Home Contemporary Designers Coach Coach Clubhouse

Coach Rehab and Rescue Club

DISCUSSION CLOSED

Jun 12, 2012, 4:24pm   #3721
Originally Posted by missbean
Hi everyone,

This is my husband's old coach briefcase that I've been meaning to donate - until I found this thread. I've read up on some members' methods for rehabbing old coach bags. Do you guys think this is restorable? It's pretty beat up and I'm willing to use it as an experimental bag for rehabbing. I'm not sure if I can bathe it though, it's structured and rather stiff. Any thoughts would be appreciated!
Welcome Missbean! Can you post pics of the inside and better pics of the outside? When you give the bags a bath, you then stuff them with old towels to retain it's shape. I definitely think it's a great bag for a rehab!
Jun 12, 2012, 4:44pm   #3722
Originally Posted by katev
I overstuffed that red bucket bag that I recently rehabbed with towels while it was drying and it came out with a nice shape.
I think it is going to be okay. I noticed that on Coach they show it all squished and lumpy so I am probably just being OCD trying to get it perfect.
Jun 12, 2012, 4:47pm   #3723
Originally Posted by ledobe
I think the zippers on ALL of these old basic bags was blue and didn't necessarily match, so it might not be faded. It's probably more obvious since you've got blue on blue though.
I have a NYC basic bag in burgundy and it has a black zipper.
Jun 12, 2012, 4:51pm   #3724
Too Many Pink Bags
Originally Posted by whateve
I have a NYC basic bag in burgundy and it has a black zipper.
tee hee-I should have remembered there are no rules for coach, especially when it comes to zippers:

I don't think they tried that hard to match them on the early bags though, and I remember reading somewhere about denim blue zippers. The blue zipper on my BT basic bag kind of bugs me at some level, as a matter of fact.

(still jealous of the burgundy bag) :)
Jun 12, 2012, 4:52pm   #3725
Did you all hear the news about BeenBurned? She is being sued for damaging the reputation of an eBay vendor. It is going to cost her a lot of money in legal fees and she may have to pay damages if she loses the case! A defense fund has been set up and they are accepting paypal donations; see the info below.
Thank you for posting this. I feel so bad for her. It is a horrible shame that she could get attacked for helping so many people. It might discourage others from reporting fakes and shill bidding, especially since eBay seems to be allowing shill bidding. I am also wondering why her identity wasn't protected.
Jun 12, 2012, 5:04pm   #3726
tee hee-I should have remembered there are no rules for coach, especially when it comes to zippers:

I don't think they tried that hard to match them on the early bags though, and I remember reading somewhere about denim blue zippers. The blue zipper on my BT basic bag kind of bugs me at some level, as a matter of fact.

(still jealous of the burgundy bag) :)
A blue zipper on BT would annoy me too.

You'll be even more jealous of my burgundy bag when I tell you that it is new without tags! I got it on eBay for $50.
Jun 12, 2012, 5:14pm   #3727
Too Many Pink Bags
A blue zipper on BT would annoy me too.

You'll be even more jealous of my burgundy bag when I tell you that it is new without tags! I got it on eBay for $50.

oh sure, fine...rub it in!
Jun 12, 2012, 5:19pm   #3728
Too Many Pink Bags
Thank you for posting this. I feel so bad for her. It is a horrible shame that she could get attacked for helping so many people. It might discourage others from reporting fakes and shill bidding, especially since eBay seems to be allowing shill bidding. I am also wondering why her identity wasn't protected.
I feel really bad about this, I made a very small donation. It's def one of those "that could be me" moments also, as I admin a couple of official sites for some...organizations. I could easily be pulled into a lawsuit in this day and age, and BB has done nothing but help people out on this board. Very unfortunate.
Jun 12, 2012, 6:51pm   #3729
b
So, funny thing happened when I was reading Regretsy. I clicked on a link, and then clicked on a link, and before I knew it, I was here. It wasn't 50 cents, it was $26:

https://www.etsy.com/transaction/83619438

When I got the bag, it looked brand new. No sign that it had ever been carried, the leather looked very fresh, the handle on the top was shiny and white...except...the spots shown in the pix. In fact the only thing that convinced me the bag had ever been carried was the little mirror in the inside pocket.

It has a slight "old lady perfume" odor and it is a little flat from storage, but not squished, the piping is in shape but the bag is a little curved in.

The spots looked like they would rub off with your finger, they were on the surface and had not penetrated the leather. However, no such luck. I took a little rubbing alcohol, crossed my fingers, and dabbed it with a cotton ball. Success! I can't see any color loss at all either.

