Visit our 2014 Holiday Gift Guides
Home > >

Buyer wants me to declare lower value - plz advise

POST A REPLY

Sep 1, 2010, 5:25pm   #31
Nyria
Diggin TPF
If it gets lost in the mail you won't get your full money in insuarnce back -- only what you declared it as.
Buyer may say she will pay but that's just her word - it doesn't mean she'll actually do it - and when stuck with the bill she could change her mind.
Only risk what you are willing to lose
Sep 2, 2010, 5:12am   #32
p
petit papillon
As a buyer outside of the US, I must say that I ask this a lot and really appreciate if the seller does that for me...

I love buy from US ebay, you guys don't know how lucky you are! lol I have paid almost 70€ import tax (90USD approx) on a 120USD dress, the bargain turned out to a nightmare... I always ask before bidding though, if the seller doesn't agree (especially on an expensive item) then I just pass the item by even sometimes I really want it and ready to pay pretty a lot for it...

I know it is against the law, but I thought I'd just through my 2 cents in as an oversea's buyer...
Sep 2, 2010, 6:24am   #33
marie-lou
Chocolate Heaven
Originally Posted by northerndancer
it is done... A lot. The chances of legal repercussions are slim to nil. However, some consider it morally wrong. And there are the insurance issues - even if the buyer agrees to absorb the loss if the shipment goes missing, the seller has no recourse with either paypal on an inr claim or a credit card company on a chargeback.

If you don't feel right about it, don't do it.
ita!
Sep 2, 2010, 8:49am   #34
shopalot
somebody stop me!
Do you know what the threshold is for them having to pay customs?
If the bag is worth $500 and they are only allowed up to $50 with no customs charge, (for instance) I would not do it, the difference in value is too risky!
Sep 2, 2010, 10:01am   #35
jperiwinkle
wow this is crazy!
I never actually thought of it like this.
Sep 2, 2010, 10:47am   #36
missD
Even if you declare it at the correct price, if you don't purchase insurance for it, then you are SOL if it gets lost or damaged once it gets to the buyer.
Sep 2, 2010, 11:26am   #37
H
HoboAuthentic
Account Deactivated
Tha Canada Customs house has about 12 lockers filled with eBay goods that were seized for lying on customs forms. The biggest mistake sellers make is lowering the value yet still sending the invoice with correct amount on it . Canada for 1 opens a lot of packages from the USA and UK. The Canadians are not dumb. They keep your item and nobody gets it and then you get a dispute from the buyer. In addition Canada Customs trains inspectors to understand values of goods. You may not include an invoice but if it says $100 and it is a Chanel bag, based on Canada law, they have the right to deem it fraudulent and seize the parcel. Other countries that open packages a lot are Great Britain, Germany, Spain, Thailand, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Australia, Greece, South Africa and Ukraine
Sep 2, 2010, 12:36pm   #38
northerndancer
What, me worry?
Originally Posted by HoboAuthentic
The Canadians are not dumb.
No we're not. But, for the record, of the 200+ ebay purchases I have made from the US and UK, none of them have been inspected.

