Visit our 2014 Holiday Gift Guides
Home > >

What's your favorite fashion magazine?

POST A REPLY

Aug 2, 2014, 3:38am   #1
OsloChic
I found some old threads on this topic but as times are changing I thought it would be fun to start a new discussion on this!

I've been subscribing to Vogue US for a few years and though I find many of the articles great (they do get the best writers for sure) I find the fashion a bit unacessible(is that the right word? Pardon my spelling ladies). So I find myself going through the magazine a few times and then it's just boring. I also find it a bit "elitist". (Look at this rock stars island, oh I travel the world all the time and just hang out with gorgeous rich people)

I hear Vogue Italia is supposed to be great, but maybe I'll find that just as unacessible? I do know some Italian but probably not enough to enjoy their articles :-P

Norwegian fashion magazines are just really expensive and generally lack in content I think. So I need to subscribe to something else to get my fix :-P

Also, are the British mags generally different than the American ones for instance?

Thoughts in this would be greatly appreciated!
Aug 5, 2014, 9:37am   #2
LabelLover81
Peace Love & Purses
Vogue was always a bit too artsy for me. I like my fashion mags easy to digest (cause I'm lazy!). When I read magazines, InStyle was my go to option.
Aug 5, 2014, 10:48am   #3
ChanelGirlE
xoxo
^^ I second InStyle, I've been a subscriber for over 10 years. It's more "real world" yet still informative and up to date on all style trends for any price range. I also like People Style Watch and Elle although I don't subscribe to either, I'll pick up an issue from time to time.
Aug 5, 2014, 10:59am   #4
Cindi
My baby, Bellis
People Style Watch is my favorite. They have really good articles about things I care about like dressing for your shape and clothes that "normal" people would actually wear. The bags, jewelry, shoes, clothes that they highlight are in a variety of prices again for "normal" people. I find Vogue and Elle to showcase clothes that I would never wear even if I could afford them.

I'm not sure if you can get the print copy in Norway but they do have a digital copy so I don't see why you wouldn't be able to get that version.
Aug 6, 2014, 1:47am   #5
OsloChic
Originally Posted by LabelLover81
Vogue was always a bit too artsy for me. I like my fashion mags easy to digest (cause I'm lazy!). When I read magazines, InStyle was my go to option.
I know right? I can't decipher all their artsy photos I need it in plain writing!

InStyle is a good tip, thanks :)
Aug 6, 2014, 1:49am   #6
OsloChic
Originally Posted by ChanelGirlE
^^ I second InStyle, I've been a subscriber for over 10 years. It's more "real world" yet still informative and up to date on all style trends for any price range. I also like People Style Watch and Elle although I don't subscribe to either, I'll pick up an issue from time to time.
I prefer the real world too, that's where I live haha!

Elle is kinda cool I'm considering that one.
Aug 6, 2014, 1:51am   #7
OsloChic
Originally Posted by Cindi
People Style Watch is my favorite. They have really good articles about things I care about like dressing for your shape and clothes that "normal" people would actually wear. The bags, jewelry, shoes, clothes that they highlight are in a variety of prices again for "normal" people. I find Vogue and Elle to showcase clothes that I would never wear even if I could afford them.

I'm not sure if you can get the print copy in Norway but they do have a digital copy so I don't see why you wouldn't be able to get that version.
Great tip about the digital version! I'll check that out for sure :)

I hate it too when everything is 500+ dollars and you need to like call people to get in line for clothes. It's just not helpful at all!
Aug 15, 2014, 6:49pm   #8
plumaplomb
Harper's, Vogue, etc. are just pointless for me due to the crazy price points. I understand some people like to look for inspiration or to see what's new and what will come trickling down into "knock offs" but still... no thanks.

On the other hand, I don't want to waste money on cheaply made clothes and faux leather (such as Forever 21 or Nine West...man Nine West has gone down the tubes in terms of quality!!).

I really like InStyle -- it's accessible.
Aug 18, 2014, 5:28pm   #9
Poth
Poth+Cary
Another vote for InStyle. I just want to take a bath with some wine and have some fun reading.
Aug 19, 2014, 11:22am   #10
r
rose60610
Vogue, Vanity Fair, Elle, Harpers. Women's Wear Daily is superb. I subscribe to Vogue, VF and WWD. Sometimes the Wall Street includes a fashion magazine in its Saturday issue, and when they do, it's a great read. The Saturday inserts of the Financial Times called "How to Spend It" are great. Even when the prices of some of the items are rather celestial, the fashion looks are inspiring to achieve on a more realistic spending level.
Sep 8, 2014, 9:57am   #11
deeth
hero of the story
I used to buy piles of fashion magazines but I haven't really gotten any new ones since a few years ago, not sure why. Maybe I'm out of storage space haha.

I loved Vogue Italia, Numéro France and Flair Italia the best.
Sep 10, 2014, 3:26pm   #12
lovlouisvuitton
I am not into Fashion mags, unless it's a LV one!
Sep 10, 2014, 3:39pm   #13
OsloChic
Originally Posted by deeth
I used to buy piles of fashion magazines but I haven't really gotten any new ones since a few years ago, not sure why. Maybe I'm out of storage space haha.

I loved Vogue Italia, Numéro France and Flair Italia the best.
Haha yes it can become too much! Yey a vote for Vogue Italia. Are you italian perhaps? I'm a huge fan of that country
Sep 22, 2014, 4:15am   #14
babysunshine
Elle, Her World.
Sep 23, 2014, 10:06am   #15
deeth
hero of the story
Originally Posted by OsloChic
Haha yes it can become too much! Yey a vote for Vogue Italia. Are you italian perhaps? I'm a huge fan of that country
Sorry, I never got a quote notification so I didn't see this until now. I'm not Italian (I'm Finnish), I just used to be really into fashion photography and those three magazines had the best editorials. :)
POST A REPLY
  HOME > >