So, you may have noticed she is missing her strap. The funny thing is, my lil marshmallow lightweight bag, and my new Camel Patricia, are a perfect match. The Patricia of course has big buckles and won't work. The lightweight has the perfect strap, but since they are permanently attached, no go.

I have two or three straps that will kind of work but are not perfect. I'll have to fiddle with that part.

Anyway, I decided not to dunk, I don't think she needs it though I'd love to wash the perfume odor out. So I stuffed her with paper, attached a temp strap, and hung her out in the sun for a day. I was hoping the warmth would unflatten her, and the sun would help dissipate the odor. She's slightly less stinky. If I don't get the smell out, and once I get the strap situation sorted, I still have the option of dunking her.

So here she is. Not anything exciting, and maybe I should have posted her in the bargains thread, but since we were having this conversation here, this is where I posted her lil story. I can carry her as a handle bag, should the occasion arise.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...s/c2eff81c.jpg

I mean, seriously, look at the hardware and everything, spotless except for, well, the spots.

I wondered who scooped me!!!! I was going to buy her!!!!! lol! Well, at least I know she's in a good home, with someone who KNOWS how to take proper care of a great bag like this! I was curious about what the marks were on the back... any idea? did they come out?
Jun 12, 2012, 6:56pm   #3730
First the good news! Yesterday I found a gorgeous whipstitch trimmed brown bag in very good condition for $13. Hyacinth says that it is a West End Medium Hobo 9467 and cost around $290 in 2000. My pics aren't great but you can see it at the link below.

It is made of calf trimmed with cowhide and has some spots and dirty areas so I was planning to give it a bath, but I have never rehabbed a calf bag so was wondering if anyone has advice on how to procede? Thanks!

http://forum.purseblog.com/coach-sho...l#post22111884

Now for the bad (I must be crazy) news! I picked up a burgandy spectator checkbook wallet for $4. Hyacinth's best guess is that it is from the Legacy Spectator line in the early 2000s. The wallet is in terrible condition. It is water-damaged, warped, and stinks of mold and mildew! The khaki sig lining has turned green from mold in one compartment! And the plastic id case window is ripped. I kind of felt bad about it and wanted to try and fix it up but now I am thinking that I must be crazy and should let it rest in peace.

There are pics at the link below, if I do attempt to rehab it does anyone have some advice as to how to go about it? Help!

http://forum.purseblog.com/coach-sho...l#post22111884
Get that wallet in a bath! You can't make it any worse than it already is, LOL!
Jun 12, 2012, 6:58pm   #3731
Too Many Pink Bags
Originally Posted by beausmom71
I wondered who scooped me!!!! I was going to buy her!!!!! lol! Well, at least I know she's in a good home, with someone who KNOWS how to take proper care of a great bag like this! I was curious about what the marks were on the back... any idea? did they come out?
LOL-I'm sorry, it was a very random finding, wasn't even really looking for bags on Etsy, I just stumbled across her. I think it was the same night as I found the Willis & Rambler's Legacy with body paint.

The spots came off with a cotton ball and alcohol, they acted like ink but they were on the surface of the bag and came out no problem. Other than that the bag is in pretty much perfect condition.

I promise I will take care of her. :) If you see her strap out there somewhere send it home....
Jun 12, 2012, 7:04pm   #3732
I read that there is something called leather filler or putty that can be used to fill in burns and deep scrapes. Has anyone tried this?
Jun 12, 2012, 7:06pm   #3733
Too Many Pink Bags

Jun 12, 2012, 7:08pm   #3734
"The Bag Whisperer!"
Very true!
Jun 12, 2012, 7:26pm   #3735
b
LOL-I'm sorry, it was a very random finding, wasn't even really looking for bags on Etsy, I just stumbled across her. I think it was the same night as I found the Willis & Rambler's Legacy with body paint.

The spots came off with a cotton ball and alcohol, they acted like ink but they were on the surface of the bag and came out no problem. Other than that the bag is in pretty much perfect condition.

I promise I will take care of her. :) If you see her strap out there somewhere send it home....
No worries, I wasn't set on her, she'd been on line for a bit, and bags without straps just look so, so ...sad.....lol! mostly wanted to give her a new home, and I'm kinda digging the spectator look!
obviously, WE have great taste!!! haha!
If I see her lost and lonely strap, I will be sure to send it home!
DISCUSSION CLOSED
  HOME Contemporary Designers Coach Coach Clubhouse