Visit our 2014 Holiday Gift Guides
Home > >

I feel lost in my life

POST A REPLY

Sep 6, 2013, 10:05pm   #1
xoxmb
I just finished a 2 year program for Medical - Office Administration. I took this right after high school because I thought that I had to go to school after. I don't regret taking it but I don't know if I want to be an Administrator or whatever for my whole life.

I am working at a grocery store as a cashier and a chiropractor's office as a receptionist, that I got hired at for my school placement. After a few months of being there, I know a receptionist position is not for me and I feel like the doctor is going to let me go soon because I make mistakes a lot and he doesn't give me as much responsibility as the other receptionist. I also just get the vibe that he doesn't really like me.

I want to go to school again (university) and get a degree in something. But the problem is, that I don't have a passion for anything. In high school I was not good at english, math, science, gym - pretty much everything and I was very lazy and got bad grades, but in college I got good grades. I feel like if I go to uni it will be too hard because of this but I do want to go.

I know I am only 20 years old but I'm stuck!! I don't want to be working a low paying job when I'm in my 30s! Will I ever know what I want to do in my life??
Sep 6, 2013, 10:40pm   #2
No Cute
cupcake butt
I'm sorry you feel lost. Finding a field you love is challenging for some of us. I worked in a few professions before returning to grad school to teach. It's an uncomfortable process to find one's niche. I empathize.
Sep 7, 2013, 1:22am   #3
lorihmatthews
A taste for the arts
Originally Posted by xoxmb
I feel like if I go to uni it will be too hard because of this but I do want to go.
School is not easy. Anything worth doing is usually not easy. You will need to suck it up and apply yourself.

I know some people will say that college/uni is not for everyone. However, I believe that everyone should at least give it a fair try. I'd suggest enrolling and then seeing a career counselor who can help you find what you might like. I think the hard work would be worth it in the end.
Sep 7, 2013, 9:11am   #4
tnguye78
Hi,
I was a lot like you.. Hated high school, make OK grades.. skimmed through college for about 4 years taking a class here and there, until I decided it was time to suck it up and actually go to school and apply myself. I graduated HS 6 yrs ago and am still in college with another 3 years to go.

My point being.. if you haven't found a passion for any studies, go to college take basic classes and some electives in science, foreign language, and PE. You'll never know which will spark your interest. You can't force yourself to be ready, you'll just know.

Good luck :)
Sep 7, 2013, 9:57am   #5
lulilu
Originally Posted by tnguye78
Hi,
I was a lot like you.. Hated high school, make OK grades.. skimmed through college for about 4 years taking a class here and there, until I decided it was time to suck it up and actually go to school and apply myself. I graduated HS 6 yrs ago and am still in college with another 3 years to go.

My point being.. if you haven't found a passion for any studies, go to college take basic classes and some electives in science, foreign language, and PE. You'll never know which will spark your interest. You can't force yourself to be ready, you'll just know.

Good luck :)
+1. College IMO is a place to grow up and learn about things you have been exposed to before. It gives you ideas about what you might like to do. Plus, a degree is an entry requirement to jobs in many fields.
Sep 7, 2013, 10:56am   #6
apey_grapey
You might benefit from a Personality and Aptitude test. Something like a Briggs Myers test. It will at least point you to some direction. Just make sure you are honest when answering the questions. I've found that it's actually quite insightful - at least from what I've seen with me, my friends, and colleagues.

A college adviser should be able to either give you the test or point you towards one.
Sep 7, 2013, 1:18pm   #7
J
Jesssh
When you were a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up? What did you do for fun?

I wanted to be a teacher. My favorite fun thing to do was play Barbie. I made Barbie furniture out of wood block scraps, and was into anything crafty. Now I still look for any opportunity to teach or build something.

What we are passionate about as a child is often an indicator of what we need to do as an adult. It doesn't always become a full time job, but it can be a skill we use in a job. For example, teaching comes into play in almost any job where you present information or work with a customer. Building is something you do in engineering, building construction, product development or computer programming.
Sep 8, 2013, 2:03pm   #8
Lips
Some good advice here, OP.

I would also say, give yourself a bit of a break and don't try and plan your whole life ahead right now. I'm assuming you're around 20yo? So, that means you've got about 45 years of working life ahead of you. That's a really long time! You can re-invent yourself several times in that time frame (I speak from experience).

If I was in your shoes, I would much rather stay in work, and learn the lessons that only work can give you - patience, diplomacy, team-working, time-keeping, resilience etc etc. School is great, and can be really important if you decide on a career that demands a qualification, but it's not always the answer to keep ducking back to studies. I know some people in their 30s who have three degrees, but no work experience to speak of, and no concept of the world outside of the confines of University life.

