Visit our 2014 Holiday Gift Guides
Home > >

Attn Honest Ebay Sellers!!

POST A REPLY
 
Thread Tools
Sep 19, 2012, 2:11am   #1
hikarupanda's Avatar
Thread Starter
hikarupanda
Member
I want to write this for all honest ebay sellers out there. At this point I really don't know what I should or will do next, but I feel like I should spread out the word to warn other honest ebay sellers out there who don't realize how vulnerable we really are on ebay/paypal....

Long story short, I sold a bag, over $2000, I shipped it overnight express, tracking number, signature required, insurance coverage. I did everything I thought I could do to protect myself. Well, the next day, buyer said it was an empty box. Fast forward to a month later:

1) USPS denied my insurance claim b/c the box has no sign of damage (meaning USPS believes that the item was NOT lost or stolen during transit which took less than 24 hours). Ok, so if I did in fact put the bag inside the shipping box, and USPS is saying the shipping box still looks intact, not damaged not tampered not like someone opened it and re-sealed it, WHAT DOES IT MEAN PAYPAL??

2) Well, PayPal sided with the buyer because the buyer submitted "evidence," which was a police report I believe. So here's my question: Does filing a police report necessarily mean that she REALLY got an empty box with no bag inside?? I mean, compared to other much more serious crimes, would the police even investigate this case (and how to do so? Go to her home to see if she really got the bag?!)? Honestly, if a scammer starts off with an ill intent to steal, which is already a crime, would he care that now he's committing yet another crime, which is filing a false police report? I don't know the answer, but I just don't see how a police report could be seen as an important and absolutely valid evidence to prove an empty box claim. I also contacted law enforcement too and provided my statements as I have nothing to hide, so why PayPal took her word and not mine?

So now, I am out of bag and out of $$. PayPal is useless, they have the nerve to tell me that was a "business risk" I was willing to take when I chose to sell on ebay, can you believe that?

So all you honest people out there, please please please do NOT sell on eBay and do NOT use PayPal!! And insurance (at least for USPS) does NOTHING when you are being scammed by a stranger who actually did receive an item but lied about not receiving it.

Any lawyer out there? I need to know what are my legal options should I decide to pursue it. Please PM me!

Being a widow single mom with a little child, my life is stressful enough, I really don't know why people would go out and ruin other people's life like that!
Sep 19, 2012, 2:21am   #2
z
zinacef
Member
I remember your old thread on this, so was this the result of the investigation? if so, i'm really sorry it turned out this way. ebay and paypal seemed to be so predictable with their decisions nowadays, that's the reason why i'm so scared of selling using ebay. there's just not enough words to say sorry about this. God bless!, H.
Sep 19, 2012, 2:25am   #3
hikarupanda's Avatar
Thread Starter
hikarupanda
Member
Originally Posted by zinacef
I remember your old thread on this, so was this the result of the investigation? if so, i'm really sorry it turned out this way. ebay and paypal seemed to be so predictable with their decisions nowadays, that's the reason why i'm so scared of selling using ebay. there's just not enough words to say sorry about this. God bless!, H.
Yes, that's the whatever investigation they did, I actually appealed it once and they denied my appeal within 3 hours stating that since the buyer said the box was empty, she can't return anything back to me, WTH??? I don't want an empty box, I want either my money or my bag back.

Good that you are so scared to sell on ebay. Please do NOT sell on ebay, EVER!!
Sep 19, 2012, 2:33am   #4
z
zinacef
Member
Hi H, forget to say that there is such thing as karma, it will be there soon enough. Good luck on your next selling endeavor. Z
Sep 19, 2012, 2:34am   #5
hikarupanda's Avatar
Thread Starter
hikarupanda
Member
Originally Posted by zinacef
Hi H, forget to say that there is such thing as karma, it will be there soon enough. Good luck on your next selling endeavor. Z
Oh no, not anymore! Nowadays I only sell my stuff to consignment stores. No ebay, no paypal, no headache or heart attack!
Sep 19, 2012, 2:36am   #6
Tropigal3's Avatar
Tropigal3
Member
Ugh! I'm so sorry about this happening to you! I wanted to sell a Chanel bag but reading things such as what happened to you...I just don't want to take a chance. Shame on that buyer!
Sep 19, 2012, 2:37am   #7
hikarupanda's Avatar
Thread Starter
hikarupanda
Member
Originally Posted by tropigal3
ugh! I'm so sorry about this happening to you! I wanted to sell a chanel bag but reading things such as what happened to you...i just don't want to take a chance. Shame on that buyer!
do not sell on ebay!! Just sell to a reputable consignment stores!! I am serious!
Sep 19, 2012, 4:57am   #8
StylishFarmer's Avatar
StylishFarmer
Member
This is just cr@p!!! I'm an honest eBay buyer and it has never crossed my mind to do anything like that. I hope karma comes back and bites that person in the @ss!!!!
Sep 19, 2012, 5:23am   #9
M
Mayte
Member
Absolutely sad story. I hope you get good things in your way.
Sep 19, 2012, 6:14am   #10
o
onceuponatime
Account Deactivated
Originally Posted by hikarupanda
I want to write this for all honest ebay sellers out there. At this point I really don't know what I should or will do next, but I feel like I should spread out the word to warn other honest ebay sellers out there who don't realize how vulnerable we really are on ebay/paypal....

