Home > >

Buying At Full Price Vs. Sale Price

POST A REPLY

Jul 18, 2006, 8:20pm   #1
helen
Becca's Mom
I was surprised to find out that Chanel could be bought on sale. Do most of you buy your bags that way. I have always paid retail. Since I may be embarking on a big purchase I'm really curious to know. It seems the new price point is getting to be in the $2,000 range. Have I lost my mind spending that amount? I was trying to stay around $1,500.
Jul 18, 2006, 8:24pm   #2
cs06
Seriously bag-addicted
Buying on sale is always hit or miss as the bag I want never seems to be the one on sale. As the prices continue to rise, however, this may change. It seems more and more are waiting for the sales.
Jul 18, 2006, 8:25pm   #3
elongreach
140 lbs lighter
No, but I just started buying Chanel this season. I think all of us lucked up that they have decided to get rid of such a huge collection like the cambon. But I'm not buying anymore Chanel unless A. it's on sale or B. I get the rest of my bags on my list or C. I find something that shoots to the top of the list OOOOOR D. I hit the lottery, get a sugar daddy, or marry someone who loves Chanel just as much as me.
Jul 18, 2006, 8:29pm   #4
roey
I am very new to buying Chanel bags but it seems that only the bags that are discontinued colors and styles are marked down. I was told by a Saks s/a that Chanel does sales twice per year - May/June and December/January.

I managed to get my two favorite cambon bags on sale - the beige/black reporter and the black/black bowler.

I love the luxury bowler so much that I don't mind paying the price and making some personal sacrifices. But I agree it is a crazy price point and once you pay it, it really skews your reality.
Jul 18, 2006, 8:30pm   #5
Swanky Mama Of Three
The bags I like always seem to be in the Classic line - meaning won't be discontinued. . . or I end up liking the Limited editions like the Luxe.
If your fave bag is a 'hip' color it could end up on sale.
If you tend to like Classic Chanel, you'll probably never find it discounted.
Jul 18, 2006, 8:59pm   #6
helen
Becca's Mom
Thanks for all your responses. I seem to never be able to get anything on sale even when it comes to clothes or food! The things I like are never on sale.
Jul 18, 2006, 9:06pm   #7
IntlSet
Bonjour!
Originally Posted by Swanky Mama Of Three
The bags I like always seem to be in the Classic line - meaning won't be discontinued. . . or I end up liking the Limited editions like the Luxe.
If your fave bag is a 'hip' color it could end up on sale.
If you tend to like Classic Chanel, you'll probably never find it discounted.
True! Unfortunately, I tend to like the classic line. My everyday tote was purchased 3 years ago and it's still in boutiques for full price!

I don't think I would ever pay the full price for a limited edition that I thought could go on sale. I'll just wait!
Jul 18, 2006, 9:31pm   #8
melisande
It's defintely not always possible to find a sale (sigh!).
Jul 18, 2006, 9:32pm   #9
IntlSet
Bonjour!
Originally Posted by melisande
It's defintely not always possible to find a sale (sigh!).
Hi Melisande!!! Haven't seen you around lately. Good to bump into you.
Jul 18, 2006, 9:40pm   #10
elongreach
140 lbs lighter
There are these tweed bags with fur that have been on sale at my local Chanel since June and they haven't moved because they're ugly. I won't buy a bag just because it's on sale. I have to love it.
Jul 18, 2006, 11:14pm   #11
Coldplaylover
There is nothing more annoying than purchasing a bag full retail and then seeing it on sale pass the time you could get the price adjustment! I'd have to be madly in love and concerned that it would never make it to a markdown to buy it full price......so ask yourself "are you madly in love?" at every purchase.
Jul 19, 2006, 2:47am   #12
s
seepia
DO NOT attempt to sell here, do not post your ebay auctions here.
Last edited Jul 19, 2006 at 8:22am.
Jul 19, 2006, 4:08am   #13
mello_yello_jen
Designated Shopaholic
^ selling/promoting your own ebay link is not allowed
Jul 19, 2006, 9:48am   #14
teenagemillionaire
And still a youngin'
Originally Posted by JudyJudyJudy
The last time I bought Chanel, the sale pieces were in pretty poor condition from sitting on the shelves. The only designers I know of that don't go on sale is LV and Hermes. Everything else is available at a discount if you aren't too picky about leftovers. Personally, I'm such a brand ****, I'll grab just about anything high-end at a decent price! ESPECIALLY BAGS!
I thought Hermes had a small private sale?
For like their seasonal stuff, I'm probobly wrong lol.
POST A REPLY
  HOME > >