Home > >

Using wholesale or consolidators for airfare

POST A REPLY

Sep 16, 2011, 9:37am   #1
DC-Cutie
I'm going on a month long trip next year and there will be 2 long haul flights. I've been researching wholesale and consolidators for cheaper first or business class airfare.

Anyone have experience?
Pros and Cons?
Suggestions for companies to use or steer away from?

Thanks
Sep 16, 2011, 10:02am   #2
V
Vegas Long Legs
Traveler
Have you checked http://www.alphaflightguru.com? Been in contact with them, not used them yet. They seem to want a commitment that you'll buy now, not just shopping. Too early for me to commit.

The back of the WSJ many times has an ad for 'cheap' first/business class seats.
Sep 16, 2011, 10:56am   #3
DC-Cutie
Yes, I've seen those ads in the Washington Post, too.

So far, I've contacted AsapTickets and their quote first class was more than 50% off! I'll continue to do research, because it just sounds too good to be true.
Sep 16, 2011, 11:27am   #4
buzzytoes
Dog Chauffeur
What are consolidator flights?? I assume this is something mostly to be used on overseas flights?
Sep 16, 2011, 11:28am   #5
buzzytoes
Dog Chauffeur
Originally Posted by Vegas Long Legs
Have you checked http://www.alphaflightguru.com? Been in contact with them, not used them yet. They seem to want a commitment that you'll buy now, not just shopping. Too early for me to commit.

The back of the WSJ many times has an ad for 'cheap' first/business class seats.
Is this like Priceline where you have to commit before you know the times or do they just try again if they find a flight you don't like?
Sep 16, 2011, 12:01pm   #6
DC-Cutie
Originally Posted by buzzytoes
Is this like Priceline where you have to commit before you know the times or do they just try again if they find a flight you don't like?
consolidator flights is where the agency buys in bulk and offers the seats at discounts.

It's not like priceline where you don't know. The flights I've requested have listed all of the airlines, flight numbers and itinerary. no surprises
Sep 16, 2011, 12:32pm   #7
V
Vegas Long Legs
Traveler
^^^ DC is correct.
The one I listed asked if I was ready to commit. (Need only one leg of my flight from Europe as all seat in business/first were gone using points. Very busy route to South Africa.) I'm not, waiting till closer date. Don't want to burn up lead.

Its not just for overseas flights.
Sep 16, 2011, 12:37pm   #8
DC-Cutie
OK, so I purchased a first-class fare for my trip to Morocco next month (it's refundable). I'm thinking of cancelling that ticket and re-booking with Alpha Flight guru, since it will be about $9K less!!! More money for shopping
Sep 16, 2011, 12:47pm   #9
V
Vegas Long Legs
Traveler
I would rebook.

Nice to know alpha flight guru came through for you. That is a big savings! Good for you!
Sep 16, 2011, 2:14pm   #10
buzzytoes
Dog Chauffeur
^^^ DC is correct.
The one I listed asked if I was ready to commit. (Need only one leg of my flight from Europe as all seat in business/first were gone using points. Very busy route to South Africa.) I'm not, waiting till closer date. Don't want to burn up lead.

Its not just for overseas flights.
Not to be completely OT but where are you flying into? Our trip only had a layover in London. We flew into Joberg I think.

Good deal DC!!!
Sep 16, 2011, 9:11pm   #11
V
Vegas Long Legs
Traveler
Into Cape Town, out of Jberg.
Cape Town is supposedly where most fly into. (I was told)
It was very easy getting business class seats out of Jberg home.
Sep 16, 2011, 10:33pm   #12
buzzytoes
Dog Chauffeur
Into Cape Town, out of Jberg.
Cape Town is supposedly where most fly into. (I was told)
It was very easy getting business class seats out of Jberg home.
We flew in and out of Jberg (friends lived in Pretoria). Flew out of San Fran, layover in Heathrow and direct from there to Jberg.

Morocco and South Africa. I am jealous of both of you!
Sep 20, 2011, 2:01pm   #13
DC-Cutie
Update:I was able to cancel my ticket and re-book. I was a little skeptical at first, but the agent was very thorough during the whole process, emailed the cc autorization form with details about cancellation and/or change fees. He emailed my ticket within a few hours. I called Air France for confirmation of my reservation (the agent said "Madam, you recevied a wonderful fare!). Everything was good to go! I'll def use consolidators for my international travel. I still can't believe how much I saved and how easy it was.

But, as a word of caution, please research your agents. Thankfully, I live not too far from the Travel Agent Association, so I payed them a visit to make sure each company I called was registered and in good standing. i also did searches for customer reviews.
Sep 21, 2011, 12:40am   #14
Longchamp
Originally Posted by DC-Cutie
Update:I was able to cancel my ticket and re-book. I was a little skeptical at first, but the agent was very thorough during the whole process, emailed the cc autorization form with details about cancellation and/or change fees. He emailed my ticket within a few hours. I called Air France for confirmation of my reservation (the agent said "Madam, you recevied a wonderful fare!). Everything was good to go! I'll def use consolidators for my international travel. I still can't believe how much I saved and how easy it was.

But, as a word of caution, please research your agents. Thankfully, I live not too far from the Travel Agent Association, so I payed them a visit to make sure each company I called was registered and in good standing. i also did searches for customer reviews.
Good to know all this, thanks for posting.
Sep 21, 2011, 12:55pm   #15
BelleDuJour
Can you guys list some of these reputable consolidators? I've never heard of this before but am looking for a cheap flight to Italy. . .
POST A REPLY
  HOME > >