Home Shopping Resources eBay Forum

Oh my. eBay suspends well known re-seller


POST A REPLY
 
Thread Tools
Mar 24, 2014, 9:15pm   #1
missbanff's Avatar
Thread Starter
S'up, homie.
I always thought this seller had an excellent reputation.

Frankly, I'm shocked.

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Seller-.../td-p/19907828
Mar 24, 2014, 9:26pm   #2
jellyv's Avatar
Member
Without a batch of SNAD cases in history, or reputation for selling fakes, it just could be that competitors are behind it.
Mar 24, 2014, 10:03pm   #3
BeenBurned's Avatar
Member
I think her problem is in not fighting the VeRO takedowns. eBay probably saw that as an admission of some sort.
Mar 24, 2014, 10:13pm   #4
b
Member
This is downright unfair and ridiculous. It makes me so upset that they would do this to someone's business and accuse them of violations with no concrete evidence. The feedback is what is important, not some secret unnamed enforcers that have never even seen an item. Let the buyers make the choice.

It is so so obvious that eBay are terrified of the big corporates like Louis Vuitton and other big brand names. It's policing and bullying by these corporations to remove selling pre loved designer products. eBay rule with an iron fist with no actual investigation when they implement one of their policies. Their search processes are automated by computers and when a violation comes crashing down on someone legitimate they never do anything about it when a seller questions it. They just back themselves up with some ridiculous paragraph they find somewhere in their secret policy book that no one has knowledge of and ask the seller to jump through some random hoops.

This sentence below that eBay responded with is what I really think this is about...

"....concerns that may cause legal or financial liabilities on the site, we will take appropriate action resolve such liability..."

They don't want to get sued.
Mar 24, 2014, 10:19pm   #5
jellyv's Avatar
Member
[QUOTE=bliss_cathy]The feedback is what is important, not some secret unnamed enforcers that have never even seen an item. Let the buyers make the choice.

It is so so obvious that eBay are terrified of the big corporates like Louis Vuitton and other big brand names. It's policing and bullying by these corporations to remove selling pre loved designer products. [QUOTE]


Actually, it's authenticity and brand protection that are important, since buyers are at the mercy of representations online without "seeing" the items either. I have no issue with VERO prosecution and wish it was more enforced, not less. It's impossible to know in this case what the deal is. I didn't fully read what the seller did in response to VERO, but possibly that beast wasn't satisfied.
Mar 24, 2014, 10:27pm   #6
b
Member
[QUOTE=jellyv;26466922][QUOTE=bliss_cathy]The feedback is what is important, not some secret unnamed enforcers that have never even seen an item. Let the buyers make the choice.

It is so so obvious that eBay are terrified of the big corporates like Louis Vuitton and other big brand names. It's policing and bullying by these corporations to remove selling pre loved designer products.
Quote:


Actually, it's authenticity and brand protection that are important, since buyers are at the mercy of representations online without "seeing" the items either. I have no issue with VERO prosecution and wish it was more enforced, not less. It's impossible to know in this case what the deal is. I didn't fully read what the seller did in response to VERO, but possibly that beast wasn't satisfied.
I did read the whole thread. My understanding from what I read was that she technically didn't get a VERO (though correct me if I am wrong) but that the violations were because anonymous people questioned her product authenticity and reported her. When she questioned this the CS reps just deflected and referred to her to policy links such as quantity she was selling. The response to her questions were very unhelpful.

If she is guilty of something, I believe that the evidence should be substantial and a thorough investigation performed. However I believe rather than to risk anything, eBay would rather remove the seller.
Last edited Mar 24, 2014 at 10:35pm.
Mar 24, 2014, 10:34pm   #7
l
Member
Originally Posted by BeenBurned
I think her problem is in not fighting the VeRO takedowns. eBay probably saw that as an admission of some sort.
Agree 100%. Sellers must address VeRO or other takedowns. They are difficult to deal with due to VeRO members not responding and take weeks to clear up, but giving up will not make them go away.
Mar 24, 2014, 10:46pm   #8
b
Member
This is quoted from the thread a few times:

"- Your listing was brought to our attention by multiple members of the community who reported it for questionable authenticity-

Again when you get this message, it is NOT a VERO takedown. At least with a rights holder, eBay has a procedure to follow. If you are being reported by other eBay members (be they buyers or sellers) you don't get to 'face your accuser' so to speak."

