ASOS

Black Friday 30% Off With Code: TGIBF
Home > >

Nova check - to be discontinued?

POST A REPLY

May 31, 2012, 3:13am   #1
xoespresso
Hi ladies,

I don't usually post in this forum, but had a question that I thought one of you might be able to help answer-- does anyone know how much longer the nova check pattern will be available?

I'm asking cuz I've considered buying a small nova check bag for my mom, then saw this... Now im not sure??

http://www.wwd.com/business-news/fin...n-year-5923440

"Burberry plans to terminate its Nova Check, one of the firm’s early iconic patterns with a khaki background and burgundy, black and white stripes. The company said the Asia-made Nova Check accessories line is still a big, highly profitable business, but is no longer right for the brand."

TIA! :)
May 31, 2012, 5:28am   #2
smiley13tree
I wasn't able to read the article since I don't have a subscription, but wow this is such a surprise. This is definitely the pattern I recognize Burberry by. I can't believe they will discontinue it!
May 31, 2012, 5:31pm   #3
n
novabluetake2
I don't have an account to read it either but it makes no sense to terminate something that's both highly profitable and recognizable. Watch sales tank after they implement it and they'll probably "reintroduce" it and praise themselves when the $ starts going up again.
May 31, 2012, 8:31pm   #4
Schrodinger
is in a sealed box.
Hi ladies,

Unfortunately, I will be confirming the sources and everything that you are reading about the Nova Check is true. The Nova Check was introduced years, years ago and in Latin, it means "New". Sadly, it has lived out its longevity (it's "shelf life" per say) and no longer labeled as "new". Burberry is heading in a completely different direction of where Nova currently stands and though it would sad to see it go, there will be better and newer pieces to look forward to in the future.

As with Burberry Timepieces, I recommend if you enjoy the current designs and price points, please consider on investing in one. As of next year, Burberry is planning on a new initiative to create extremely, higher quality, emacculate timepieces. The lowest price point is estimated to be $1,000 and nothing priced lower.

So, overall, if you love the nova check, stock up! You might not see it ever again!
Jun 1, 2012, 1:10am   #5
xikry5talix
kry5tal...get it?!:]
Are they getting rid of the scarves also?? Noooooo
Jun 1, 2012, 9:58pm   #6
xoespresso
Originally Posted by Schrodinger
Hi ladies,

Unfortunately, I will be confirming the sources and everything that you are reading about the Nova Check is true. The Nova Check was introduced years, years ago and in Latin, it means "New". Sadly, it has lived out its longevity (it's "shelf life" per say) and no longer labeled as "new". Burberry is heading in a completely different direction of where Nova currently stands and though it would sad to see it go, there will be better and newer pieces to look forward to in the future.

As with Burberry Timepieces, I recommend if you enjoy the current designs and price points, please consider on investing in one. As of next year, Burberry is planning on a new initiative to create extremely, higher quality, emacculate timepieces. The lowest price point is estimated to be $1,000 and nothing priced lower.

So, overall, if you love the nova check, stock up! You might not see it ever again!
Sad! What you said definitely matches the WWD article... A bit further down, it says:

“When we started out, it represented one-third of our offering, but over the years we’ve been able to develop a richer and more innovative use of the Burberry check,” said Stacey Cartwright, executive vice president and chief financial officer. “We’ve outgrown it.”

I'm just curious now how long it'll take before the nova check disappears! (and the watches too -- thx for the tip about that!!)
Jun 1, 2012, 10:41pm   #7
poshmommy
That's a shame. I always liked the nova check pattern. I hope they replace it with something good!
Jun 1, 2012, 10:45pm   #8
glamourdoll.
Wow. I'm really surprised. This is what usually comes to mind when I think of Burberry. Guess I should get some items that I've been holding off on.
Jun 2, 2012, 1:40am   #9
Schrodinger
is in a sealed box.
To also build up on the point, the Nova Check collection is constructed mainly from polyvinyl chloride (otherwise known as PVC), which is why the Nova Check collection is at a lower price point - for the masses.

In the recent few years, Burberry has been trying to go greener for the environment (cutting back on printed materials and going digital). Within that same initiative, it's been realized that the manufacturing of the main components for PVC is very hazardous to our environment.

Protecting the environment > Company profits.
I think this is great that Burberry is taking the initiative to take care of our environment first before thinking about personal profits, unlike other luxury brands (ahem ahem).
Last edited Jun 2, 2012 at 1:59am.
Jun 2, 2012, 1:57am   #10
n
novabluetake2
I do like the older PVC material they use for the Nova checks. They don't stain as easy as whatever newer material they use now. I've never had any kind of color/dye transfers on them but the newer ones. Yeesh!
Jun 2, 2012, 11:53pm   #11
poshmommy
I asked our local Burberry today if this was true. She said that all of the nova check would be sent to the outlets within 3 weeks.
Jun 3, 2012, 12:47am   #12
MOMx2inLV
COACH now in LVOE
Oh wow thanks for the info. My first and only burberry purchases have only been in the nova check pattern. I was planning to sell but now I will appreciate that I have my small collection :-)

Sent from my iPhone using PurseForum
Jun 3, 2012, 11:15am   #13
purseprincess32
Wow this is surprising since the Nova check is an iconic pattern for Burberry. I have a nova check wallet, cute Burberry silver watch with a nova check strap, large hobo patent black & nova check, and the nova check & silver belt, and the classic nova check tote.
Jun 3, 2012, 1:07pm   #14
hamster2
Oh no this is so shocking and sad..... I love the nova check!!! :(
Jun 4, 2012, 6:38am   #15
r15324
Dismembered
Originally Posted by xikry5talix
Are they getting rid of the scarves also?? Noooooo
I believe Nova Check only applies to bags and accessories since it is an interpretation of the burberry check... Scarves are check, giant check, mega check etc. other bags and accessories in beat check, haymarket check etc should still stay on. From my interpretation, it is just Nova Check that will be discontinued...
POST A REPLY
  HOME > >