Home The Playground General Discussion

Do you find terms of "endearment" demeaning?

POST A REPLY

Aug 9, 2006, 3:44pm   #31
Always A Princess
^ I'm Definitly A Sweetie Girl......I Can Think Of Worse Thing Things To Say.....HeHe LOL.....J/K. I Only Say It The Kindest Way & It's Been A Majority Of My Life....Not Just The South ~ I Guess I Fit In Here Perect! :-)

Why Would You Ever Call Someone Ma'am?????? Yuck!!!!! Or Dear???

JMO!!! :-)
Aug 9, 2006, 3:55pm   #32
Oh no she di-int!!
Yuck. I can't STAND 'sweetie' 'honey' 'darlin' or whatever coming from strangers. Ma'am is fine. OK, when I was 22 and someone first called me Ma'am I freaked out but I'm 39 now so I've come to accept it.

Family/friends...that's what these terms were made for, not strangers!!
Aug 9, 2006, 10:08pm   #33
King Louis' Mistress
Originally Posted by stllove
Is it just me, or does anyone else want to when someone calls them "sweetheart" "sweetie" or "hun"? Maybe it's because I'm only 19, but I find it so demeaning, especially when I don't know the person, or if it is an older man. I don't think I would mind as much if it was an SO...but ...what are your thoughts?
Depends on who's doing it, like anything else. My mom calls me bambi(na) and honey bunny, and I love it. My dad's best friend calls me "kiddo," and it fits in great with the way he talks.

On the other hand, if a guy I couldn't wait to get away from started calling me "babe," I'd
Aug 3, 2013, 12:57am   #34
I can't stand it when younger women call me sweetie, honey or sweetheart. If someone is old enough to be my mother, that's OK. But somehow when it's a young woman it comes across as patronizing. I told this to a young SA at the beauty supply store today. She called me sweetie and sweetheart repeatedly. I finally had to tell her I knew she was trying to be friendly but I don't like this.
Sep 3, 2013, 1:14am   #35
It would only bother me if a female stranger AROUND MY AGE calls me those names
Sep 3, 2013, 8:26am   #36
I don't like it. I use it with very close friends or family members, but beyond that, it should be eliminated from the vocabulary. Sometimes I think people use it just because they don't know your name, but to me it's demeaning.
Sep 3, 2013, 5:40pm   #37
+!That GUY with LV!+
It is very common in the South. Having been born and raised in Texas, it's never bothered me. I can somewhat understand how it can bother people, though. It really depends in what what context it's used. In general, there are far worse and more offensive things to be called than sweetie. Genuine kindness is so rare these days. I work with elderly people and it just makes me feel nice when they call me darlin' or sweetie.
Sep 3, 2013, 5:56pm   #38
I totally agree that it depends on who is doing it. I hate it when younger women in businesses (like hair salons as an example) do it.

When an older woman does it, I usually don't mind. My SIL does it and I think it is condescending...so it bugs me. When men I don't know do it, BIG TIME BUGS ME.

Again, I think the ONLY people I am ok with doing it are older women.
Sep 4, 2013, 6:34pm   #39
A
If a stranger calls me by an endearment I find that annoying and demeaning.

If said by a loved one - no, I like it. My parents never called each other or their kids by any endearments, I always called my loved ones (except my parents, brothers and sisters) by endearments.
Sep 4, 2013, 7:57pm   #40
Pirinja
What is really, genuinely demeaning is when women who are supposed to be friends call each other derogatory terms like "b**ch" and various words for prostitute as supposed terms of endearment. That is something I can't stand hearing.
Sep 5, 2013, 11:51am   #41
The Blonde Bag Lady
I guess it depends on how it's said. If someone says it in a condescending or snide way, then no, I don't care for it because of your tone. I work in a mostly male dominated industry (a car dealership) and a few of them call me sweetie and hun, but I like it! The only term of endearment I don't enjoy is being called ma'am. I am 25! I am not a ma'am! But sometimes being called sweetie and hun or other nicknames is flattering. Better than a lot of things people could call you, no? Lol!
Sep 5, 2013, 12:19pm   #42
For my job I have to make calls to the States every now and then and I've heard a lot of honey's and sweety's. One overseas colleague always calls me 'peach'.
I don't mind =)
Sep 5, 2013, 6:44pm   #43
I'm OK with sweetie, dear, honey. I used to work in a car repair shop and I've been called far more offensive things.
Sep 5, 2013, 11:09pm   #44
learning the ropes
I kind of want someone to call me mon petit chou (my little cabbage) because it cracks me up.
POST A REPLY
  HOME The Playground General Discussion