••Ah! I did the unthinkable! I dunked a LEGACY vachetta bag! {results}••

POST A REPLY

Jun 11, 2012, 4:26pm   #31
emilybug
purse fickle
Originally Posted by SilviaLovesBags
Wow, Emily you did an awesome job!
Thank u!
If I attempt another I will def take before pics! I have a Legacy Mandy in gardenia that needs some help.....
Jun 11, 2012, 4:28pm   #32
l
lurkernomore
Originally Posted by emilybug
Thanks!
I didn't do anything with/to the hardware. Just good ole Dawn liquid in the sink with warm water and a small towel as a rag, and that was for the leather and lining. Took the stains right off, and now that it's dry and conditioned, it smells just like Legacy leather as before!
Awesome...next week I will try it! Thanks!
Jun 11, 2012, 4:30pm   #33
ledobe
Too Many Pink Bags
I don't have pix of mine available, but it was a shoulder bag in pond blue-it came through fine. It was an eBay purchase that was a little (disclosed) dirty. The lining and everything came through fine-and I put it in the washing machine! I usually dunk in the sink but I wanted to make sure it was clean, and I didn't want to have to do a second cleaning. I wrapped it in securely in a pillowcase and washed it with a bunch of towels and old sofa throw pillows. It took FOREVER to dry, even compared to an old NYC heavy duty leather bag I sink dunked the same day.

I took the strap off when I washed it because I wanted to compare for color loss and there is no difference at all. I conditioned the leather after her bath and no blue came off on the towel. The lining is fine. I did try to pull it out of the bag while it dried but I couldn't do that with the pockets and there is no blue on the stripes or vice a versa.

I hesitated before doing it and finally decided I would be ok if the bag came out looking slightly more distressed, but I would never be comfortable with dirty. I think it looks great. I did take some pix to document the process that I mean to post in the rehab thread eventually.
Jun 11, 2012, 4:37pm   #34
emilybug
purse fickle
Originally Posted by ledobe
I don't have pix of mine available, but it was a shoulder bag in pond blue-it came through fine. It was an eBay purchase that was a little (disclosed) dirty. The lining and everything came through fine-and I put it in the washing machine! I usually dunk in the sink but I wanted to make sure it was clean, and I didn't want to have to do a second cleaning. I wrapped it in securely in a pillowcase and washed it with a bunch of towels and old sofa throw pillows. It took FOREVER to dry, even compared to an old NYC heavy duty leather bag I sink dunked the same day.

I took the strap off when I washed it because I wanted to compare for color loss and there is no difference at all. I conditioned the leather after her bath and no blue came off on the towel. The lining is fine. I did try to pull it out of the bag while it dried but I couldn't do that with the pockets and there is no blue on the stripes or vice a versa.

I hesitated before doing it and finally decided I would be ok if the bag came out looking slightly more distressed, but I would never be comfortable with dirty. I think it looks great. I did take some pix to document the process that I mean to post in the rehab thread eventually.
Wow! The washing machine! I can't wait to see pics!

I have a legacy wallet in pond; I love that color. I think I'm going to attempt my Mandy courier (white) next....
Jun 11, 2012, 4:42pm   #35
nursie
selective hoarder
it looks great now! were there any water stains prior to your dunking? i see a lot of legacy leather for sale with water marks, but if giving it a dunk evens it all out then hey! i'm glad you got this one back!
Jun 11, 2012, 4:45pm   #36
happibug
She looks gorgeous, what a wonderful job!
Jun 11, 2012, 4:46pm   #37
Jessi319
champagne tastes
OK....I am so happy to see how well this turned out!. I'm still afraid to dunk a darker Vachetta because of color dye leaching into the legacy striped interior . Thanks for posting.
Jun 11, 2012, 4:47pm   #38
p
pursenut72
Great job!! That bag looks awesome! So glad that it worked out for you.
Jun 11, 2012, 5:25pm   #39
sandyclaws
<3 my iPhone
Wow. It looks great! Good to know you were able to save her

Sent from my iPad using PurseForum
Jun 11, 2012, 5:53pm   #40
QueenLouis
OMG, I can't believe how mom treated it knowing how much you baby your bags. She looks gorgeous now! And I kind of hate you because that's one of the bags I regret passing on back when Legacy was out!
Jun 11, 2012, 6:50pm   #41
grannytoabbi
WOW, looks like you did a wondeful job!!
Jun 11, 2012, 6:59pm   #42
madisonave5011
that bag came out fantastic after the bath!! Im surprised by how she reverted back to the original color too and not darkening. Great job!!
Jun 11, 2012, 7:02pm   #43
h
htbabe61
Account Deactivated
GREAT JOB!!! That is a Nice bag, I'm so happy you could save her...
Jun 11, 2012, 7:05pm   #44
madisonave5011
Originally Posted by ledobe

wow I'd love to see pictures of this!!
Jun 11, 2012, 7:23pm   #45
teerash
Wow that is amazing, great job!
POST A REPLY
  HOME > >