Home Shopping Resources eBay Forum

Phone calls from Ebay

POST A REPLY

Sep 14, 2006, 10:52am   #1
Sofa King Broke
just wondering, has anyone receive phone calls from eBay? within the last month I have received 2 weird phone calls from eBay. The first one I picked the call, it was a man who asked for me, I responded "this is she", him: " this is a courtesy call from eBay. good bye" and he hang up on me. ...when I called the number back there is a recording from eBay saying that "eBay ocassionally make random courtesy calls and that no further actions were required from me.

Yesterday I have got another call from the same number. They didn't leave a message. Same recording again. What's going on?
Sep 14, 2006, 11:20am   #2
sounds very fishy. have you googled the number? or called eBay customer service and asked about it?
Sep 14, 2006, 11:44am   #3
B
i'm sure it is just like the phishing emails, trying to verify if this is you and your phone number...very strange!
Sep 14, 2006, 12:29pm   #4
s
I have heard actually that sometimes eBay does call, although they've never called me. Although just hanging up after calling does sound weird!
Sep 14, 2006, 12:48pm   #5
Flaunt your Fringe
I've had eBay call me before. It was just a courtesy call SURVEY! I answered their questions and that was it. They didn't ask for any of my info.
Sep 14, 2006, 2:01pm   #6
I had a call from eBay! It was courtesy call to let me know they were ending one of my listings. I had a pair of 38 shoes listed and advertised them as an 8 or 7.5, they thought I was trying to sell two pairs of shoes in the same listing!! I explained, but apparently it had already been processed.
I've also had eBay messages on my answering machine letting me know about upcoming promotions.
Sep 14, 2006, 6:28pm   #7
Wow, I never knew they called you when they end an auction. At least you knew why so you could relist it without problems.
Sep 15, 2006, 3:07am   #8
s
Yeah they will call you only if you are a power seller to give you the heads up they are pulling your listing. I never really understood the point because it's not like they don't pull it if they get you on the line.
Sep 16, 2006, 12:51am   #9
♥'s Cupcakes
I've never gotten any...only emails.
Sep 16, 2006, 12:57am   #10
l
Account Deactivated
Originally Posted by Lvbabydoll
I've never gotten any...only emails.
Me too! Never, I didn't even know they call you!
Sep 16, 2006, 10:25pm   #11
Material Girl
ive been a member on eBay for 4 years and ive never received any calls.. id probably assume that it was a scammer
Sep 17, 2006, 1:14pm   #12
I got called once from eBay for giving me tips? lol and one from paypal asking me questions like what am i selling and where i get it and asking if i send with tracking. weird calls like that they always say they're just trying to give you helping tips, but i personally find them very annoying =[
Sep 18, 2006, 3:38am   #13
springtime lavender
Since having incorrect contact information for your eBay profile is grounds for having your eBay id/account deregistered, my hunch is that they are randomly checking accounts as part of one of their Trust and Safety policing sweeps.
Sep 19, 2006, 12:58am   #14
s
Originally Posted by adoptastray
Since having incorrect contact information for your eBay profile is grounds for having your eBay id/account deregistered, my hunch is that they are randomly checking accounts as part of one of their Trust and Safety policing sweeps.

Ahhhhh sneaky sneaky. I bet you are right.
Dec 31, 2008, 5:45am   #15
d
Yes, I received one just the other day. The automated female voice said, "This is eBay calling. If you are expecting this call, press 1." I didn't press any buttons, but hung on while she repeated the message three more times. Then I was disconnected.
POST A REPLY
  HOME Shopping Resources eBay Forum