Home Shopping Resources eBay Forum

What is the best way to ship internationally?

POST A REPLY

Jan 8, 2008, 6:42pm   #1
s
I've never shipped outside of the U.S., so I don't really know how this works. Does customs charge a fee? My buyer's from Australia. I want to ship it to her in the cheapest way possible, so she doesn't feel like she's getting ripped off but at the same time I want to make sure everything's insured and tracked. Any advice would be wonderful..TIA!!!

P.S. I'm sending a small leather jacket, so I'm guessing the total weight would be somewhere between 1-3lbs.
Jan 8, 2008, 8:05pm   #2
If the package value including postage exceeds AUD$1000 then the buyer will have to pay Customs fees prior to delivery, Customs will assess the item when it arrives in Australia.
Jan 8, 2008, 8:12pm   #3
The best way to sent is via Express mail, it may be around $45 to ship but it will arrive fast. Also if I'm not mistaken it's insured uip to $100.
Jan 8, 2008, 8:23pm   #4
Doberhuahua!
Send it Express, not Priority. Express is the only way you can get tracking.
Jan 8, 2008, 8:24pm   #5
s
I have received packages both via USPS Global Express and USPS Priority International and they both take about the same time to get to Australia. From what i understand, express is significantly more expensive, so unless the item was expensive (and required tracking), I dont mind paying less for shipping and recieving it via USPS Priority International.
Jan 8, 2008, 8:26pm   #6
Doberhuahua!
Originally Posted by swetiecino
I have received packages both via USPS Global Express and USPS Priority International and they both take about the same time to get to Australia. From what i understand, express is significantly more expensive, so unless the item was expensive (and required tracking), I dont mind paying less for shipping and recieving it via USPS Priority International.
From a seller's point of view, though, she is required to provide tracking, regardless of the value of the item. Otherwise if she has a dishonest buyer who claims she didn't receive the item, the seller is out of luck and will lose a claim if one is placed against her.
Jan 8, 2008, 8:29pm   #7
Louis Vuitton Addict
^^^

Agreed never send a parcel without tracking, no way of proving delivery/receipt/non receipt otherwise!
Jan 8, 2008, 9:45pm   #8
s
Thank you SO much everybody!! Love the advice. Ok, so I've decided to ship via Express Mail International (Global Express is $20 more). Shipping will be around $30, but I get free $100 insurance and tracking. And since shipping is under AUD$1000, my buyer won't have to worry about customs fees.

Does that sound right?
Jan 8, 2008, 10:03pm   #9
Not sure if she have to pay fees. I think she don't pay only if you mark as a gift.
Jan 9, 2008, 2:42am   #10
This is taken from the Aust Customs website - so it doesn't necessarily have to be marked as a gift.

"All goods (except for tobacco products and alcoholic beverages) may be imported duty and tax free if their value is $1,000 or less.

Note: However, where there are multiple packages to the same addressee in Australia from a single consignor overseas that arrive at about the same time, then the value of all packages will be combined for duty and tax assessment purposes"
Jan 9, 2008, 3:14am   #11
Even if it's marked as a gift,if the value is over a certain amount,custom still has to be paid.
I prefer Express mail though 'cause it's much faster than priority..and like everyone else said,tracking is also provided.
Jan 9, 2008, 12:52pm   #12
t
Originally Posted by BagAngel
^^^

Agreed never send a parcel without tracking, no way of proving delivery/receipt/non receipt otherwise!
I've always used signature confirmation, (delivery confirmation if item is inexpensive) is that still a bad idea? I'm considering shipping internationally, but undecided.
Jan 9, 2008, 3:09pm   #13
My 'lil honeybun!
I use USPS Express International. It is very reasonable and you can insure and have label printed at home and picked up by your PO carrier.
Oct 19, 2009, 7:05pm   #14
b
Originally Posted by smallbag
I've never shipped outside of the U.S., so I don't really know how this works. Does customs charge a fee? My buyer's from Australia. I want to ship it to her in the cheapest way possible, so she doesn't feel like she's getting ripped off but at the same time I want to make sure everything's insured and tracked. Any advice would be wonderful..TIA!!!

P.S. I'm sending a small leather jacket, so I'm guessing the total weight would be somewhere between 1-3lbs.
I have used a parcel forwarding service in the past called shipito.com. They were great; charged me resonably lower than their competitiors. They ship anywhere in the world. Hope this helps!
POST A REPLY
  HOME Shopping Resources eBay Forum