Home > >

Luggage leather behaviour with use (pebbled, drummed, smooth)

POST A REPLY

Mar 20, 2012, 2:53am   #1
fettfleck
ღ my stams
I own a pebbled mini luggage and am thinking about getting micro (if I can find one somewhere in the world). However I came over the dilemma about choosing which leather type name pebbled, drummed or smooth. I know there are some threads about the leather choices, but rare information about the leather behaviour after use which would be the interesting point for me.

My pebbled luggage though I love her is a puddleling mess. I love stiff and boxy bags which keep their shape what the pebbled leather definitive does not do (I will post a pic later, just on the way to work).

So I have to debate between drummed and smooth. I like the drummed matte look better, however as it is kind of a less pebbled leather I am afraid, that it might also loose its shape after some time.

However yesterday I did a research her and found some comments from smooth leather luggage owners that their bag also gets softer and looses their shape with time. That in a leather where I initially though would keep its shape as the luggage looks pretty boxy and stable.

So long introduction, short questions:

1. How do your luggages with drummed and smooth leather look like after some time of use?

2. Do they loose their shape - if yes how badly.

3. For those who own drummed and smooth - which leather type is stiffer?

Thank you for reading and hopefully commenting! <3
Mar 20, 2012, 3:31pm   #2
fettfleck
ღ my stams
Here are some photos from my pebbled one, which puddles only.

Hope somebody can help how the drummed and smooth hold up.
Mar 20, 2012, 3:39pm   #3
Syma
Hi,

The new drummed leather is supposed to hold it's shape better. My micro is still too new to see if this is the case though. Here are some more pics for you of the different leathers in my thread here

http://forum.purseblog.com/celine/po...re-715798.html
Mar 20, 2012, 3:58pm   #4
fettfleck
ღ my stams
Ah cool, something like that was what I was looking for! Thanx for the link! It is incredible how much even the smooth leather begin to slouch after a while. I would be interested in how the new drummed leather will be holding up.
Mar 20, 2012, 5:55pm   #5
GenieBottle26
"Odi et Amo"
I have the fluo pink mini in drummed leather and its holding it's shape very well. I've used it almost every day for the past 6 weeks and have crammed books, iPad, wallet, you name it in this bag and it's still holding it's shape almost as well as the day I got her! There is absolutely no puddling.
Mar 20, 2012, 6:02pm   #6
fettfleck
ღ my stams
Thank you for your input! Fluo pink is a hot bag!
Mar 22, 2012, 8:05am   #7
cpdoll
I've been using my drummed black mini as my workhorse for the past 2 months and it hasn't lost its shape. I stuff it nightly just to make sure (after seeing mini's from previous seasons puddle).
Mar 22, 2012, 10:55am   #8
M
Mulberry_Love
I have had my shoulder luggage in black drummed leather for 6 months now. I take it everywear and I even load it with groceries, books and a laptop from the stone age (= very heavy laptop from work!). There hasn't been any sign of the bag sagging or going sloppy. I love it! The drummed leather also seems more durable than the smooth leather.
I'm very happy with my choice of leather!
Mar 22, 2012, 6:26pm   #9
f
filet68
Originally Posted by Mulberry_Love
I have had my shoulder luggage in black drummed leather for 6 months now. I take it everywear and I even load it with groceries, books and a laptop from the stone age (= very heavy laptop from work!). There hasn't been any sign of the bag sagging or going sloppy. I love it! The drummed leather also seems more durable than the smooth leather.
I'm new to Celine and would like to know what the difference is between the pebbled and drummed leather.
Mar 22, 2012, 7:35pm   #10
Oniomaniac
Originally Posted by filet68
I'm new to Celine and would like to know what the difference is between the pebbled and drummed leather.
I believe pebbled is what they used to make and now drummed has taken its place. It's kind of a hybrid of the smooth and pebbled. People, including myself, have been liking the drummed a lot better. They also seemed to have changed the interior material for the drummed. As you can see from this thread, it seems like the drummed is holding its shape a lot better than the pebbled. All I have is drummed, so I am unable to comment until I have used them more. Hope that helps!
Mar 22, 2012, 8:21pm   #11
f
filet68
Originally Posted by Oniomaniac
I believe pebbled is what they used to make and now drummed has taken its place. It's kind of a hybrid of the smooth and pebbled. People, including myself, have been liking the drummed a lot better. They also seemed to have changed the interior material for the drummed. As you can see from this thread, it seems like the drummed is holding its shape a lot better than the pebbled. All I have is drummed, so I am unable to comment until I have used them more. Hope that helps!
Thanks Oniomaniac! Helps a lot. I just purchased a mini luggage and think it is pebbled. However, I would want the leather that looks and holds up better. I spoke with an SA earlier today and asked her about the difference and she basically said that they were same....pebbled and drummed just used interchangeably. So, I was quite confused because based on the posts it sounded like they were different. I would definitely like to see a drum up close. Do you mind posting a pic of yours? I'll post a pic of mine also.
Mar 22, 2012, 8:34pm   #12
f
filet68
Is this pebbled or drummed? Thanks!
Attached Images

Mar 22, 2012, 8:42pm   #13
L
Lynx13
Originally Posted by filet68
Is this pebbled or drummed? Thanks!
It looks drummed to me but I also thought the silver logo and hardware was new to this year and so is drummed leather? I could be wrong...
Mar 22, 2012, 8:48pm   #14
f
filet68
Originally Posted by Lynx13
It looks drummed to me but I also thought the silver logo and hardware was new to this year and so is drummed leather? I could be wrong...
Thanks Lynx! I'm new to Celine so trying to figure things out
Mar 24, 2012, 5:20pm   #15
fettfleck
ღ my stams
Originally Posted by cpdoll
I've been using my drummed black mini as my workhorse for the past 2 months and it hasn't lost its shape. I stuff it nightly just to make sure (after seeing mini's from previous seasons puddle).
Originally Posted by Mulberry_Love
Thank you both for your input! I will try to get my hands on a drummed bag them. I have also read in other threads that the pebbled leather is not so sensitive as compared to the smooth. My pebbled one is pretty sturdy, too! Absolutely easy to maintain and even insensitive to rain. Hope I can find a drummed one!
POST A REPLY
  HOME > >