Home The Playground Books & Music

What's your favorite book? All Genre

POST A REPLY

May 27, 2009, 1:21pm   #46
SOOO banned!
Hands down, Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen will always be my favorite book of all time. It's so well-written and timeless! Mr. Darcy will always be to dreamy to me!

I also love The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan. I read it a long time ago, and still come back to it every now and then. The movie still makes me cry to this day. I think I love it only because I can relate to the women's stories, since I'm a 1st generation Chinese-American female.
Last edited May 27, 2009 at 1:24pm.
May 27, 2009, 2:18pm   #47
i.am.sweet.melissa
OF MICE AND MEN by John Steinbeck. After I read it I couldn't believe I had lived so long without that book in my life- I love to read and I love books and I had never had a feeling like that before. Next up is TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD= a VERY close 2nd.
May 28, 2009, 5:38am   #48
Layered.Like nachos.
Originally Posted by baby&melovelv
OF MICE AND MEN by John Steinbeck. After I read it I couldn't believe I had lived so long without that book in my life-
I'm embarassed to say that I've never read it. I really want to..

Did you ever see Friday Night LIghts... they did an episode where a smart guy had to read this book to a football player while he worked out as a part of his tutoring, it was super LOL but they worked it into the plot and theme so well that it made me curious about the book.
May 28, 2009, 1:56pm   #49
Emily :)
Originally Posted by lunatwinkle
.I also love The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan. I read it a long time ago, and still come back to it every now and then. The movie still makes me cry to this day. I think I love it only because I can relate to the women's stories, since I'm a 1st generation Chinese-American female.

This book is definitely one of the best IMO and the movie only made me love it more.
May 28, 2009, 2:42pm   #50
Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov (I'm surprised nobody has mentioned it yet!)
The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski (SUCH a unique book)
Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll
Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston (The love story was so touching)

Other books I love but aren't really "books": The Odyssey, Dante's Inferno, Grimm's Fairy Tales
Last edited May 28, 2009 at 2:46pm.
May 28, 2009, 5:14pm   #51
So Banned!
The Deep End of the Ocean
I Know This Much is True
May 28, 2009, 5:14pm   #52
So Banned!
Originally Posted by baby&melovelv
OF MICE AND MEN by John Steinbeck. After I read it I couldn't believe I had lived so long without that book in my life- I love to read and I love books and I had never had a feeling like that before. Next up is TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD= a VERY close 2nd.
Those are both very good.
May 28, 2009, 6:34pm   #53
Wasted by Mark Johnson

True story and so heartbreaking....loved it.
May 28, 2009, 7:50pm   #54
Anything by PG Wodehouse but especially the Jeeves and Wooster series.
Siddhartha by Herman Hesse.
Historical biographies by Antonia Fraser or Amanda Foreman. Their subjects are more fascinating than any fiction.
And my childhood favorite Black Beauty. Still makes me weepy...
May 28, 2009, 9:27pm   #55
To Kill a Mockingbird is my all time favorite book. I read it for the first time in 6th grade, we read it for an assignment, and it's been my fave ever since.

I also love the Twilight series and all of the Sophie Kinsella books
May 28, 2009, 9:51pm   #56
I have a few more since I last posted:

Love Creeps and Nude Men, both by Amanda Filipacchi. These are the funniest books I've ever read. Her characters are so quirky and the plots are fun but they make you think. She's only written three books, and I haven't had the change to read the other yet, but I'm sure it's great too. She is a very underrated author!
May 28, 2009, 9:54pm   #57
Dogs Rule
The Lord of the Rings series..read 'em waaaay before the movies came out, and was pleasantly surprised by the movie adaptations! I cry at the end of Return of the King, without fail. I love The Two Towers the best, and The Hobbit is also up there :) I still love Watership Down, and The Hot Zone (true story about an Ebola outbreak in Reston, Va) is always excellent no matter how many times I read it!
Last edited May 28, 2009 at 9:58pm.
May 30, 2009, 12:01pm   #58
Originally Posted by Miss Dior Cherie
^ Snow Crash! Loved it. Also liked Cryptonomicon a lot, but you have to carve out some time to read that one.
- Yeah I am about to attempt my third try at Cryptonomicon! I downloaded that and Snow Crash (never read that) to my Kindle.
My favorites:

"East of Eden", John Steinbeck

Most anything by Isaac Asimov, Arthur C Clarke, Philip K Dick (all science fiction)

And an odd one, but just rivetting - I read it over again every year or two:

"The Stranger Beside Me" by true crime writer Ann Rule - about serial killer Ted Bundy. She actually worked with him at a (suicide?) hotline center before or when the killings just started. What an amazing coincidence. The book is fascinating.
May 30, 2009, 2:46pm   #59
s.n.o.r.e.
The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen
Catch-22 by Joseph Heller
anything by David Sedaris
"Macbeth" by Shakespeare
The Harry Potter series

there are so many books i have yet to read though but i think these will remain constant on my list.
May 31, 2009, 10:39am   #60
The 'belle is back!
Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe.

It is SUCH a classic book whose theme is still relevent to this day!
POST A REPLY
  HOME The Playground Books & Music