Home Shopping Resources eBay Forum

PayPal and Immediate Payment - how long for funds to clear?

POST A REPLY

Jan 1, 2008, 10:36pm   #1
*starry*
I just bought a bag on eBay using Buy It Now. Immediate payment was required and I paid through PayPal using my credit card. I got an email from the seller saying that she will ship the bag once the funds clear her PayPal account and it usually takes 2 or 3 business days. I thought that the funds would have been immediately received in her account? Is there a delay in paying by credit card through PayPal? I'm curious because I'm a seller myself and I've never heard of this rule. I'm just wondering if I should be waiting 2-3 days if buyers pay with cc through PayPal to make sure the funds are clear before shipping the item?
Jan 1, 2008, 10:49pm   #2
yyz
In The Land Of OZ!
I'm almost positive, but it would be almost instantly.
As it does in the store or we would never be able to take anything home with us, Right?
All the things that I have bought shipped the next day..... except one and that's a whole nother' thread!
I would be wondering where that seller got that info from?

Good Luck and I'm sure it will ship soon!
Jan 2, 2008, 9:21am   #3
love me some bags!
I sell items thru a selling assistant on eBay (she's awesome & she deals with all the insane questions & off the wall offers on my bags!) and it seems the funds kind of "percolate" in her account for a couple of days before she can release them, too.
Jan 2, 2008, 9:37am   #4
Immediate pay, doesn't mean immediate ship.
More and More sellers are using the immediate pay option to weed out NPB and bidders that take forever to pay, give excuses.... etc.
Also, some sellers will wait until the funds clear their account so that if there is some sort of a problem, (the buyer says they didn't authorize the credit card charge and the seller already sent the bag and now the funds have been taken out of the sellers account and the bag has been sent and the seller is out both funds and bag). - This happened to my sister.
It's only a matter of 2 or 3 days, not beyond the eBay required shipping time.
Jan 2, 2008, 11:57am   #5
k
paypal actually recommends that sellers wait a few days to make sure there isn't a chargeback because the credit card was stolen. i generally wait until the funds have been transferred into my bank account which takes 3-5 days.
Jan 2, 2008, 2:59pm   #6
I got a message once (from Paypal) when I sold an item to wait for the funds to clear but I don't recall how the buyer paid for the item.
Jan 2, 2008, 3:01pm   #7
As far as the chargeback, 2 or 3 days doesn't seem like it would help if your card was stolen. Most people won't know for that there card has been stolen within 2 or 3 days.
Jan 2, 2008, 6:44pm   #8
Luvs Leather
It's probably safer to ship after funds have been transferred into sellers bank account which takes a few days.
Jan 2, 2008, 7:25pm   #9
My 'lil honeybun!
Originally Posted by starrymaz
I just bought a bag on eBay using Buy It Now. Immediate payment was required and I paid through PayPal using my credit card. I got an email from the seller saying that she will ship the bag once the funds clear her PayPal account and it usually takes 2 or 3 business days. I thought that the funds would have been immediately received in her account? Is there a delay in paying by credit card through PayPal? I'm curious because I'm a seller myself and I've never heard of this rule. I'm just wondering if I should be waiting 2-3 days if buyers pay with cc through PayPal to make sure the funds are clear before shipping the item?

That is ...

Instant Payment is just that-whether the funds are Credit Card or Paypal funds...
The only cause for delay is if an eCheck was used in Paypal and then it can actually take upto 5-7 days sometimes. Sounds like a shipping delay to me. However, Paypal considers any item shipped within 7 days of RECEIVING payment to be timely-if it goes beyond that I would contact seller ASAP.

eCheck?
An eCheck is an electronic funds transfer that withdraws money directly from your bank account. It's just like writing a check, only it is done electronically.
  • When you send money with an eCheck from a U.S. bank account, the transaction is held as pending for 3-4 business days, until the electronic funds transfer clears your bank
  • When you send money with an eCheck from a Canadian bank account, the transaction is held as pending for 7-8 business days, until the electronic funds transfer clears your bank
  • When you send money with an eCheck from a U.K. bank account, the transaction is held as pending for 7-9 business days, until the electronic funds transfer clears your bank
  • When you send money with an eCheck from an Australian bank account, the transaction is held as pending for 7-8 business days, until the electronic funds transfer clears your bank.
Jan 2, 2008, 7:25pm   #10
I don't think it's proper to wait. Immediate payment was required and made. The seller has the buyer's money and should ship immediately. I always do. The money will be in your bank account by the the time the item reaches the buyer.
Jan 2, 2008, 7:44pm   #11
My 'lil honeybun!
If a seller receives the email message from Paypal:

Dear Hxxxx Sx,

You have an Instant Payment of $321.00 USD from justanexample(justanexample@online.com).

View the details of this transaction online
It may take a few moments for this transaction to appear in the Recent Activity list on your Account Overview

Those funds are readily available to the seller. (Personally as a seller I immediately move them out of Paypal)

If you are paid via eCheck you get this notice...

Dear xxxx xxxxxxxxxxx,

This email confirms that you have received a Pending eCheck Instant Purchase Payment for $328.95 USD from xxxxxx xxxxxxx(xxxxxxx@yahoo.com).

This eCheck Payment will remain "Uncleared" until the funds have cleared from the sender's account, which usually takes 4 business days. If you are shipping an item, please do not ship your item until the funds have cleared into your PayPal account. You will be notified by email when the funds have cleared into your PayPal balance.

And you will get another email once the payment has cleared and the item is OK to send...

Dear xxxxxx xxxxxx,

This email confirms that the Pending eCheck you have received for $328.95 USD from xxxxxxx@yahoo.com has cleared

I would guess that unless you sent an eCheck this is just the seller handling time... not a delay in the seller getting the funds.
POST A REPLY
  HOME Shopping Resources eBay Forum