Home The Playground Books & Music

Revenge Wears Prada

POST A REPLY

Jun 8, 2013, 9:43am   #1
love me some bags!
I'm about 2/3 thru the book. Without spoiling the story for others, what are your thoughts?
I'm worried that this is going to get messy. In other words, it's not going to end up sunshine and flowers for Andy.
Jun 9, 2013, 11:55pm   #2
D
I just finished it and thought it was just ok. It seemed (to me at least) that whenever the story was just getting interesting, it would skip ahead a few months to a new set of problems where Andrea would just ramble and let things fester in her head. I don't know...
Jun 10, 2013, 6:09pm   #3
love me some bags!
I don't know what she was doing with Max. She was so unforgiving of him.
Jun 23, 2013, 10:27am   #4
Woo boy! This is going to be a long one! Sorry in advance.

To be honest, I really found this book disappointing. I loved The Devil Wears Prada. It was a great book, and the movie was fantastic too. When I saw there was a sequel I immediately purchased it and went home to read it.

The characters were disappointing. I have a real issue lately with women characters who are incapable of being direct in their lives and instead let issues pile up. All of this could have been avoided if Andy had just come right out and said what she was thinking/feeling. I felt like the author did a disservice to Emily, Max, and even Alex.

I don't know. I think this book had the potential to be better but the same issue just dragged on and on for the duration of the book which got boring. The characters didn't grow/change with the exception that Andy eventually stood up for herself, but basically it was too late at that point. I was also quite annoyed with how the book ended based on how the author had written the characters.

The author spent a lot of time bringing into play how Alex was a real jerk after Andy quit her job. I get that they grew apart - that's fine. However, moving away without a real end to the relationship is a crap thing to do. I felt that their encounters throughout the book were really awkward. It felt like Alex didn't want anything really to do with Andy but Andy was still harping about how she'd always have a place in her heart for him. I get that: it's your first real love, of course they're still special. I felt that the ending was a real cop out though. The author spent a lot of time establishing Alex's character and the relationship with Andy a certain way. It seems like the ending was a rushed decision and is bringing them back together because it would be "romantic". I personally feel that it's not romantic: it's insulting.

If my memory serves me correctly The Devil Wears Prada, while having bishes, was actually an intelligent and interesting read. Andy was a bit of a doormat but the book ended with her developing enough of a spine and stand up to the queen bish herself. I feel like the author really did Andy a disservice by reverting her back to being a doormat, incapable of communication, and just in general conflict averse.

I was really disappointed by this book. None of the components (fashion, wit, etc) that made The Devil Wears Prada an amazing read seemed to exist in this book. At this point I'm really tired of reading literature that feature either spineless women, women who are incapable of being direct or communicating their needs/desires, or women who are just bishes. This book had all three components and by the end of the book I just felt like my intelligence had been insulted.
Last edited Jun 23, 2013 at 10:28am. Reason: added spoiler tags
Jun 23, 2013, 1:07pm   #5
I have this on hold at the library. I've been reading reviews (including your spoiler... my choice, of course!) and I think I'm going to pass on this book.

From what I've read... she should have left well enough alone and let Devil Wears Prada stand alone. Not every novel needs a sequel.
Jul 5, 2013, 12:36pm   #6
Peace Love & Purses
I haven't enjoyed any of her books. Don't get me wrong, I LOVED the DWP movie, but her writing just doesn't suit me.
Jul 5, 2013, 8:21pm   #7
love me some bags!
I was trying to be very careful when starting this thread to not spoil it for anyone.
I concur. What a tremendous disappointment this was.
I will read it again. I want to give it another chance and see what I may have missed in the first go 'round.
Jul 12, 2013, 3:42am   #8
b
When does it come out?
Jul 12, 2013, 5:16pm   #9
love me some bags!
The book has already been released in the US.
Jul 15, 2013, 12:25pm   #10
I found it a bit lame, like the sequel of the Nanny Diaries.... Huge parts of the story seemed constructed to me, and at some point I found Andy almost paranoid.
A nice read for the train but not half as good as the first book.
Jul 28, 2013, 6:53pm   #11
h
Originally Posted by gacats
I was trying to be very careful when starting this thread to not spoil it for anyone.
I concur. What a tremendous disappointment this was.
I will read it again. I want to give it another chance and see what I may have missed in the first go 'round.
Save your time...you really didn't miss anything with this one...Meh to the 100th percent...
Aug 20, 2013, 7:50pm   #12
Just finished this and I was so irritated by the end. It felt so contrived and forced and I just hated Andy by the end. I will definitely think twice before picking up another of her books.
Sep 3, 2013, 11:06pm   #13
Nasty Bish
Originally Posted by illari
Woo boy! This is going to be a long one! Sorry in advance.

