Home Shopping Resources eBay Forum

Bank reversal of payment--Should I worry?

POST A REPLY

May 20, 2009, 11:05pm   #1
I recently sold a Coach wallet on eBay. The total was $130 plus $5 shipping. The buyer has 100% feedback (not that that really matters since you can't leave buyers negative feedback) and has a feedback score of 165. She immediately paid when I accepted her best offer price on May 14. I then mailed the wallet to her on May 16. I got confirmation that the item was received on May 18th. Today, I got an e-mail from paypal stating the following:

We were recently notified that a payment you received was reversed by the buyer’s bank. A bank reversal can be requested by the bank itself or the bank account holder.

We have placed a temporary hold on the funds until our inquiry is complete.

We are reviewing the bank reversal and will contact you again via email with information on what to do next. You may be asked to provide additional information about this transaction.

I'm so mad right now. What reason would the bank have for reversing the payment? I can't think of any, which makes me think that the buyer herself reversed the payment. Is there anything I should be doing right now, or just wait until paypal contacts me? $135 isn't a huge amount, but it's enough that I'm really pissed off about it!! What interesting is that the buyer also purchased a purse and wristlet from different sellers that match the wallet I sent her. Would it be inappropriate for me to contact those sellers to see if their payments were reversed?

Thanks in advance for your help. I've bought and sold on eBay for over 12 years and this is the first problem I've ever had. I sure do miss the old days of eBay.
May 20, 2009, 11:16pm   #2
I do not have any good answers. If I were in your position, I would contact the buyer to let her know the situation and ask her if she can shed some light. You can either email or telephone the buyer.
May 20, 2009, 11:23pm   #3
tori
Was the address you shipped to a confirmed one? Hopefully it's just a mix up but in the case that you wound up with a wretched buyer who wants something for free then you may want to make sure to have all communication and tracking information on hand in case PP needs it.

I don't know all the ins and outs of PP but I would hope that if you shipped to a confirmed address and used DC or SC then you would be covered.
May 20, 2009, 11:28pm   #4
Jenn
paypal is so risky for sellers nowadays, I too hope that it was just a mix up on the buyer's part...

but I would definitely contact the buyer first, then call paypal to let them know the situation, I recently had a problem buyer on eBay as well, it cld be buyer's remorse/ scamming anything..- luckily for me, it was just buyer's remorse and she gave me back my bag..but still it was a stressful few days as I was worried that it was a scammer

it's really quite scary for sellers nowadays..even if you had a delivery confirmation, I think the way some scam buyers get around it is if they claim that what you sent was SNAD - significantly not as described..- if they file such a dispute, and paypal will usually make them return u the item, but the problem is paypal is not that great with making sure the item that was sent back is yours, they will automatically give the refund, and u can then appeal which is a lengthy process and from what I've been reading, they usually decide in favour of buyer because if the buyer asks for a chargeback/ bank reversal, paypal has to bear the costs and they try to leech off the seller for the money kwim?

well thats the worst case scenario, let's hope it was a mix up! good luck!
May 20, 2009, 11:29pm   #5
Addict
If she paid by an Instant Transfer from her bank account and it was NSF, it's possible that paypal will reverse the payment from you so paypal won't be at a lost. It can happen and has happened to me as a seller. So basically she keeps the item and her money and you get diddly squat.

You can email the buyer and ask her to pay you, but with so much dishonesty going around.. you may or may not her from her again.. and really there is nothing you can do but accept your loses and move on... and file a NPB.

Or it can be paypal running an investigation on her account for some reason or another and eventually they will reverse the reversal...
Last edited May 20, 2009 at 11:55pm.
May 20, 2009, 11:40pm   #6
just one more...
I have heard so many stories like this recently with scammers doing this. i just DON'T understand how Paypal can REVERSE payment! It is so bizarre to me.

Anyways, hopefully this won't be one of those cases. I agree with what others have said about contacting the buyer immediately and see if she knows anything or even responds. If not, then you can start to worry...but I would really hope Paypal will take care of you if you have proof of shipment to a confirmed address....good luck and keep us posted!
May 20, 2009, 11:47pm   #7
As soon as I saw the e-mail from paypal, I e-mailed them back requesting additional information and clarification. I then e-mailed the buyer and asked her what was going on. I advised her that she either need to put the funds back into my paypal account or return the item immediately. I'll let you know what she says, if anything! If it doesn't get worked out I will file a NPB with eBay. I'm just not sure how long I have to wait in order to do this. Do I need to wait until Paypal is done with their "investigation"?
May 20, 2009, 11:51pm   #8
Jenn
^ I would call paypal tomorrow - but then I'm a bit impatient, hopefully your buyer made a mistake..or will at least return the item!

please do post her ID on the blocked buyers list so we can all block her...

and not all hope is lost!

good luck again!
May 21, 2009, 12:04am   #9
T
What is the buyer's ID? I want to block her too.
May 21, 2009, 12:08am   #10
YES, u should worry.

I had this happen to me once or twice. Never got my money back.
May 21, 2009, 12:08am   #11
Jenn
^ wow, so sorry to hear that...
May 21, 2009, 12:10am   #12
T
Originally Posted by LouisLady
YES, u should worry.

I had this happen to me once or twice. Never got my money back.

Did paypal do anything at all??
May 21, 2009, 12:16am   #13
y
Well maybe the buyer didnt have money in the bank that why..
May 21, 2009, 12:16am   #14
Originally Posted by TXCoachGirlie
Did paypal do anything at all??
Nope. They didn't. I have high volume sales and 99% are all fine. (And I hope it stays that way!) Just that 1% that I had to unfortunately deal with.

That last one was a buyer in UK and the payment from that buyer got bank reversed. I seemed to have a very good communication going on with the buyer. She kept in really good contact and told me should would take care of the problem. I waited around and gave her the benefit of the doubt. Weeks pass on by and she never replied anymore.

LUCKILY, she sent me 2 separate payments..only 1 of them got reversed and it was the lower amount one. Even though I lost that 2nd payment, I still made my profit on just the first one for the whole sale.
May 21, 2009, 12:40am   #15
Originally Posted by yenanh00
Well maybe the buyer didnt have money in the bank that why..
This is what I'm hoping. I'm holding out hope that this is just some glitch or something that can easily be explained and worked out. If not, I'll definitely post the buyer's ID. I want to wait until I have more details before I blacklist someone.
POST A REPLY
  HOME Shopping Resources eBay Forum