Long story short, I sold a bag, over $2000, I shipped it overnight express, tracking number, signature required, insurance coverage. I did everything I thought I could do to protect myself. Well, the next day, buyer said it was an empty box. Fast forward to a month later:

1) USPS denied my insurance claim b/c the box has no sign of damage (meaning USPS believes that the item was NOT lost or stolen during transit which took less than 24 hours). Ok, so if I did in fact put the bag inside the shipping box, and USPS is saying the shipping box still looks intact, not damaged not tampered not like someone opened it and re-sealed it, WHAT DOES IT MEAN PAYPAL??

2) Well, PayPal sided with the buyer because the buyer submitted "evidence," which was a police report I believe. So here's my question: Does filing a police report necessarily mean that she REALLY got an empty box with no bag inside?? I mean, compared to other much more serious crimes, would the police even investigate this case (and how to do so? Go to her home to see if she really got the bag?!)? Honestly, if a scammer starts off with an ill intent to steal, which is already a crime, would he care that now he's committing yet another crime, which is filing a false police report? I don't know the answer, but I just don't see how a police report could be seen as an important and absolutely valid evidence to prove an empty box claim. I also contacted law enforcement too and provided my statements as I have nothing to hide, so why PayPal took her word and not mine?

So now, I am out of bag and out of $$. PayPal is useless, they have the nerve to tell me that was a "business risk" I was willing to take when I chose to sell on ebay, can you believe that?

So all you honest people out there, please please please do NOT sell on eBay and do NOT use PayPal!! And insurance (at least for USPS) does NOTHING when you are being scammed by a stranger who actually did receive an item but lied about not receiving it.

Any lawyer out there? I need to know what are my legal options should I decide to pursue it. Please PM me!

Being a widow single mom with a little child, my life is stressful enough, I really don't know why people would go out and ruin other people's life like that!
I do not know if this is common knowledge but I know from an experience in graduate school, that if you file a police report for paypal... it is simply a formality and you can have the cased closed seconds after you file. If you tell them you don't want it researched, you just need it for paypal. They will comply... a lot of police departments do not like paypal and therefore simply file the paper and never do anything else.

I do not know if that helps but I got the information from a friend who was a policeman many years ago. And he was the policeman who filed everything for internet fraud, including paypal.

I hope that helps, somehow.
Sep 19, 2012, 6:26am   #11
Tarhls's Avatar
Tarhls
Member
OP I am sorry this happened to you.
It never ceases to amaze me what some people will do to rip off others.
Not that I agree with Paypal or UPS but I guess they have to have procedures in place when situations arise and to some extent it relies on honesty from the buyer (with submitting statements/declarations) which sadly in these sort of situations is obviously lacking as they are trying to scam.
Sep 19, 2012, 7:42am   #12
chinableu's Avatar
chinableu
Member
I feel it's best to have a third party pack more expensive items; such as the UPS Store, FED EX, etc.

I'm really sorry that this happened to you H.
Sep 19, 2012, 7:48am   #13
zippie's Avatar
zippie
Member
I don't understand how this can happen. The weight of the box when you shipped should be significantly different than the weight of an empty box. I wouldn't tolerate it for one second and would have closed my PayPal and EBAY account so they couldn't collect one cent.
Last edited Sep 19, 2012 at 9:12am.
Sep 19, 2012, 8:53am   #14
T
Trainwreck
Member
I am so sorry that this happened to you.
I am an honest ebay buyer and I would never would have thought to do that!
I am also a strong believer in Karma. He/she will get it on the back end.
I do wish that there was a place where we could buy and sell to each other. Honest sellers/ Honest buyers.
Everythime I buy something on ebay, I am anxious until I open the package and confirm that what I bought is what I got!
Again, so sorry. Stay strong. My condolences on the loss of your husband.xx
Sep 19, 2012, 9:02am   #15
SophiaLee's Avatar
SophiaLee
Guest Star
Could you pm me the buyers ID so I can block them? Or better yet, post it.

So sorry this happened to you!
POST A REPLY
  HOME > >  
TOP

Thread Tools