Home The Playground Career and Workplace

Can't sleep! Please help...been offered a position BUT...

POST A REPLY

Aug 3, 2012, 4:32pm   #16
So what about the other one?
Aug 3, 2012, 6:31pm   #17
wind sylph
Originally Posted by bnjj
Soooo, what happened?

I likely would have accepted the first position. People rescind their acceptance of job offers all the time - sometimes their current employers entice them to stay, sometimes they get another offer for a position they wanted more. It happens. I've also seen people start positions and resign shortly thereafter as they got an offer for something they were interviewing for at the same time that they wanted more, it's just that that offer took longer.

It can be a PITA for the company to have someone rescind but companies look out for themselves, and we have to look out for ourselves.
Definitely, but just know that if you start and then quit really soon afterward, you burn your bridge with that company/organization and with the hiring manager/HR person who may move on to other companies/organizations that you might apply to in the future. Always best to avoid burning a bridge as much as possible, to weigh that decision carefully, but agree that you have to look out for yourself.
Aug 7, 2012, 4:37pm   #18
Update: I got the offer for Job #2!!!! I'm so thrilled and excited!!!

I had accepted Job #1 couple of weeks back because I couldn't risk waiting on Job #2's decision. I did all the paperwork last week and supposed to start tomorrow. Well, I called employer #1 and apologized profusely but explained that this other job is more suitable for me. I know and understand that I have burned my bridges with them and will probably never get a job with them again but that's okay. Job #2 is something I see myself definitely doing for a long time!
Aug 7, 2012, 8:05pm   #19
2 Loves:Lola & Loki
Originally Posted by jeNYC
Update: I got the offer for Job #2!!!! I'm so thrilled and excited!!!

I had accepted Job #1 couple of weeks back because I couldn't risk waiting on Job #2's decision. I did all the paperwork last week and supposed to start tomorrow. Well, I called employer #1 and apologized profusely but explained that this other job is more suitable for me. I know and understand that I have burned my bridges with them and will probably never get a job with them again but that's okay. Job #2 is something I see myself definitely doing for a long time!

OMG Congrats on getting the job you really wanted. I know what you mean about the burned bridges...something almost exactly the same happened to me! It's an awful feeling but we got to look out for ourselves, not the company!
Aug 7, 2012, 11:36pm   #20
Originally Posted by Dancechika24

OMG Congrats on getting the job you really wanted. I know what you mean about the burned bridges...something almost exactly the same happened to me! It's an awful feeling but we got to look out for ourselves, not the company!
Thank you very much! I feel awful but yes, I have to do what's best for me. Im sure they have a runner up.
Aug 8, 2012, 3:20pm   #21
Originally Posted by Dancechika24
I agree. This happens all the time.

Congratulations!
Aug 8, 2012, 9:34pm   #22
Judge Roughneck
Congratulations fellow social worker!
POST A REPLY
  HOME The Playground Career and Workplace