Visit our 2014 Holiday Gift Guides
POST A REPLY

Jun 18, 2012, 12:31am   #286
DC-Cutie
Originally Posted by ilvoelv
Its really strange, but surprisingly its probably because of the community they settled in. They probably live in an area where english is not really necessary
G grew up in Bethesda, MD and her family owned a business (I think clothing), so I'd think having a command the English language would be a priority.
Jun 18, 2012, 12:35am   #287
ilvoelv
Finally saving!!
Originally Posted by DC-Cutie
G grew up in Bethesda, MD and her family owned a business (I think clothing), so I'd think having a command the English language would be a priority.
Their english sucks, so I guess it didn't affect their business much (?)
Jun 18, 2012, 12:36am   #288
DC-Cutie
Originally Posted by ilvoelv
Their english sucks, so I guess it didn't affect their business much (?)
oh, I agree. There english isn't the best. I do know that as you get older, it's harder for some to learn new languages.
Jun 18, 2012, 10:40am   #289
jbweyer
They probably learned what they needed to to communicate but I'm sure they had people working with them that were more fluent. Learning a new language is really hard and they speak it okay for people who weren't raised speaking english.
Jun 18, 2012, 11:30am   #290
Ladybug09
So Sweet!
I was thinking there was going to be bad news in this thread....So good to hear the happy News for Guliana...Bill is a good man too...some men when their dream of the 'traditional' family (wife get pregnant, etc) could not be realized would have probably left, but he stuck by his vows and he truly loves her.

Good luck to them.
Jun 18, 2012, 12:41pm   #291
californiaCRUSH
Glamazon.
This is so exciting for them!
Jun 18, 2012, 7:05pm   #292
DC-Cutie
great news. But, it's awfully tacky of E! News to open up today's show with G announcing they will have a boy, showing bits of the baby shower, then plugging their story in the upcoming Life & Style and planner Mindy Weiss...

I feel like their story is one big money maker for them.
Jun 20, 2012, 12:13am   #293
qudz104
i thought their baby shower card was really cute, how they had the B boy (bill)/ G girl (gulianna) thing going on. not everyone can have such perfect gender specific initials, lol!!
Jun 20, 2012, 12:23am   #294
Lapis
Originally Posted by Sassys
I find it do weird that her family came here with she was 7, yet her parents' English is really bad. I was watching her E tre story and had no idea her patents were here that long, I thought they were still in Italy.

One of my close friends was born here and his mother has lived here over 50years, yet she does not speak any English AND was given citizenship.
You can do the test in your native language, it's not that unusual
Jun 20, 2012, 12:46am   #295
Swanky Mama Of Three
there are plenty of immigrants/people that move here from other countries and never master English not too big a deal.
Jun 20, 2012, 10:14am   #296
exotikittenx
Ooh la la!
Originally Posted by Sassys

I find it do weird that her family came here with she was 7, yet her parents' English is really bad. I was watching her E tre story and had no idea her patents were here that long, I thought they were still in Italy.

One of my close friends was born here and his mother has lived here over 50years, yet she does not speak any English AND was given citizenship.
So what? My grandmother never learned English and lived here that long. Plus, learning a language as an adult is extremely difficult. You will likely be limited in your fluency and never lose an accent. And you can have a translator for a test of citizenship. It's not weird at all.
Jun 20, 2012, 10:19am   #297
chantal1922
30 pounds down!
Originally Posted by Swanky Mama Of Three
there are plenty of immigrants/people that move here from other countries and never master English not too big a deal.
so true.
Jun 20, 2012, 11:22am   #298
ByeKitty
Literally amazing!
It just seems very uncomfortable to live in a foreign country and not speak the language at all...
I don't know anything about G's parents though (haven't seen the show either), maybe they do understand the language but don't feel comfortable speaking it in front of a camera?
I know speaking English (or German, or French) severely breaks my tongue for the first hour
Jun 20, 2012, 1:21pm   #299
KarraAnn
Mrs. KarraAnn!
Let's start a "mama and papa depandi" thread for that discussion, I want to talk about the baby! Do you think he will have an Italian name?
Jun 20, 2012, 1:48pm   #300
bisbee
Best Bubbie
Both of her parents speak and understand English - they just have very strong accents, and are still more comfortable in Italian.

I don't understand some of the comments - losing an accent and becoming comfortable in another language differs from person to person. I have a close friend who is Israeli - originally, that is. She has been in this country since her very early 20s - and has been an American citizen for at least 30 years. She is fluent in English - she learned it as a child - but to this day, she still has a VERY strong accent. For some reason, she has hung onto it, despite being married to a native-born American, raising 3 children and 6 grandchildren, and speaking English daily for over 40 years.

If her husband, children or grandchildren were fluent in Hebrew, she probably would speak it more often, but she does not. However, she is still hard to understand. By the way...she is extremely bright, and works in a very technical job which requires her to communicate with many people daily. Somehow, despite her accent, she manages to communicate very well...
POST A REPLY
  HOME > >