POST A REPLY
 
Thread Tools
Jun 5, 2014, 11:07am   #1
Nadia Nader's Avatar
Thread Starter
Member
Hi everyone!

Is anyone interested in starting a tPF Book Club? We can decide on a book to read each month and discuss in the comments.

Please let me know if you are interested!
Jun 12, 2014, 11:48am   #2
clevercat's Avatar
Murphy's Mama
I think we did this a few years ago. Great idea - I'm in!


How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.
Robert A. Heinlein
Jun 12, 2014, 1:04pm   #3
19flowers's Avatar
Member
love this idea - let's do it!
Jun 12, 2014, 1:22pm   #4
Cindi's Avatar
My baby, Bellis
We tried this a while ago and it didn't work out too well. I do like the idea and would be willing to give it another shot.
Jun 12, 2014, 7:55pm   #5
jburgh's Avatar
BV, Choo Ferragamo
Yep, remember that well. We had a heck of a time voting on the book to read. First was a suggestion thread, then a voting thread. We tried picking 2 books - something classic, and something modern. Then we had threads, with specific questions to discuss so we stayed on topic. About 15-20 people participated. I love to be in on it, but how would one go about picking the book? Last time, it was a two month process...one for picking and reading, and one for discussing. In the second month the next book choosing overlapped with the discussion of the last choice.
Jun 14, 2014, 3:14pm   #6
p
Member
I'm in...
Jun 14, 2014, 3:21pm   #7
purse mommy's Avatar
purses make me happy
I'm in
Jun 16, 2014, 12:11am   #8
shoe gal's Avatar
i want it all!
I'm in!
Jun 16, 2014, 4:50pm   #9
k
Member
Great idea! I need to get back on track with my reading. Thoughs on picking a book?
Jun 20, 2014, 5:35pm   #10
lnw85's Avatar
Member
I'm in. As far as picking a book, maybe we could put a few titles to a vote?
Jun 25, 2014, 7:35pm   #11
Nadia Nader's Avatar
Thread Starter
Member
Originally Posted by clevercat
I think we did this a few years ago. Great idea - I'm in!
Originally Posted by 19flowers
love this idea - let's do it!
Originally Posted by Cindi
We tried this a while ago and it didn't work out too well. I do like the idea and would be willing to give it another shot.
Originally Posted by jburgh
Yep, remember that well. We had a heck of a time voting on the book to read. First was a suggestion thread, then a voting thread. We tried picking 2 books - something classic, and something modern. Then we had threads, with specific questions to discuss so we stayed on topic. About 15-20 people participated. I love to be in on it, but how would one go about picking the book? Last time, it was a two month process...one for picking and reading, and one for discussing. In the second month the next book choosing overlapped with the discussion of the last choice.
Wow, I hope we can work out something that will be faster!

Originally Posted by purseproblm
I'm in...
Originally Posted by purse mommy
I'm in
Originally Posted by shoe gal
I'm in!
Originally Posted by krissa
Great idea! I need to get back on track with my reading. Thoughs on picking a book?
Originally Posted by lnw85
I'm in. As far as picking a book, maybe we could put a few titles to a vote?
Thanks for all the responses! I'm excited, I think we can make this work!

Option 1:
Nominate 1 book that you would like to read and we will vote from the list of submitted books.

Option 2:
Mention your favorite genre. I can put together a list of books we could choose from.

Option 3:
We can choose from the following books I randomly picked from NY Bestseller list.

1-All The Light We Cannot See-Anthony Doerr
http://www.amazon.com/All-Light-We-C...3741886&sr=1-2

2-The Invention of Wings-Sue Monk Kidd
http://www.amazon.com/Invention-Wing...741922&sr=1-31

3-The Husband's Secret-Liane Moriarty
http://www.amazon.com/Husbands-Secre...741943&sr=1-39

4-Me Before You-Jojo Moyes
http://www.amazon.com/Me-Before-You-...741985&sr=1-51

5-The Light Between Oceans-M.L.Stedman
http://www.amazon.com/Light-Between-...741985&sr=1-52


So first things first, vote on which option you prefer. The one with the most votes wins. We'll go with majority rule, okay?


It would be great if we could start this by July. Am I being too optimistic if we can get it done by July 15th? That should give everyone enough time to get the book. Please let me know what you think
Jun 25, 2014, 7:38pm   #12
k
Member
Option 3 sounds easiest I've read a few of them. I'd go with invention of wings if I could vote now lol. I wouldn't mind rereading me before you or the husbands secret though. Fingers crossed this works out :)
Jun 25, 2014, 7:41pm   #13
lnw85's Avatar
Member
Originally Posted by Nadia Nader
Wow, I hope we can work out something that will be faster!











Thanks for all the responses! I'm excited, I think we can make this work!

Option 1:
Nominate 1 book that you would like to read and we will vote from the list of submitted books.

Option 2:
Mention your favorite genre. I can put together a list of books we could choose from.

Option 3:
We can choose from the following books I randomly picked from NY Bestseller list.

1-All The Light We Cannot See-Anthony Doerr
http://www.amazon.com/All-Light-We-C...3741886&sr=1-2

2-The Invention of Wings-Sue Monk Kidd
http://www.amazon.com/Invention-Wing...741922&sr=1-31

3-The Husband's Secret-Liane Moriarty
http://www.amazon.com/Husbands-Secre...741943&sr=1-39

4-Me Before You-Jojo Moyes
http://www.amazon.com/Me-Before-You-...741985&sr=1-51

5-The Light Between Oceans-M.L.Stedman
http://www.amazon.com/Light-Between-...741985&sr=1-52


So first things first, vote on which option you prefer. The one with the most votes wins. We'll go with majority rule, okay?


It would be great if we could start this by July. Am I being too optimistic if we can get it done by July 15th? That should give everyone enough time to get the book. Please let me know what you think
I think July 15 is reasonable. No problem here. I think Option 3 would work well - especially since you have already put together a list of books! I'm sure that would help with getting things up and running.
But that's just my vote!
Jun 25, 2014, 7:42pm   #14
abwd's Avatar
Member
I'm interested! This sounds great.
Jun 25, 2014, 8:58pm   #15
Cindi's Avatar
My baby, Bellis
I also vote for option #3. I think that will narrow it down enough and the books are bestsellers so hopefully they are interesting and well written. I was thinking this same thing today when I was looking at the NYT bestseller list.


Don't forget everyone to subscribe to this thread so we all new when there are new postings.
POST A REPLY
  HOME The Playground Books & Music  
TOP

Thread Tools