This was referred to several times in the thread which had me of the the understanding it was not a VERO. I don't know much about VEROs so only commented on what I read.

It just sounds really unfortunate for the seller and I do think eBay also uses automated responses which make putting a case forward extremely difficult. She did respond on multiple times, she copied and pasted her responses and the CS responses and did not get anywhere.
Last edited Mar 24, 2014 at 10:51pm.
Mar 24, 2014, 10:49pm   #9
b
Member
Sorry DP
Mar 24, 2014, 11:16pm   #10
BeenBurned's Avatar
Member
Originally Posted by bliss_cathy
This is downright unfair and ridiculous. It makes me so upset that they would do this to someone's business and accuse them of violations with no concrete evidence. The feedback is what is important, not some secret unnamed enforcers that have never even seen an item. Let the buyers make the choice.
While I agree with much of what you've posted, I disagree with the red part.

It's NOT the feedback that's important. There are sellers who have 100% feedback and wouldn't know a genuine *anything* if it bit them. There are other sellers who have mixed authentic and fake as well as sellers who have never sold an authentic item but were either "lucky" enough to have a buyer who didn't know the difference or if their buyer knew they got a fake, they pled ignorance and shock that the item is fake, offered profuse apologies and issued a refund. Buyers were so happy to get the refund that they rewarded the "honest seller" with positive feedback.

In this case, there were VeRO takedowns as well as reports from the community. This seller sold some items that were not commonly seen and as such, may have been perceived as fake and reported as such. I do NOT believe that "competitors" report authentic items in order to get rid of the competition as stated by some of the posters.

In her OP, she stated "In the past years, from time to time, I received eBay's email saying that my items have violated VERO's and they had to take off my listings." And again, in post 15, she again referred to the VeRO reports.

She also said that she suspected that other sellers may have reported too. In the second post she made, she referred to the notice she received in January. Those listings were removed as a result of community reports.

But I contend that it's the VeRO takedowns that she didn't stay on top of that were her downfall.
Mar 24, 2014, 11:29pm   #11
b
Member
Thanks for correcting me everyone, I should not have posted something I am not an expert about. As I said I am not familiar enough with Veros.

It did seem so sad that she built up a reputation over 10 years but I do understand that feedback can mean naught and didn't realise that people would still give positive feedback despite receiving a fake item.

I do understand that there are posters who know a million times more than me so I am sorry for stating things incorrectly.

My reaction was quite emotional in that I felt really really bad for the seller.
Mar 24, 2014, 11:38pm   #12
f
fop
Originally Posted by BeenBurned
This seller sold some items that were not commonly seen and as such, may have been perceived as fake and reported as such.
This ^ - combined with the fact that she chose the most unfortunate seller-ID imaginable, esp. for an LV reseller.
Mar 24, 2014, 11:41pm   #13
b
Member
lol, I agree the name was unfortunate.
Mar 25, 2014, 12:05am   #14
BeenBurned's Avatar
Member
Originally Posted by friponne
This ^ - combined with the fact that she chose the most unfortunate seller-ID imaginable, esp. for an LV reseller.
A lot of seller's use their own names and she used hers.

isn't it sad that all of Asia has the perception of being counterfeit capital of the world?
Mar 25, 2014, 12:25am   #15
f
fop
Originally Posted by BeenBurned
A lot of seller's use their own names and she used hers.

isn't it sad that all of Asia has the perception of being counterfeit capital of the world?
Yes, it is sad.
What is also sad is that it's not only perception but a fact as well. Which is very unfair on all the legit Asian sellers like the one in the OP.

There's also a legion of thoroughly misleading, inaccurate "how to spot a fake.." *guides* circulating on the internet, and many self-appointed *expert* vigilantes are too trigger-happy with the report button when they encounter a Chinese-sounding name.

Widespread perceptions (prejudices) are extremely difficult to change, the most the individual can do is not to make oneself suspectible to them.
POST A REPLY
  HOME Shopping Resources eBay Forum  
TOP

Thread Tools