Home > > >

Authenticate this COACH

DISCUSSION CLOSED
 
Thread Tools
Mar 9, 2011, 1:48pm   #12706
DemRam's Avatar
DemRam
Member
Originally Posted by Peska
Hello, I am new to this site. I work for a resale shop, and someone has brought in a Coach bag, I would like to authenticate it. It is in my possession now.

1. Vintage Coach shoulder bag, black.
2. Serial number 4437-576
3. Creed says "This is a Coach bean bag..." I know there were some made like this, but this has a late-80s serial number and a Dove zipper pull.
4. The bag is of very good quality, the leather is great. It's an older bag, has been carried, shows signs of age, but the seams and attachments are strong and good. So I don't know whether it is an odd real Coach, or a good fake.

Thank you!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/58397524@N02/5512200467/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/58397524@N02/5512202167/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/58397524@N02/5512207867/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/58397524@N02/5512206275/

Thank you for any help you have be able to give, I just want to know what I have, and I'd hate to sell a fake. :/

-Peska

I've personally never seen an authentic Station Bag OR any authentic Coach bag with that creed wording (bean bag) OR with that zipper pull.

Wait for other opinions.

Mar 9, 2011, 1:51pm   #12707
BeenBurned's Avatar
BeenBurned
Member
Originally Posted by vunzo
Hi! The zipper of my coach sling bag has an "IDEAL" engraved on it not "YKK".. I-guess it's fake but my friend bought it at Las Vegas,NV..with receipt.

all coach bags are using "YKK" zippers?

Item: CHS SWING PACK, F43893 SBWBK
Coach has used several different zipper brands over the years so the brand of zipper has nothing to do with authenticity. And in fact, most fakes have either real or fake YKK zippers!

That said, there's no way to authenticate your item without pictures.

Please post pics of the front, back, inside, creed (if there is one), and the tag.
Mar 9, 2011, 1:55pm   #12708
m
mygirlygirl
Member
Originally Posted by BeenBurned
The bag is definitely fake.

The lining IS supposed to be lilac. There are problems with the prints on the patches too. My guess is that the trim is plastic as the buyer claims.

Your bag is a copy of style 378, hamptons patchwork weekend tote which looks like the attached photo.

You owe the buyer a full refund and should probably just tell her to dispose of the bag since it's illegal to sell and for you to also pay for her to send it back is a waste of money.

You say the bag came from Macy's. When did you purchase it? The reason I ask is because the style is about 6 years old and wouldn't have been at Macy's in years.

OMG I feel horrible. I have a retail store and therefore I have a contract with Macy's. I didn't buy it from a Macy's store. I bought the bags from Macy's overstock department. I would NEVER sell anything fake. The weird thing is that I've found pictures of it with the same lining and the bag came with the Macy's UPC and stickers that had all the Macy's informations on it like which store it was shipped to etc....!
Mar 9, 2011, 2:04pm   #12709
BeenBurned's Avatar
BeenBurned
Member
Originally Posted by mygirlygirl
Help please! Buyer is saying my purse is not authentic (I'm the seller; I've shipped the item already) I got a few bags DIRECTLY from Macy's overstock department and I know this bag is not a fake!

Item: COACH Hampton Patchwork Small Tote
Listing number: 230559203401
Seller: girly.moments
Link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=230559203401
Comments:
The buyer claims that she has the larger tote and the inside is lilac, the bottom is suede and does not have the little feet you see in the pictures. She even said the leather is not real leather!! Sorry I don't have the serial number (I didn't take a picture of it) HELP!
Originally Posted by BeenBurned
The bag is definitely fake.

The lining IS supposed to be lilac. There are problems with the prints on the patches too. My guess is that the trim is plastic as the buyer claims.

Your bag is a copy of style 378, hamptons patchwork weekend tote which looks like the attached photo.

You owe the buyer a full refund and should probably just tell her to dispose of the bag since it's illegal to sell and for you to also pay for her to send it back is a waste of money.

You say the bag came from Macy's. When did you purchase it? The reason I ask is because the style is about 6 years old and wouldn't have been at Macy's in years.
Originally Posted by mygirlygirl
OMG I feel horrible. I have a retail store and therefore I have a contract with Macy's. I didn't buy it from a Macy's store. I bought the bags from Macy's overstock department. I would NEVER sell anything fake. The weird thing is that I've found pictures of it with the same lining and the bag came with the Macy's UPC and stickers that had all the Macy's informations on it like which store it was shipped to etc....!
While I don't know the history particular item, what may have happened is that Macy's may have accepted a return from a "buy and switch" customer.

