POST A REPLY

Sep 8, 2007, 9:11am   #16
Lucy & 1 of her bags
I get corrected no matter how I say it. I just laugh it off.
Sep 8, 2007, 10:21am   #17
Originally Posted by Glamfoxx
I always thought it was pronounced Bot-kee-yay since Cartier is pronounce Car-tee-yay. I am assuming the name is French.
That's what I was thinking! I also assume the name is French. I'm not sure if the T is pronounced though - Boo-kee-yay or Bot-kee-yay.
Sep 8, 2007, 11:17am   #18
Cortney
HAHAHA I have been wondering this very same thing! I just fell in love with the Bryant and had to have it even though I had no idea how to say Botkier. But I'm special like that
I say "Bott-key-air" as well
Sep 8, 2007, 11:20am   #19
a
Ladybug Lucy
I always assumed it was bot-kee-yay. Otherwise I dunno.
Sep 8, 2007, 11:22am   #20
is really in love...
How about "BO - KEY - AY" ?????
No "t" sound.....
Sep 8, 2007, 11:23am   #21
a
Ladybug Lucy
Originally Posted by jchiara
How about "BO - KEY - AY" ?????
No "t" sound.....

I think that's it! No "t".
Sep 8, 2007, 11:27am   #22
is really in love...
Yup - all them us them there Americains probally botch up them there french acceints so badly....

I think it's no "t" as well.
I took French for a couple of years (I'm no expert, believe me), but I don't remember a lot of that "t" sounding in the language. It's just so...so....pedestrian!
Sep 8, 2007, 11:29am   #23
Originally Posted by FAYE19
i called their store in n.y. (212) 343-2782;and it's botkier as in "bot-key-yer"
That's how I say it.

I was always taught that if there's a C, R, F or L constanant at the end of a French word you pronounce it. And you do pronouce the T, because it's in the middle of the word.
Sep 8, 2007, 11:32am   #24
Originally Posted by GottaHavePrada
I get corrected no matter how I say it. I just laugh it off.
Hehe, I think we should all just pick whichever one we like, and then when we're corrected, proceed to tell that person he/she is so very wrong
Sep 8, 2007, 1:14pm   #25
I can't stoaaaaahp!!
I read that she's part Polish, which is where her name comes from, not French. I always pronounced it Bot-key-ay, until I called several stores and they all pronounced it Bot-Key-Air.
Sep 8, 2007, 1:40pm   #26
♥☺♫Love who I am♫☼♥
That's cool she was born in Brooklyn. Didn't someone already call the store?
Sep 8, 2007, 3:01pm   #27
m
(Isabel)
Originally Posted by purseinsanity
I read that she's part Polish, which is where her name comes from, not French. I always pronounced it Bot-key-ay, until I called several stores and they all pronounced it Bot-Key-Air.
I tried saying it out loud a few different times like Bot-key-ay as in Cartier, etc etc.

To me, it still sounds best as Bott-key-air.
Sep 9, 2007, 1:09am   #28
Balenciagaga
Why bother trying to pronounce it. Just point to it and say, "I'll have that one, and please gift-wrap it."
That just seems to roll off the tongue doesn't it?
Last edited Sep 9, 2007 at 1:11am. Reason: Hit reply too quickly -didn't get to finish my thought!
Sep 9, 2007, 6:18am   #29
Ooooh, so it IS French?
Then it's pronounced Bo-key-yay, like Jchiara said, a silent T!

(It's definitely not Bot-key-air! It's pronounced like Cartier. I thought it was Bot-key-air too at first, but my mother studied the French language and she said that's only possible if it's spelled Botkiere.)
Last edited Sep 9, 2007 at 6:20am.
Sep 9, 2007, 8:12am   #30
I studied French. For many years. I still think the NY SA's pronunciation correct: Bot-key-uhr.

But whatever. Say it however you want
Last edited Sep 9, 2007 at 8:14am.
POST A REPLY
  HOME Contemporary Designers More Contemporary Designers Botkier