Home Premier Designers Bottega Veneta Bottega Veneta FAQs and Care Reference

Using beeswax to make Matita Card Case zipper run more smoothly

POST A REPLY

Jun 25, 2009, 1:06pm   #1
My Matita Zip Around Card Case had a zipper that was hard to open and seemed to be getting worse so I asked around for a solution.

A friend of mine recommended using solid beeswax to make a zipper run more smoothly. I bought a solid stick at JoAnn's Fabrics for under $4 and ran it around the outside and inside of the zipper concentrating on the corners. I was shocked at how much easier the zipper moves. The excess wax just falls off (I don't know if I'd try this on a light colored item, though).

Hope this helps someone like it helped me. Silly, but this made my day and I want to tell the world :)

(If I put this in the wrong location or if it's a duplicate, sorry!)
Jun 26, 2009, 1:08am   #2
Thanks for the information!

I'd like to give the beeswax a try as the zippers on my San Marcos Julie tote are a bit tough to open.
Jun 27, 2009, 10:30pm   #3
Thank you for sharing this, Miss_FancyBags! Very Good and useful information!
Jul 25, 2009, 8:30am   #4
My pleasure!
Dec 12, 2009, 2:02pm   #5
Since I couldn't find the beeswax at Joann's, I tried waxed paper instead and it helped the zipper on my tornabuoni veneta.
Dec 12, 2009, 8:54pm   #6
Leilani01 - that's a great idea!! I may try that out myself :)
Dec 13, 2009, 12:17am   #7
BV, Choo Ferragamo
You can also buy a beeswax candle. This is a common woodworkers trick when putting in screws...run the screw across the beeswax candle before screwing it in.

I have used the Teflon drawer slide spray for zippers. I spray it on a cotton swab or small paintbrush and paint it on the teeth. This also works well.
Dec 13, 2009, 2:02pm   #8
Runner
I had considerable difficulties to unzip my matita coin case to the point that it got stuck several times and i couldnt pay for items. It was pretty embarrasing, so i took the case to the boutique for repair around 6 weeks ago. I havent heard from them yet, i must give them a ring this week.
Dec 13, 2009, 3:24pm   #9
^^^ mariabdc - that's how bad mine was! I thought I was going to break the zipper because I had to pull so hard especially around the corners and hated using it. I was unzipping and zipping and then it would get stuck and I'd have to start all over until I finally just left it open all of the time and that sort of defeated the purpose of a zip-around case (lol).

Ever since I tried the beeswax last June, it's been perfect and runs smoothly. I was so relieved - whew! I love that there are all of these other great ideas that I wouldn't have thought of like wax paper and beeswax candles and Teflon drawer slide spray

Thanks, jburgh - I will try the Teflon spray w/ swab on a zipper (clothing) that has been giving me some trouble!
Dec 13, 2009, 4:37pm   #10
Arrrooooo!
My mom used to keep some of the wax she had previously melted down and used to seal jams and jellies in a drawer in the kitchen and whenever we had a sticky window or something else like that we would get out a piece and use it. Fond memories...
Dec 19, 2009, 4:02pm   #11
Runner
Update: i got my matita coincase back today from the factory. It "only" took them 6 weeks to fix it.
It looks brand new, i wonder whether they sent a new coin case... but i guess it is mine, they have probably cleaned it as well. The zipper runs very smoothly, it is so easy to open it now.
I should have browsed the items while i was there: i am obsessed with the knot again!
POST A REPLY
  HOME Premier Designers Bottega Veneta Bottega Veneta FAQs and Care Reference