Home The Playground Books & Music

What books could you just NOT finish?

POST A REPLY

Oct 26, 2010, 5:51pm   #1
And why? Did you feel guilty? Did you force yourself to keep going?

I couldn't finish Anna Karenina, I just found it soooo dull.

I also only got halfway through The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova. My friend raved about it and I felt guilty not wanting to finish it. It just didn't interest me at all.
Oct 26, 2010, 5:54pm   #2
Living life...
Moby Dick.

It is officially the only book that I haven't completed once starting. I reached a lull in the story line and ended up putting it down. Next thing you know I had read several other books and then I just gave up on it all together. At this point I don't even know where my copy went to! I still feel guilty about it. I feel like it is one of those must read books and that I am missing out on something.
Oct 26, 2010, 6:47pm   #3
Shoe and Bag Addict
Confessions of a Sociopathic Social Climber - Adele Lang - horrible! Read maybe 100 pages.
Oct 26, 2010, 6:57pm   #4
Middlesex. Got about 1/2 of the way through it, put it down & didn't pick it back up.
Oct 26, 2010, 7:48pm   #5
everything is peachy
The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien.

I tried so hard to get into it, but it bored me to death. It's really too bad because that book is to blame for turning me off of Fantasy/Sci-Fi genre indefinitely.
Oct 26, 2010, 7:57pm   #6
t
Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett - uggghhhhh :S 1000 pgs about the architecture of a church.
Oct 26, 2010, 8:16pm   #7
Originally Posted by babypie
And why? Did you feel guilty? Did you force yourself to keep going?

I couldn't finish Anna Karenina, I just found it soooo dull.

I also only got halfway through The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova. My friend raved about it and I felt guilty not wanting to finish it. It just didn't interest me at all.
When I saw the title of the thread, "Anna Karenina" was the first thought. I got half way through and gave up. I did like The Historian though.
Oct 26, 2010, 8:39pm   #8
Coachie & Minkette
Originally Posted by peach.

I tried so hard to get into it, but it bored me to death. It's really too bad because that book is to blame for turning me off of Fantasy/Sci-Fi genre indefinitely.
I actually really liked The Hobbit but when I tried to move on LOTR I couldn't get through them.

A book I was so excited to get my hands on was Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrel. An adult Harry Potter was how it was described to me but I just could not force myself to finish it. All the footnotes drove me nuts and it was just so slow going.
Oct 26, 2010, 8:39pm   #9
Living life...
Originally Posted by tsjmom
Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett - uggghhhhh :S 1000 pgs about the architecture of a church.
lol Reading your comment cracks me up! He really did dwell too much on things that had no bearing on the story.
Oct 26, 2010, 8:51pm   #10
A few that come to mind:

Aztec
- so many people have raved about it, but I just couldn't get into it.

The Historian - I like vampire novels so I thought this would be a perfect read for me. I couldn't be bothered to finish it.

The Help - could not get into this for the life of me.

And while I do like some SF/Fantasy, LOTR bores me to tears.
Oct 26, 2010, 8:52pm   #11
My rule... since 4th grade... is to give a book 100 pages or four chapters to decide if I'll continue it. Life is jusy too short to read books that don't hold my interest.

It was like pulling teeth to read to page 100 of Twilight. I did, though... but that was as far as I read.

I gave up on Shopaholic & Sister, A Danielle Steel book in college (cannot remember the title), Eat, Pray, Love are a few that come to mind.

I'm sure there are many more
Oct 26, 2010, 9:13pm   #12
Dogs Rule
Little Women. What torture!

I have to say, I LOVE The Hobbit and LOTR - I read the whole series 3x. Dorky, I know.
Oct 26, 2010, 11:04pm   #13
Prima Donna Assoluta
Originally Posted by peach.

Oh God, tell me about it. I couldn't get past a couple of pages. It didn't turn me off Fantasy/Sci-Fi, though. I still love the genre, just nothing by Tolkien.

Also, 100 Years of Solitude. I think I actually got halfway through, but I felt like it was dragging and confusing and just didn't really care for anything happening.
Oct 26, 2010, 11:05pm   #14
Prima Donna Assoluta
Originally Posted by boomie
Little Women. What torture!

I have to say, I LOVE The Hobbit and LOTR - I read the whole series 3x. Dorky, I know.
I just had to post again hehe cause I found it funny that I looooove Little Women (read it several times), but absolutely can't get through a Tolkien book!!
Oct 27, 2010, 12:31am   #15
I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt that way about The Historian!
POST A REPLY
  HOME The Playground Books & Music