I waited until I had a good experience of a few different roles before I really started to focus on building a career, and I did a relevant degree through a distance learning programme, meaning that I could work and study at the same time. This is challenging, but it brings a lot of benefits. For one, you can bring work life experience into your studies, which adds a breadth of analysis that is very difficult to achieve if you do a degree straight from high school. Secondly, you can earn, and therefore pay for your education, as you learn, meaning that you can graduate without any debts. This was a big plus for me.

I don't think that there's much merit in staying in a job that you really hate, but why not dip a toe in the water and try and secure a job in a different field/sector? You'll have to start at the bottom, without experience, but, if you can afford to do that financially, it might help inform your long-term decisions. You've already discovered that reception/administration isn't for you, so that's progress. Are you enjoying your retail job? Would retail management be a realistic longer-term option for you? Try reading some job ads, and really drill down into the role specification - don't discount the jobs on the basis of qualifications and experience, instead try and visualise yourself doing these things, and see what type of role sparks an interest. If it's a role that requires a qualification or lots of experience, then it might not be viable right now, but at least you've got yourself a goal. A good careers advisor should be able to help you devise a long-term plan on how to get there.

Nearly every opportunity for development/promotion/growth that I've had has come through work, and sometimes from the least likely avenues. Sometimes it's good to take your work a day at a time, and try and be the best you can be TODAY without always thinking about the long-term. You never know what opportunities might arise.

Good luck. Try not to be too hard on yourself.

- Lips
Sep 10, 2013, 12:56pm   #9
tangowithme
INFJ !
Originally Posted by apey_grapey
You might benefit from a Personality and Aptitude test. Something like a Briggs Myers test. It will at least point you to some direction. Just make sure you are honest when answering the questions. I've found that it's actually quite insightful - at least from what I've seen with me, my friends, and colleagues.

A college adviser should be able to either give you the test or point you towards one.
I agree with you apey_grapey. An apititude test would be a good first step for the OP to take.

There are hidden talents we aren't even aware of.

You mentioned the Myers-Briggs test. I've taken it several times, and am an INFJ through and through.
Sep 10, 2013, 1:56pm   #10
apey_grapey
Originally Posted by tangowithme
I agree with you apey_grapey. An apititude test would be a good first step for the OP to take.

There are hidden talents we aren't even aware of.

You mentioned the Myers-Briggs test. I've taken it several times, and am an INFJ through and through.
Yup, I've taken it 3 times and I am a strong INTJ. I'm a scientist so it all jived really well!
Sep 14, 2013, 7:44pm   #11
xoxmb
Originally Posted by apey_grapey

Yes, I was thinking of looking over my test results that I did for my Psychology elective. That might help a lot!

Originally Posted by Jesssh
When you were a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up? What did you do for fun?

I wanted to be a teacher. My favorite fun thing to do was play Barbie. I made Barbie furniture out of wood block scraps, and was into anything crafty. Now I still look for any opportunity to teach or build something.

What we are passionate about as a child is often an indicator of what we need to do as an adult. It doesn't always become a full time job, but it can be a skill we use in a job. For example, teaching comes into play in almost any job where you present information or work with a customer. Building is something you do in engineering, building construction, product development or computer programming.
When I was a kid loved anime and drew characters. I also used to make websites about them when I was in like grade 6-8. I'm not talking about the websites where you drag pictures around and stuff, I learned html, php and all that stuff. Then I stopped because I just lost interest as I got older, but it was fun.
Last edited Sep 14, 2013 at 7:45pm. Reason: typo
Sep 14, 2013, 7:49pm   #12
xoxmb
Originally Posted by Lips
I don't think that there's much merit in staying in a job that you really hate, but why not dip a toe in the water and try and secure a job in a different field/sector? You'll have to start at the bottom, without experience, but, if you can afford to do that financially, it might help inform your long-term decisions. You've already discovered that reception/administration isn't for you, so that's progress. Are you enjoying your retail job? Would retail management be a realistic longer-term option for you? Try reading some job ads, and really drill down into the role specification - don't discount the jobs on the basis of qualifications and experience, instead try and visualise yourself doing these things, and see what type of role sparks an interest. If it's a role that requires a qualification or lots of experience, then it might not be viable right now, but at least you've got yourself a goal. A good careers advisor should be able to help you devise a long-term plan on how to get there.

Nearly every opportunity for development/promotion/growth that I've had has come through work, and sometimes from the least likely avenues. Sometimes it's good to take your work a day at a time, and try and be the best you can be TODAY without always thinking about the long-term. You never know what opportunities might arise.

Good luck. Try not to be too hard on yourself.

- Lips
Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it. Yes, I know the receptionist position is not for me. But as for the administration part, I like it, but I'd much rather have the least amount of contact to patients and/or customers as possible. It's not that I'm shy, but I'm not that social and talkative to be a receptionist - pretty much, my personality doesn't fit a receptionist.
POST A REPLY
  HOME > >