I do agree that the greatest risk is with items that have a commonly known high value. I would think Chanels and LV's would be at great risk. Aside from the moral/legal issues, I think the main problem with this situation is that the benefit is to the buyer and the risk is to the seller. If the risk could somehow be transferred to the buyer, it might not be such a hot potato.
Sep 2, 2010, 12:39pm   #39
shinymagpie
vintage bag lady
Originally Posted by HoboAuthentic
Tha Canada Customs house has about 12 lockers filled with eBay goods that were seized for lying on customs forms. The biggest mistake sellers make is lowering the value yet still sending the invoice with correct amount on it . Canada for 1 opens a lot of packages from the USA and UK. The Canadians are not dumb. They keep your item and nobody gets it and then you get a dispute from the buyer. In addition Canada Customs trains inspectors to understand values of goods. You may not include an invoice but if it says $100 and it is a Chanel bag, based on Canada law, they have the right to deem it fraudulent and seize the parcel. Other countries that open packages a lot are Great Britain, Germany, Spain, Thailand, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Australia, Greece, South Africa and Ukraine
You can add Japan to that list. I have had several customs bills when I have been shopping online. These weren't even high value items particularly.
Sep 2, 2010, 12:42pm   #40
shinymagpie
vintage bag lady
Originally Posted by jperiwinkle
wow this is crazy!
I never actually thought of it like this.
You are in Australia - Your import duty threshold is AU$1000. Even if you take the lousy exchange rates into account, you have a nice starting point.
Sep 3, 2010, 7:52am   #41
shopalot
somebody stop me!
Exactly! If the bag is worth $1200 then if I was shipping it to AU, I might be inclined to declare the value as $1000, but to go any lower than that would not make any sense, you would be asking for trouble if you put $500 for instance!
Sep 3, 2010, 9:01am   #42
inlovewithvuitt
My little devil
Originally Posted by vernis-lover
I'd be wary of this and I will tell you for why.

I had an Indonesian bidder ask the same thing in June (after purchase). I refused and said they could have an immediate refund or I would ship with the full declared value. They wanted the items shipped, obviously hoping they wouldn't be stung for customs. In fact, they got quite a large customs bill. They refused to take delivery of the package; in fact, to-date the parcel is still in Indonesia customs. They did a 'transaction not authorised' chargeback with their card provider and now have a full refund of around 1800 USD. I still have no items back. Indonesian customs may or may not send them back to me and, if they do, I am responsible for return shipping costs so I will be out of pocket on two way shipping costs. Assuming I get the parcel back otherwise I am out the 1800 too.

I will now, never, ship to Asia again. UK, USA, Canada, Europe and Australia only for me.

So I think the question is the same both ways: if you under-declare and the parcel gets lost, are you happy to just write the money off? If you fully declare and the buyer refuses to accept delivery, are you happy to write the money off?

Or just apologise and block the bidder to be on the safe side. I know it's harsh but everything has shifted way too much in the buyer's favour these days and you've got to look out for yourself as a seller.

Why all Asia?? No offences but I felt that it's unfair for you to cross out Asia totally because of just one country?
Sep 3, 2010, 9:04am   #43
inlovewithvuitt
My little devil
Originally Posted by sslfn
Vernis-lover, your story frigthens me. One Singapore bidder won my $2k Chanel bag. Before the acution was over, she asked me the same thing and I rejected. After she won, she asked me the same question again, and of course I said no. I told her I can issue a full refund if she changed her mind. She said go ahead to ship with full declared value.

After I read your story, I wonder I should cancle the transaction all togehter. She seems to have good feedback and has history of buying chanel bags.

Anyone, any advise? I am new to selling on ebay and have score of 4-5. The international sell just worries me.

Vernis-lover, if the custom is not going to ship you the bag, aren't you able to claim the insurance to get your money back?

Thanks in advance!

Hi, I am from singapore. Our taxes is 7% and I guess if she asked you to go away, it will be fine. She should have calculated the taxes already. :)
Sep 3, 2010, 9:10am   #44
c
cutiepiescloset
Don't do it!! Even if she agreed to insure at a lessor amount you are 100% liable for the package until it arrives...
Sep 3, 2010, 10:13am   #45
jeshika
I want this one! <3
Originally Posted by inlovewithvuitt
Hi, I am from singapore. Our taxes is 7% and I guess if she asked you to go away, it will be fine. She should have calculated the taxes already. :)
i was going to say the same. sslfn, your buyer knows full well how much taxes she will have to pay... it's not going to be a surprise. the singaporean government taxes everybody equally! in vernis lover's case, the buyer decided to take a chance, hoping they wouldn't get hit by customs charges and took it out on the seller when they did.

and OP, I wouldn't under declare... according to a DHL rep i spoke with awhile ago, duties in malaysia are about 10% on luxury goods (leather goods and watches)... it's really not that bad for the buyer.
POST A REPLY
  HOME > >