ASOS

Black Friday 30% Off With Code: TGIBF
Home > >

TSA guidelines for Vitamins in carry on luggage

POST A REPLY

Apr 5, 2011, 1:08pm   #1
digby723
Back to reality
Does anyone know if these are allowed in a carry on bag? My grandfather is flying in to visit, and he takes a lot of vitamins (B-12, D, etc) that he buys from Target. To be on the safe side, I'm going to advise him to separate them into travel containers, and put them in a ziplock baggy. Will this be ok? He's a very simple person, so I want to make this as easy for him as possible, and he hasn't flown since 2004 before all of this stuff started. He also takes a prescription medication, but I don't know how large it is. Assuming it's over 100 oz, he should alert TSA when he gets in the security line that he has a prescription medication, correct? Or should he just take it out of his bag and put it in a tray?

TIA!
Apr 5, 2011, 1:29pm   #2
DC-Cutie
You may bring all prescription and over-the-counter medications (liquids, gels, and aerosols) including petroleum jelly, eye drops, and saline solution for medical purposes.

Additional items you may bring include:

Liquids including water, juice, or liquid nutrition or gels for passengers with a disability or medical condition;
Life-support and life-sustaining liquids such as bone marrow, blood products, and transplant organs;
Items used to augment the body for medical or cosmetic reasons such as mastectomy products, prosthetic breasts, bras or shells containing gels, saline solution, or other liquids; and,
Gels or frozen liquids needed to cool disability or medically related items used by persons with disabilities or medical conditions.

You are not limited in the amount or volume of these items you may bring in your carry-on baggage.

BUT if the medically necessary items exceed 3 ounces or are not contained in a one-quart, zip-top plastic bag, you MUST declare to one of our Security Officers at the checkpoint for further inspection.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...rial_1059.shtm
Apr 5, 2011, 1:31pm   #3
j
jpgoeth
Shopinator
Vitamins are fine in there original containers, baggies, whatever. The only reason I'd bother taking them out of the bottles is to save space.

For his prescription (I'm assuming it's liquid and you meant over 100mL?), he should keep it in it's original container with his name on it, remove it from the bag with his ziplock of liquids, and tell the TSA agent that he has a medication before it goes through the scanner.

He'll be fine, don't worry!
Apr 5, 2011, 1:42pm   #4
digby723
Back to reality
Ok, thanks! I read the TSA website before posting, but I just wanted to make sure by someone who might have flown recently with vitamins.

I'm unsure of what his prescription is, I didn't ask how large it is, because I don't think he would have understood the question (I love my grandfather to death, but I'm not lying when I say he's a very simple man). I'll tell him to unpack it when he gets in line, and tell a TSA person that he's got a prescription medication when he gets the the airport.

I'm sure if, for whatever reason, they take his stuff, it won't be a problem and we can go to Target and get whatever it is that he needs (we've done it before) but I know he likes to come prepared.
Apr 5, 2011, 1:55pm   #5
kayti
I fly with prescriptions and I've never had to take them out or show a copy of my prescription (although I did bring it a few times just in case, now I don't bother). I've had them go through my bag for liquids and they've never questioned my pills.
Apr 5, 2011, 2:05pm   #6
digby723
Back to reality
^Great, thank you for posting this! I'm less anxious now for him. They live in a very rural area, and I know where he's flying out of is a similar area & mindset. I'm sure he'll be fine then with his vitamins & prescription.
Apr 5, 2011, 2:39pm   #7
kayti
:)
Apr 5, 2011, 7:57pm   #8
emcosmo1639
I travel all the time and have never had a problem with vitamins. I take a bunch so I divide them up in little snack size baggies for each day's worth and then put all of those in a big baggie for my trip. I leave it in my bag and have never had a problem or even been questioned. You should be fine.
Apr 5, 2011, 9:26pm   #9
digby723
Back to reality
^Great, thanks!
POST A REPLY
  HOME > >