Home The Playground Books & Music

That's It?: Books Whose Endings Left Much to be Desired

POST A REPLY

Nov 10, 2010, 5:18pm   #16
Originally Posted by canadianstudies
How about the Elfstones of Shannara by Terry Brooks? (spoiler warning)

SHE TURNS INTO A TREE. A TREE. A TREEEEEEEE.

Whaaaaat? LOL
Nov 10, 2010, 5:43pm   #17
African violet
Originally Posted by LisaG719
I completely agree with the Stephen King comments. That man cannot end a story. It seems like he is trucking along with all these great ideas and then *BAM* aliens.
Ha! That's too funny! I've never read any Stephen King, and this certainly isn't making me want to read his works.

Originally Posted by canadianstudies
How about the Elfstones of Shannara by Terry Brooks? (spoiler warning)

SHE TURNS INTO A TREE. A TREE. A TREEEEEEEE.

Say what?! Hahaha!
Nov 10, 2010, 7:45pm   #18
AHS...Yes!
Originally Posted by jburgh
Hehe, Stephen King, too with The Dark Tower Series. I read all seven books, they were a great escape, then came the ending...lame-o!
OMG...I was so pissed when I got to the end! I've never felt so ripped off in my life!
Nov 10, 2010, 7:48pm   #19
AHS...Yes!
Originally Posted by Sweetwon
Lol, just goes to show that I cannot type and talk to someone at the same time.
Sweetwon: When Twilight's first action figures were released, there was a misprint on Edwards package. It said, Edwards special ability was "Ming Reading" instead of mind reading. I thought you were referencing that. LOL
Nov 11, 2010, 1:57am   #20
Someone mentioned Wicked. Read Son of a Witch to finish that story. I don't consider A Lion Among Men, the third in the trilogy, to be a must-read.
Nov 11, 2010, 8:16am   #21
monkeyseemonkeybuy
Agree wholeheartedly with Atonement. A very similar ending that left me feeling cheated was Anita Shreve's The Last Time They Met.
Nov 11, 2010, 11:28am   #22
you win or you die
Originally Posted by admat97
Sweetwon: When Twilight's first action figures were released, there was a misprint on Edwards package. It said, Edwards special ability was "Ming Reading" instead of mind reading. I thought you were referencing that. LOL
Wow, what is the chance of that? I had no idea.
Nov 11, 2010, 11:33am   #23
So Proud!!
The book that immediately comes to mind for me was The Witching Hour by Anne Rice. I remember thinking "I just read 700+ pages for this!!" It was so long ago. It is the first of a trilogy and I've thought maybe I should give it & the series a chance, but can't bring myself to do it.

Originally Posted by LADC_chick
Ha! That's too funny! I've never read any Stephen King, and this certainly isn't making me want to read his works.
Not a Stephen King fan, but once I saw The Green Mile I had to read the book. Loved it even more.
Nov 11, 2010, 1:52pm   #24
& My Motos & Shoes!
Nicholas Sparks' latest, SAFE HAVEN. The ending left me saying, "WTF! You expect me to believe THAT?" It kinda ruined the book for me, which up until that point I thought was pretty good.
Nov 11, 2010, 3:10pm   #25
African violet
Originally Posted by iluvmybags
Nicholas Sparks' latest, SAFE HAVEN. The ending left me saying, "WTF! You expect me to believe THAT?" It kinda ruined the book for me, which up until that point I thought was pretty good.
Yeah, that's the exact reaction I had to the book I mentioned in my opening post.
Nov 11, 2010, 10:18pm   #26
Back to reality
Valley of the Shadow by Tom Pawlik. It was the sequel to his book, Vanish, and I was high disappointed with Valley of the Shadow. I thought Vanish was pretty good though.

MetaGame by Sam Landstrom was another book that I didn't like the ending. It was a free book on the kindle and I was surprised how much I liked it, I thought it was very original, and the climax of the book happens, you find out what's been going on all this time, and then it starts to suck. I'm sure it's a set-up for a sequel, but it's still annoying.

Lastly, Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger. The book wasn't very good to begin with, but the ending was so bad!!!
Last edited Nov 11, 2010 at 10:22pm.
Nov 11, 2010, 10:22pm   #27
k
Meyer's "Breaking Dawn" -- bloody crappy.
Nov 12, 2010, 11:56am   #28
you win or you die
^It really is I wish she had ended the series at Eclipse.
Nov 13, 2010, 8:33pm   #29
OMFG.
I agree about Breaking Dawn.

Also, "Paper Towns" by John Green...ugh it was awful the whole way through and then the ending was the worst.
Nov 14, 2010, 6:11am   #30
The ending of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows...I mean, the epilogue. It just read like a BAD piece of fan fiction.
POST A REPLY
  HOME The Playground Books & Music