Home Shopping Resources eBay Forum

USPS Tracking 17 digits? How long does it take for the tracking to show up?

POST A REPLY

Apr 17, 2010, 8:41pm   #1
n
The seller claimed she took the package to USPS at 4PM ET today but the tracking (17 digits) still says There is no record of this item.

Is this normal that it may be till the next day for the tracking to work?

Are there 17 digits trackings?

Help! Thanks
Apr 17, 2010, 8:44pm   #2
USPS only updates every work-day evening, so the tracking probably won't show up until Monday night. I thought USPS tracking was 22 digits though.
Apr 17, 2010, 8:45pm   #3
n
postal offices open on weekends no? so they should track?
Apr 17, 2010, 8:47pm   #4
Most post offices are either closed Saturdays or close around noon. Anything dropped off after that would be with the automated postal center machine.
Apr 17, 2010, 8:49pm   #5
p
Originally Posted by nycshopa
postal offices open on weekends no? so they should track?
Full tracking is only available for express packages. Priority mail and other packages with delivery confirmation sometimes get scanned only when they hit the destination post office prior to being delivered.

p-WA
Apr 17, 2010, 8:51pm   #6
n
so this 17 digit number is okay?

Normally it says ACCEPTED when the seller shipped on the tracking though even for packaging services and priority.
Apr 17, 2010, 8:52pm   #7
PURSE ADDICT
It's normal.
Apr 17, 2010, 8:53pm   #8
p
so this 17 digit number is okay?

Normally it says ACCEPTED when the seller shipped on the tracking though even for packaging services and priority.
No, it says ACCEPTED only when the package has been SCANNED. PO's are not required to scan DC packages. If the seller put it into the postal machine or a receptacle for packages in the PO it won't be scanned either, until it hits a sorting facility (if you are lucky) or the destination PO.

p-WA
Apr 17, 2010, 8:56pm   #9
n
Originally Posted by pippaWA
No, it says ACCEPTED only when the package has been SCANNED. PO's are not required to scan DC packages. If the seller put it into the postal machine or a receptacle for packages in the PO it won't be scanned either, until it hits a sorting facility (if you are lucky) or the destination PO.

p-WA
oh man that's annoying, I've always thought the PO scanned the package when they ship it. So now I can't expect the tracking to show anything until it reaches a sorting?
Apr 17, 2010, 8:58pm   #10
p
oh man that's annoying, I've always thought the PO scanned the package when they ship it. So now I can't expect the tracking to show anything until it reaches a sorting?
Yes, and they update the tracking once a day or so.

p-WA
Apr 17, 2010, 9:01pm   #11
n
do they update on weekends?
Apr 18, 2010, 2:21am   #12
T
Yes, I've even had updates on Sundays. Once the package is in the system, it keeps moving.
Apr 18, 2010, 9:19am   #13
n
:( still says no record of such item
Apr 18, 2010, 10:13am   #14
I have seen it take up to 24 hours for the PO to update things online. I only ship with Signature Confirmation, not Delivery Confirmation....so there might be a difference between the two. But it's been my experience that it can take up to 24 hours to update.
Apr 18, 2010, 11:28am   #15
T
It can take 24 hours for it to go from No Record to Electronic Shipping Received.
Is there a reason you are worried about this one?
POST A REPLY
  HOME Shopping Resources eBay Forum