I think they have a policy (bad one, IMO) that they don't argue with a customer with a receipt and they take the return and just don't put the item back on the sales floor.

If it was in a Macy's stock, it's possible that the original buyer purchased an authentic bag and returned the fake with the original tags and receipt.

Then when Macy's liquidates their end-of-season merchandise, returns, shopworn items, etc., fakes might be mixed in with the lot.

Due to the nature of your purchase, you probably aren't eligible for a refund but you should use due diligence in verifying that any items you resell in those lots should be authentic.

Oh, and welcome to tPF. Too bad you didn't get the information you were hoping to hear.

ETA: Regarding your comment about finding pictures of the same style bag with the same lining, that's fairly common. The cheap gold lining with either Coach lozenges or signature print is on many fakes probably because it's the cheapest that the fakers can buy.
Mar 9, 2011, 2:05pm   #12710
v
vunzo
Member
I cant find the YKK on zipper... I read "IDEAL" engraved on it.. is it authentic?! Even if My friend bought it from coach store with receipt..

Your opinion is highly appreciated...Need help.thanks!
I hope somebody would care to reply

http://cgi.ebay.com/Authentic-and-Br...7#ht_692wt_233
Mar 9, 2011, 2:09pm   #12711
m
mygirlygirl
Member
Originally Posted by BeenBurned
While I don't know the history particular item, what may have happened is that Macy's may have accepted a return from a "buy and switch" customer.

I think they have a policy (bad one, IMO) that they don't argue with a customer with a receipt and they take the return and just don't put the item back on the sales floor.

If it was in a Macy's stock, it's possible that the original buyer purchased an authentic bag and returned the fake with the original tags and receipt.

Then when Macy's liquidates their end-of-season merchandise, returns, shopworn items, etc., fakes might be mixed in with the lot.

Due to the nature of your purchase, you probably aren't eligible for a refund but you should use due diligence in verifying that any items you resell in those lots should be authentic.

Oh, and welcome to tPF. Too bad you didn't get the information you were hoping to hear.

That sounds like a possibility. I feel horrible for the buyer. She is getting a full refund! If I would have known, I would have never even listed it! Thanks for the welcoming! I've been browsing the other threads and it's amazing the information in this forum!

Thanks again!!!!!!!!!
Mar 9, 2011, 2:12pm   #12712
BeenBurned's Avatar
BeenBurned
Member
Originally Posted by mygirlygirl
That sounds like a possibility. I feel horrible for the buyer. She is getting a full refund! If I would have known, I would have never even listed it! Thanks for the welcoming! I've been browsing the other threads and it's amazing the information in this forum!

Thanks again!!!!!!!!!
You're welcome.
Mar 9, 2011, 2:14pm   #12713
Hyacinth's Avatar
Hyacinth
Member
Originally Posted by vunzo
I cant find the YKK on zipper... I read "IDEAL" engraved on it.. is it authentic?! Even if My friend bought it from coach store with receipt..

Your opinion is highly appreciated...Need help.thanks!
I hope somebody would care to reply

http://cgi.ebay.com/Authentic-and-Br...7#ht_692wt_233
None of that seller's Coach items, new OR completed, show enough photos to help with authentication. The seller should include photos of the creed patch if the bag has one, or at least the inside of the price tag.

And wherever you read that "all Coaches have YKK zippers", IGNORE THAT AND ANYTHING ELSE YOU READ FROM THE SAME SOURCE OR "GUIDE" or from any other source that posts that nonsense. NOT all Coaches have YKKs and most of the other advice you find in those useles online guides is just as incorrect.
Mar 9, 2011, 2:15pm   #12714
BeenBurned's Avatar
BeenBurned
Member
Originally Posted by vunzo
Hi! The zipper of my coach sling bag has an "IDEAL" engraved on it not "YKK".. I-guess it's fake but my friend bought it at Las Vegas,NV..with receipt.

all coach bags are using "YKK" zippers?

Item: CHS SWING PACK, F43893 SBWBK
Originally Posted by BeenBurned
Coach has used several different zipper brands over the years so the brand of zipper has nothing to do with authenticity. And in fact, most fakes have either real or fake YKK zippers!

That said, there's no way to authenticate your item without pictures.

