Home The Playground Career and Workplace

Finger tattoo work appropriate? Yes or No?

POST A REPLY

Jun 28, 2010, 8:25am   #1
Hello Ladies,

I want to get my grandmothers (may she R.I.P) first name tattooed on the inside of my middle finger on my left hand -- not the top part of the finger and not palm side--. I would like to do a small script font in black covering roughly the first knuckle maybe a little past it. I always loved how finger tattoos looked and wanted to get my future childrens initials on my ring finger. My personal take on this is that it's not noticable unless I'm doing certain things with my hands, I have minimal contact with clients at work and I do wear rings ( in case of a situation where it must be covered).

My question to you : Do you think this is work appropriate? I test drove the design at work ( I work in Banking) and showed it to one of my co-workers who reacted by saying " what if you get fired for it?." I'm going to let this soak in for a week before making my final decision but would like to hear some feed back. T.I.A.
Jun 28, 2010, 8:51am   #2
Ask your boss!

It might look very nice, but if you work in a conservative environment it may be frowned upon.
Jun 28, 2010, 8:53am   #3
If you work in a conservative industry it seems like it might cause some problems. Even if it doesn't get you fired it could preclude you from getting promoted in the future if someone doesn't think it's appropriate.
Jun 28, 2010, 8:57am   #4
V
Traveler
I'd be worried about getting future jobs. You wouldn't want to this holding you back from maybe getting a dream job.
Put it somewhere that clothing covers it.
Jun 28, 2010, 9:07am   #5
f
Account Deactivated
I would worry about it for work enviroments
Jun 28, 2010, 9:28am   #6
Ooh la la!
FYI Many finger tattoos if they are in a place where you use your hands a lot, will wear off and won't last long. I know a girl who got one on her finger that lasted not long at all.
Jun 28, 2010, 10:19am   #7
Surprise!
I'm also thinking that you should reconsider the tattoo location. At my workplace, a visible tattoo is forbidden. In your case, banking is pretty conservative...
Jun 28, 2010, 10:52am   #8
I think you should get it, but have it done somewhere that's easier to conceal for work.
Jun 28, 2010, 10:53am   #9
Orange Lotus FTW
I have a few tattoos, but none where they will show at work. My work is very relaxed, but I feel it's just not appropriate.
I'd be VERY hesitant to get a tattoo on my hands.
Jun 28, 2010, 11:45am   #10
Only ok if the bank is located within a tattoo parlour.
Jun 28, 2010, 12:35pm   #11
♥ LoVe ♥
I personally think tattoos should be covered, unless you work in an industry that embraces them.

People still have a certain perception of tattoos whether it's a butterfly or a naked lady with a skull

I would get it somewhere where it can be covered up. I have 2, but you can only see 1 of them and only if I'm in a bikini. I figure if I'm in a bikini, I'm probably not conducting business anyway!
Jun 28, 2010, 1:46pm   #12
I agree with most, it would probably be better to get it somewhere easily covered up. Lots of workplaces have a "no visible body art" rule.
Jun 28, 2010, 7:20pm   #13
UNMUTUAL
Hands are risky when it comes to tattoos, we use them for hand shakes, signing papers and pointing all the time. It could make co workers and customers uncomfortable. Not good for business really.

How about a nice ring with your grandmother's name engraved? I'm really sorry for your loss.
Jun 29, 2010, 2:23am   #14
i won't recommend it.
Jun 29, 2010, 8:53am   #15
p
Account Deactivated
I agree with Lily. You use your hands everyday and it is something that people with notice. While I don't think it would look bad, I don't think it will be appropriate for your work enviroment. I would wait it out or if you wouldn't mind changing the location, do that.
POST A REPLY
  HOME The Playground Career and Workplace