Home The Playground Books & Music

What Classics/books did you blow off in school?

POST A REPLY

Nov 15, 2010, 10:56pm   #31
dreaming of Coach...
Scarlet Letter, 100 Years of Solitude and Old Man and the Sea for sure and I'm sure there are others!

I really like to read but those types of books were not meant for me. I struggled with Shakespeare at times as well. I almost want to try reading a couple now that I have more years of experience. My mom was an English major in college so she sympathized with me!
Nov 16, 2010, 7:11am   #32
oh so fabuleuse
Originally Posted by Kitsunegrl
I have never read Catcher in the Rye.

you're not alone lol
Nov 16, 2010, 8:36am   #33
I skipped all the Greek dramas such as Antigone. They did not (and still do not) interest me. And also a couple of Hungarian classics...We had these books that had summaries of all the compulsory reading material, it was very useful.
Nov 16, 2010, 8:43am   #34
G
Poetry. I've always hated it.
I've never been a big fan of Shakespeare or ancient Greek mythology either.
Nov 16, 2010, 10:24am   #35
BV, Choo Ferragamo
The Scarlet Letter for me, too. Seemingly, a most disliked book, hehe.
Nov 16, 2010, 10:29am   #36
Living life...
Originally Posted by Nicole429
I haaaaaaaated Heart of Darkness. I remember coming up with some kind of scheme with my friends where we split the book up and worked on projects together so none of us actually had to read the whole book. Then the night we graduated we had a huge bon fire and burned all of our copies of the book.
Aw, Heart of Darkness was one of my absolute favorite books. But, I grew up watching Apocalypse Now so knew what I was getting myself into.

The only book I have ever avoided reading for a class was written by Barbara Tuchman IIRC. I just couldn't buckle down and read it. I ended up winging it in class.
Nov 16, 2010, 10:38am   #37
save mode..on.
Moby Dick.
Nov 16, 2010, 4:05pm   #38
hubba hubba ;)
A Tale of Two Cities

I asked my friends before class to give me the plot and I faked my way through class.
But I did read lots of others!
Nov 16, 2010, 7:46pm   #39
oh, wow, there were a lot of them that I gave up reading... which is surprising because I used to read a lot as a kid. Guess it's all about what interests you. I loved the old Greek classics (Odyssey, Iliad, Oedipus/Antigone) and Shakespeare (Hamlet, Twelfth Night, King Lear) but hated:

Heart of Darkness (so boring! all they do is wander around a forest!)
Paradise Lost (the first couple paragraphs were such a turn off- he basically rips off the Greek classics and implies that his book will be as great... also I'm not Christian and all the random references to the Bible were totally over my head)
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (...I went through an anti-boy hero phase in middle school, mostly because I thought they were all arrogant and always the best at everything - essentially, they weren't realistic enough)
Nov 17, 2010, 6:13pm   #40
p
Originally Posted by lvpiggy
"I say, beware of all enterprises that require new clothes"

Piggy says, beware of all books that instruct you to beware of all enterprises that require new clothes
Ha! good one, Piggy! That quote was also mocked in "A Room with a View" =)

Alrighty, I admit I loved almost every required reading. The lone exception would probably be "Catcher in the Rye" because everyone else thought it was so COOL to be Holden Caulfield. Please.
Nov 17, 2010, 7:37pm   #41
feels like pigsomnia
Originally Posted by pl888
Ha! good one, Piggy! That quote was also mocked in "A Room with a View" =)

Alrighty, I admit I loved almost every required reading. The lone exception would probably be "Catcher in the Rye" because everyone else thought it was so COOL to be Holden Caulfield. Please.
What's "A Room with a View?" Is that another book? (^(oo)^)
Nov 18, 2010, 11:34am   #42
k
^ Don't know about the book, but the movie was great!
Nov 18, 2010, 11:49am   #43
Miss Alexandria Pup
pl888- I liked Catcher in the Rye mostly because it was easy reading and it made sense (sort of). There wasn't a whole lot to dissect or interpret.
Nov 18, 2010, 1:42pm   #44
D N A
Originally Posted by gelbergirl
A Tale of Two Cities

I asked my friends before class to give me the plot and I faked my way through class.
But I did read lots of others!
Oh, I really liked A Tale of Two Cities! Not a lot of my classmates did...

Echoing the Heart of Darkness hate. I could not get through that book at all. Had to write an essay and failed miserably. I would also like to add Kafka's Metamorphosis in this this category (not gonna lie, I don't understand that novella).

For me: The Catcher in the Rye, anything by Jane Austen (I'm sorry, but she became the go-to author for starry-eyed girls and I just ran away from anything she wrote because of that), As I Lay Dying, 1984 (still want to read it one day), Catch 22...

Originally Posted by karmenzsofia
I remember reading the first line or two of Hemingway's "The Old Man and The Sea" and thinking to myself, "I....don't think so."
[LIST][*]Dickens' "Great Expectations" didn't meet my expectations on the first page either, so I blew it off.[*]Shakespeare's "Romeo & Juliet"...well, what for? After so many plays and movies, wouldn't that be a colossal waste of time? Next!
Great Expectations was a colossal waste of time, and I have no problem telling the world how much I cannot stand Romeo & Juliet. Ugh.
Nov 18, 2010, 2:32pm   #45
I'm a college student, but back in high school, the one book I couldn't even complete reading was Moby Dick. I made it halfway, but that was it.

Another one I had a disdain for was Beloved. I did get through that, but ugh!
POST A REPLY
  HOME The Playground Books & Music