Visit our 2014 Holiday Gift Guides
Home > >

What books could you just NOT finish?

POST A REPLY

Oct 27, 2010, 1:33am   #16
Coach+Louislove
Ducks for the Cup!
Twilight- read the first 2 chapters and was like, wow. This is extremely boring.
And Life Of Pi by Yann Martel. I could not get in to it. I had to read it in grade 11 for English class but ended up reading a summary on it (which is what everyone else in my group did) to be able to do the project. It is one of my sister's favourite books though, so maybe now that I'm a couple years older I would understand it more.
Oct 27, 2010, 2:21am   #17
Junkenpo
CHOOSE KINDNESS
For Whom the Bell Tolls.... I think I got about 50 pages in & then got distracted... I've never picked it up again to finish it.
Oct 27, 2010, 2:51am   #18
G
GirlFriday
Cloud Atlas
Moby Dick
Catch 22
Underworld
Oryx and Crake
Oct 27, 2010, 2:59am   #19
kymmie
superficial quirk
A Confederacy of Dunces...ugh.
Oct 27, 2010, 3:55am   #20
Bentley1
Originally Posted by tsjmom
Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett - uggghhhhh :S 1000 pgs about the architecture of a church.

Completely agree! I was going to say this very book. I just couldn't do it, as hard as I tried! So much hype, but it just wasn't for me!
Oct 27, 2010, 5:23am   #21
c
cookiecrumble
Eat Pray love after the first part it just bored me.
Deception point just couldn´t get into it at all.
Oct 27, 2010, 5:38am   #22
Mediana
~Travelista~
Originally Posted by cheermom09
Middlesex. Got about 1/2 of the way through it, put it down & didn't pick it back up.
*LOL* me too. My plan was to finish it, but it's so long and it drags out.

Other books. Confessions of a Shopaholic, Shopaholic Abroad, Remember me and Twenties girl. Yes, all of them from Sophie Kinsella. I've given up now.

Next up. Nicholas Sparks, didn't finish Dear John.
Oct 27, 2010, 5:46am   #23
Tangerine
Layered.Like nachos.
Originally Posted by tsjmom
Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett - uggghhhhh :S 1000 pgs about the architecture of a church.

UGH YES. Absolutely HORRIBLE. I just feel bad that I allowed it to waste so many hours of my time.

Also, Villette by Charlotte Bronte. Every single great thing that Jane Eyre had, this was missing... it sure wasnt short on tedious existentialism though. Lord...

Another notable one: The Thorn Birds by Colleen McCollough . It was hugely melodramatic, often verging on hilarious parody, and it focused on the ridiculous badly told story elements, while seemingly totally abandoning the elements that held any potential at all. She was feeling around in the dark with this one.
Oct 27, 2010, 5:49am   #24
MichelleAntonia
<3
Originally Posted by missmustard
Also, 100 Years of Solitude. I think I actually got halfway through, but I felt like it was dragging and confusing and just didn't really care for anything happening.
You're better than me, I could only do 75 pgs of Love In The Time Of Cholera before I figured out that my consistently foul mood could be attributed to my attempts at this book.

Oh boy, Gabriel García Márquez.. I don't mean to offend anyone, this guy is considered some sort of "genius" after all... but his books are unbearable. Maybe it's the translation, but he doesn't follow a chronological thread, is tangential to an extreme, and the story is just weeeeeeeighed dooooooooown by all the "lyricism". So heavy handed, yikes.
Oct 27, 2010, 5:51am   #25
Tangerine
Layered.Like nachos.
Originally Posted by Junkenpo
For Whom the Bell Tolls.... I think I got about 50 pages in & then got distracted... I've never picked it up again to finish it.

OMG, this reminds me!

Hands down the most infuriatingly pointless book I've ever attempted: The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway.

I quite literally threw it across the room. It is nothing more than a log of the routine of purposeless, lazy drunks who treat each other like s**t, they just happen to live in some nice European cities. And by nothing..... I mean that my head was spinning at the sheer repetitive nature of the hideously mundane details. EH should be ashamed of himself. It will take a miracle for me to give him another chance.
Oct 27, 2010, 5:51am   #26
MichelleAntonia
<3
Originally Posted by Mediana
*LOL* me too. My plan was to finish it, but it's so long and it drags out.

Other books. Confessions of a Shopaholic, Shopaholic Abroad, Remember me and Twenties girl. Yes, all of them from Sophie Kinsella. I've given up now.

I read the first one, and it took me a really short time too, but I won't be reading any others. So much about the story and the character just offended me. As a woman and as a (aspiring)storyteller.
Oct 27, 2010, 7:35am   #27
boomie
Dogs Rule
Originally Posted by missmustard
I just had to post again hehe cause I found it funny that I looooove Little Women (read it several times), but absolutely can't get through a Tolkien book!!
That is pretty funny :) Tolkien doesn't seem very popular, but I just can't help myself!
Oct 27, 2010, 9:09am   #28
nillacobain
Originally Posted by peach.
The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien.

I tried so hard to get into it, but it bored me to death. It's really too bad because that book is to blame for turning me off of Fantasy/Sci-Fi genre indefinitely.
Same here. I think I read 10 pages total! Not really my genre!

Also, Virginia Woolf's books. I can't get into them because of her writing.
Oct 27, 2010, 9:28am   #29
lvpiggy
feels like pigsomnia
Let me preface this by saying that I will pretty much read anything you put in front of me. Even if it's boring, poorly written and completely nonsensical, I will read it. I even read the little warranty cards that come with electronics.

In my entire life, I have encountered only 2 books that I could not finish because they just caused complete brain shutdown. Both were gifts. I attempted the first one in the summer of 2001, and the second in the winter of 2005. I don't know how I never made this connection before . . . but both books are by the same author!

At least it shows I have very consistent taste, I suppose (^(oo)^)v

Anyway, the author is Jhumpa Lahiri, and I was completely incapable of finishing either The Namesake or Interpreter of Maladies, despite the critical acclaim accorded to both.

Off to add Lahiri to the Authors You Do Not Like thread now (^(oo)^)
Oct 27, 2010, 9:30am   #30
bagaholic85
eat pray love. i kept falling asleep and everyone else i know loves that book. i just dont really get it
POST A REPLY
  HOME > >