Home The Playground Books & Music

Sweet Valley Confidential: Ten Years Later...

POST A REPLY

Mar 30, 2011, 3:10pm   #61
I Miss The 80s & 90s
I was reading my Entertainment Weekly magazine and the reviewer spoiled parts of the book!!!!

Needless to say but the review was mixed...
Mar 30, 2011, 4:52pm   #62
nail polish addict
I'm halfway through. Cheesy so far but nice to read the characters I loved so much in junior high and high school again.
Mar 31, 2011, 8:04pm   #63
nail polish addict
Just finished it...it was okay, kind of underwhelming. Didn't suck me in like the old Sweet Valley High books used to.
Apr 6, 2011, 11:15pm   #64
Orange Lotus FTW
^^^
Agreed. There was way too much whining back and forth for 75% of the book.
Apr 7, 2011, 3:59am   #65
rêveuse
I downloaded the sample for my Kindle. I was quite excited about it as I loved the Sweet Valley Twins books when I was younger.

I was quite underwhelmed with the section that I read. I'll keep it on my radar in the event that it becomes a free book to download, but at this stage I don't think I'll be buying the book.
Apr 7, 2011, 5:42am   #66
m
Wine nerd
just finished reading it and while it's definitely cheesy and quite "rushed" it was like a trip down memory lane for me. so it's all good
Apr 9, 2011, 1:11pm   #67
Fish Out of Water
Omg I'm so happy I found this here! Hahaha! I read Sweet Valley growing up. From Sweet Valley Kids to Twins to High and University. I even watched the series (which was kinda not so good..) I'm so gna read this one! :)
Jul 16, 2011, 9:29am   #68
a
Just read this one. I admit the Sweet Valley High books were a guilty pleasure but this book was awful ... even for a beach read.
It didn't seem 'true' to the original characters and the flashbacks written in present tense were painful to read. Oh and there were a lot of ambiguous pronouns used, so sometimes it took me a paragraph or two to figure out who the narrarator was supposed to be.
Jul 16, 2011, 12:35pm   #69
I think it's just been so long that Francine Pascal herself forgot a lot of the details (and it's not as if she could've re-read her entire series to refresh herself!). I haven't read the book yet, but I've read an indepth review, and it seems the author contradicts things she's written in previous books in this.
Feb 8, 2012, 1:40pm   #70
I cant wait to get this! I was such a Sweet Valley Fan! My friends and I used to exchange our books through our so-called Sweet Valley Fan Club..
Feb 8, 2012, 1:59pm   #71
okay i just realised that i read this a little late..
Feb 20, 2012, 4:31pm   #72
I'm definitely going to be ordering this on Amazon this week!
Feb 21, 2012, 1:58pm   #73
In Love
Originally Posted by stacmck
I'm halfway through. Cheesy so far but nice to read the characters I loved so much in junior high and high school again.
I read these too when I was younger. Is it worth reading even tho it's cheesy?
Mar 3, 2012, 10:18am   #74
This is awesome. Obviously late in the game for posting on this two year old thread but I will definitely be trying to find this.
May 16, 2012, 7:44pm   #75
j
I read it & while I was quite underwhelmed with the story & the writing, I got a warm fuzzy reading about my favorite childhood characters. Prior to finishing this book, I probably closed my last Sweet Valley book around 1988. Not sure I like the idea of age-progression; I think these characters should have remained eternally young & (in my world) in the 80s. Having said that, I'm not a huge fan of 'reunion' type shows (like 20 years later) either! LOL!
POST A REPLY
  HOME The Playground Books & Music