know =D
POST A REPLY
  HOME The Playground General Discussion