Visit our 2014 Holiday Gift Guides
Home > >

Your favorite book quote of the day...

POST A REPLY

May 3, 2011, 5:11am   #1
nillacobain
I made a search but found nothing. Here's mine:

Quote:
"Good-bye, my moonsong and my breath, my white nights and golden days, my fresh water and my fire. Good-bye, and may you find a better life, find comfort again and your breathless smile, and when your beloved face lights up once more at the Western sunrise, be sure what I felt for you was not in vain. Good-bye and have faith, my Tatiana."
Paullina Simons (The Bronze Horseman)

Just finished re-reading this book and I think I'm still in love with it.
May 3, 2011, 6:23am   #2
Tangerine
Layered.Like nachos.
The one in my signature. It by Cormac McCarthy, from "All The Pretty Horses".

That book contains pretty much 90% of my favorite quotes from any books.
May 3, 2011, 3:43pm   #3
GhstDreamer
Lady Philosophy
Here's one of my favourites (it's a short speaking passage) from Kino Travels the Beautiful World:

The Author: "The difference between reality and illusion is that illusions are which humans have created. Life begins when you make a distinction between yourself and others. From that moment, the world becomes a stage in which you are the main character. Yet all people exist in the illusion that they are the main character. But the world, cruel as it is, denies you that role of the main character. It’s quite a twist and everyone is burdened with this sad bit of irony. But there is one way to escape."
Kino: To not to be a main character, to be a smaller role, or…
The Author: "That’s right, to be an author."
Hermes: "You do know he’s crazy right?"
Kino: "All I know is that normal people would never become authors."
May 4, 2011, 12:23pm   #4
babypie
"I was born from nothing and to nothing I will return. And yet, when i say the word nothing, when i admit, at last, 'I am nothing,' i feel mysteriously like something again, ground zero, genesis, the pull of possibilities."
— Lauren Slater Lying: A metaphorical memoir
May 4, 2011, 12:28pm   #5
nillacobain
"Not bombs nor my broken heart can take away from me walking barefoot with you in jasmine June through the Field of Mars."
Paullina Simons (The Bronze Horseman)
May 4, 2011, 3:00pm   #6
mrb4bags
" I may not have been sure about what really did interest me, but I was absolutely sure about what didn't".

Albert Camus
The Stranger
May 12, 2011, 12:21pm   #7
babypie
“As a rule he is charming to me, and we sit in the studio and talk of a thousand things. Now and then, however, he is horribly thoughtless, and seems to take a real delight in giving me pain. Then I feel, Henry, that I have given away my whole soul to someone who treats it as if it were a flower to put in his coat, a bit of decoration to charm his vanity, an ornament for a summer’s day” Oscar Wilde in The Picture of Dorian Gray
May 12, 2011, 9:25pm   #8
GhstDreamer
Lady Philosophy
The world is constantly changing. And you can’t expect it to stay the same, even for a second. If that’s true, there’s no need for you to go on a journey. Even if you stay in one place, you’ll be able to keep experiencing the world!

Hermes from Kino Travels the Beautiful World
May 13, 2011, 12:19pm   #9
g
girlyevil
“I keep thinking about this river somewhere, with the water moving really fast. And these two people in the water, trying to hold onto each other, holding on as hard as they can, but in the end it’s just too much. The current’s too strong. They’ve got to let go, drift apart. That’s how I think it is with us. It’s a shame, Kath, because we’ve loved each other all our lives. But in the end, we can’t stay together forever.” - Never Let me Go
May 15, 2011, 6:52pm   #10
babypie
“There is such a little time that your youth will last—such a little time. The common hill-flowers wither, but they blossom again. The laburnum will be as yellow next June as it is now. In a month there will be purple stars on the clematis, and year after year the green night of it’s leaves will hold its purple stars. But we never get back our youth. The pulse of joy that beats in us at twenty becomes sluggish. Our limbs fail, our senses rot. We degenerate into hideous puppets, haunted by the memory of the passions of which we were too much afraid, and the exquisite temptations that we had not the courage to yield to. Youth! Youth! There is absolutely nothing in the world but youth!”

Oscar Wilde: The Picture of Dorian Gray
May 15, 2011, 8:44pm   #11
GhstDreamer
Lady Philosophy
"I'm going to rub your faces in things you try to avoid. I don't find it strange that all you want to believe is only that which comforts you. How else do humans invent the traps which betray us into mediocrity? How else do we define cowardice?"

Dune
May 16, 2011, 12:09pm   #12
babypie
"A love like that was a serious illness, an illness from which you never entirely recover."

— Charles Bukowski (The People Look Like Flowers At Last: New Poems)
May 16, 2011, 12:33pm   #13
NYCBelle
oh so fabuleuse
"I was dead until you found me, though I breathed. I was sightless, though I could see. And then you came...and I was awakened."
— J.R. Ward (Lover Awakened)
May 16, 2011, 1:21pm   #14
GhstDreamer
Lady Philosophy
"You will be required to do wrong no matter where you go. It is the basic condition of life, to be required to violate your own identity. At some time, every creature which lives must do so. It is the ultimate shadow, the defeat of creation; this is the curse at work, the curse that feeds on all life. Everywhere in the universe."

Philip K. Dick (Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?)
May 16, 2011, 1:42pm   #15
h
hotshot
these are great quotes.. thanks for sharing..

mine is ever thine
ever mine
ever ours

from Sex & the City when Carrie was reading love poems to Mr. Big...or the other
way around....can't remember
POST A REPLY
  HOME > >