Please post pics of the front, back, inside, creed (if there is one), and the tag.
Originally Posted by vunzo
I cant find the YKK on zipper... I read "IDEAL" engraved on it.. is it authentic?! Even if My friend bought it from coach store with receipt..

Your opinion is highly appreciated...Need help.thanks!
I hope somebody would care to reply

http://cgi.ebay.com/Authentic-and-Br...7#ht_692wt_233
I think you misunderstood.

My comment refers to the fact that zipper brand means NOTHING as far as authenticity. Coach sometimes uses YKK (as do the counterfeiters) but Coach also uses other brands of zippers on their authentic items.

Your bag can be authentic yet still use a different zipper brand than YKK.

If you want to verify authenticity of the bag you have or that your friend bought, what we need to see are pictures of the actual item. It doesn't help to show a listing for a similar bag since the counterfeiters can copy any style.
Mar 9, 2011, 2:17pm   #12715
P
Peska
Member
Originally Posted by DemRam
I've personally never seen an authentic Station Bag OR any authentic Coach bag with that creed wording (bean bag) OR with that zipper pull.

Wait for other opinions.

That's what I'm worried about. Thanks for your input! It would be a shame if it is a fake, it is a lovely, strong bag.

-Peska
Mar 9, 2011, 2:25pm   #12716
Hyacinth's Avatar
Hyacinth
Member
Originally Posted by Peska
Hello, I am new to this site. I work for a resale shop, and someone has brought in a Coach bag, I would like to authenticate it. It is in my possession now.

1. Vintage Coach shoulder bag, black.
2. Serial number 4437-576
3. Creed says "This is a Coach bean bag..." I know there were some made like this, but this has a late-80s serial number and a Dove zipper pull.
4. The bag is of very good quality, the leather is great. It's an older bag, has been carried, shows signs of age, but the seams and attachments are strong and good. So I don't know whether it is an odd real Coach, or a good fake.

Thank you!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/58397524@N02/5512200467/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/58397524@N02/5512202167/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/58397524@N02/5512207867/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/58397524@N02/5512206275/

Thank you for any help you have be able to give, I just want to know what I have, and I'd hate to sell a fake. :/

-Peska
I agree with Dem Ram. Every "Bean Bag" creed we've even seen has been fake although some have been pretty accurate copies. The only "Bean Bag" ever made by Coach was a keychain but apparently some fakes manufacturer got hold of one of those keychains and just blindly copied the creed statement.

Yours also has the wrong font in the serial number and creed statement, incorrect details and really off-center rivets on the strap ends.

The only Coach that should ever have a Bean Bag creed is this one:
Attached Images
 
Mar 9, 2011, 2:30pm   #12717
P
Peska
Member
Originally Posted by Hyacinth
I agree with Dem Ram. Every "Bean Bag" creed we've even seen has been fake although some have been pretty accurate copies. The only "Bean Bag" ever made by Coach was a keychain but apparently some fakes manufacturer got hold of one of those keychains and just blindly copied the creed statement.

Yours also has the wrong font in the serial number and creed statement, incorrect details and really off-center rivets on the strap ends.

The only Coach that should ever have a Bean Bag creed is this one:
Thank you guys for your help!
-Peska
Mar 9, 2011, 2:51pm   #12718
v
vunzo
Member
Originally Posted by BeenBurned
Coach has used several different zipper brands over the years so the brand of zipper has nothing to do with authenticity. And in fact, most fakes have either real or fake YKK zippers!

That said, there's no way to authenticate your item without pictures.

Please post pics of the front, back, inside, creed (if there is one), and the tag.

Here are the actual pictures.
Attached Images
     
Mar 9, 2011, 3:02pm   #12719
v
vunzo
Member
Originally Posted by BeenBurned
I think you misunderstood.

My comment refers to the fact that zipper brand means NOTHING as far as authenticity. Coach sometimes uses YKK (as do the counterfeiters) but Coach also uses other brands of zippers on their authentic items.

Your bag can be authentic yet still use a different zipper brand than YKK.

If you want to verify authenticity of the bag you have or that your friend bought, what we need to see are pictures of the actual item. It doesn't help to show a listing for a similar bag since the counterfeiters can copy any style.
pictures
Attached Images
    
Mar 9, 2011, 3:05pm   #12720
BeenBurned's Avatar
BeenBurned
Member
Originally Posted by vunzo
Here are the actual pictures.
Originally Posted by vunzo
pictures
The swingpack is authentic.
DISCUSSION CLOSED
  HOME > > >  
TOP

Thread Tools