To be honest, I really found this book disappointing. I loved The Devil Wears Prada. It was a great book, and the movie was fantastic too. When I saw there was a sequel I immediately purchased it and went home to read it.

The characters were disappointing. I have a real issue lately with women characters who are incapable of being direct in their lives and instead let issues pile up. All of this could have been avoided if Andy had just come right out and said what she was thinking/feeling. I felt like the author did a disservice to Emily, Max, and even Alex.

I don't know. I think this book had the potential to be better but the same issue just dragged on and on for the duration of the book which got boring. The characters didn't grow/change with the exception that Andy eventually stood up for herself, but basically it was too late at that point. I was also quite annoyed with how the book ended based on how the author had written the characters.

The author spent a lot of time bringing into play how Alex was a real jerk after Andy quit her job. I get that they grew apart - that's fine. However, moving away without a real end to the relationship is a crap thing to do. I felt that their encounters throughout the book were really awkward. It felt like Alex didn't want anything really to do with Andy but Andy was still harping about how she'd always have a place in her heart for him. I get that: it's your first real love, of course they're still special. I felt that the ending was a real cop out though. The author spent a lot of time establishing Alex's character and the relationship with Andy a certain way. It seems like the ending was a rushed decision and is bringing them back together because it would be "romantic". I personally feel that it's not romantic: it's insulting.

If my memory serves me correctly The Devil Wears Prada, while having bishes, was actually an intelligent and interesting read. Andy was a bit of a doormat but the book ended with her developing enough of a spine and stand up to the queen bish herself. I feel like the author really did Andy a disservice by reverting her back to being a doormat, incapable of communication, and just in general conflict averse.

I was really disappointed by this book. None of the components (fashion, wit, etc) that made The Devil Wears Prada an amazing read seemed to exist in this book. At this point I'm really tired of reading literature that feature either spineless women, women who are incapable of being direct or communicating their needs/desires, or women who are just bishes. This book had all three components and by the end of the book I just felt like my intelligence had been insulted.
I agree.
If Andy had come right out and said, "I don't want to sell Plunge to that woman, I don't want to face the possibility of working for Miranda again. I'd rather my own well-being over a good business deal" maybe Max would have understood.

Instead, there was a lot of hemming and hawing and her saying "I don't want to talk about it yet" which gives the impression it was open for discussion.

Max was left with making the decision for her. Not an excuse, he shouldn't have done that, but Andy essentially backed him into a corner.

I don't think she should have divorced him because it wasn't like this horrible person doing something to an innocent victim.

I don't think she should have left that marriage without doing everything possible to make it work. And by "making it work" I mean seeing a marital counsellor and talking about the fiance, the letter and the sale of the magazine.

In the end, selling the magazine was not, in fact, the right thing to do, but the way she handled it sucked. She essentially forced his hand to be sneaky because she wouldn't outright talk about it.

Granted, there wouldn't have been as much drama, but if she had said, "I'm not selling to Miranda. Emily can buy me out, and she can sell the magazine then, but I'm not going to be involved."

And I thought she had a great thing going with Max. Part of me hoped they'd find a way to work it out. That's why I didn't like the idea of her getting back with Alex. She didn't do everything possible to see if her marriage to Max would work. Go through marital counselling and if that still doesn't work, ask me again how I feel about Andy dating Alex again.

I'm glad I read it, but it wasn't as good as the first one.

Last edited Sep 3, 2013 at 11:15pm.
Sep 4, 2013, 9:54pm   #14
1-27-12 <3
I haven't read the book yet. It's next on my to read list. I'll read all of your responses after I finish it.
Sep 29, 2013, 6:46pm   #15
p
I was so looking forward to this, but my goodness is it bad. The characters show no growth, and Andy sack up it's been 10 years. I get it, but your inablility to be a grownup is affecting more than yourself just ugh. I don't think I'd wish this book on my worst enemy.
POST A REPLY
  HOME The Playground Books & Music