Home The Playground Computers & Electronics

Is there an online data storage company???

POST A REPLY

Feb 10, 2010, 3:08pm   #1
b
Account Deactivated
I have a VERY LARGE music collection about 300 gigs. Right now I store it all on an external hard drive. I back it up on a second external every few months. I was hoping that I could find an online site that I could upload a copy of my music just in case something happened to my house and both my hard drives were destroyed. Is there such a site? Of course I am looking for a place that is not super expensive.
Feb 10, 2010, 3:16pm   #2
a
There are lots of them. I actually just got a free one year subscription with my new computer. So the service that I am using is specific to the brand of computer that I have (not that it matters).
You might want to check out this link for some reviews. It's through cnet.com, which is fairly reliable for computer reviews, etc.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13515_3-9736064-26.html

Feb 10, 2010, 4:14pm   #3
★☆★★☆★★☆★
i just started using Mozy.com a couple months ago. it's only $5 per month.
although it's for backing up your entire computer but i think you can specify certain folders only?
Feb 10, 2010, 4:15pm   #4
b
Account Deactivated
Thanks!!!

I need a site that I can store about 300 gigs worth of music.

Most of them have lower storage space
Feb 10, 2010, 8:13pm   #5
The Commish
I believe Carbonite and Mozy both have unlimited space. But it's going to take a very long time to transfer 300 gigs
Feb 11, 2010, 6:17pm   #6
I use Mozy. It is $4.95 a month for unlimited storage space. I chose this one because it was one of the few that let you backup external drives. I backup on a daily basis the files from my husbands and my computer to an external drive. Then every other day I let the online backup run overnight. Every few months I run into a glitch but once I engage Mozy support it is fixed in a day or two. Early on I did a few test restores of a few files and it was fine.

One of the options for the backup is for faster computer of faster backup. I leave mine on faster backup which pretty much renders the computer unusable while the backup is running. It is fine since I let it run while I am asleep and I don't have it running from my primary computer. The external drive is connected to a secondary computer we have that doesn't get used much.

Your initial backup will take forever, perhaps a week or more. I think we have about 187 GB backed up.

Hope this helps.
Jun 5, 2012, 6:56am   #7
o
I use mypdv.com, it is simple to use and very secure. you just have to register and there you go.
POST A REPLY
  HOME The Playground Computers & Electronics