Home The Playground Bon Voyage

PARIS tips - questions - advice!

POST A REPLY

Apr 22, 2008, 10:31pm   #61
N
Nes
*V is for Vintage*
I was going to recommend Hotel Valadon as well!! I heard great things about the place.
Apr 23, 2008, 4:42am   #62
Italian shopaholic
^ I did too! I tried to get a room there for this weekend, but it was fully booked :(
Apr 23, 2008, 11:32am   #63
Spoon by Alain Ducasse
L'Atelier De JoŽl Robuchon (3 Michelin Stars, innovative tapas, very small restaurant, only bar stools)
Apicius (in a gorgeous Parisian mansion)
Apr 23, 2008, 11:33am   #64
The caramel salt macaroons at Laduree are amazing! But lunch there is so overpriced, in my opinion.... It's kind of a tourist trap.
Apr 23, 2008, 12:11pm   #65
Pierre Gagnaire for lunch (another 3 star Michelin restaurant). Great food and the best service I've ever had. Located near the "Golden Triangle".

Moissonier for dinner -- AMAZING quenelles de brochet (pike quenelles). In the Latin Quarter, 28 Rue des Fosses-St.-Bernard.
Apr 23, 2008, 1:15pm   #66
I know it's cliche but George V is great! Plus you get to people watch.
Apr 23, 2008, 4:12pm   #67
I've got pics of hotel valadon, if anyone wants..but they probably look the same as the website. haha! PLus, if anyone is a dog lover, their Beagle harrier is soooo friendly and adorable. And their breakfast is homemade and u can actually buy their homemade jam/jelly to bring home, its yummylicious.

I wonder if the OP made her decision, seems like she hasnt been back.

and yeah, I was so surprised to be able to find nice affordable hotels in Paris. I was so sure I was gonna wind up in the jibibs far,far away from any attractions and the Metro.
Apr 24, 2008, 10:19am   #68
l
The 'Laurier' restaurant in the Galeries Lafayette has wonderful Mediterranean cuisine. You might want to go after 2 o'clock because the lunch crowd is tremendous. The interior is also classy and relaxing.
Last edited Apr 24, 2008 at 10:20am. Reason: image didn't show
Apr 26, 2008, 4:38pm   #69
are they closed in August? I am planning a trip to Paris and St. Tropez. I would love to shop the flea markets but my DH thinks they are closed then. Anyone with advice?? Thanks...
Apr 26, 2008, 5:05pm   #70
D N A
I wouldn't be surprised seeing as how August is not the best month to be traveling in Europe. Everyone's on vacation!
Apr 27, 2008, 11:00am   #71
S
Can anyone recommend their favorite flea markets and where they're located? I'll be there in May and would like to visit a few good ones.
Apr 28, 2008, 3:12pm   #72
N
Nat
Account Deactivated
Ada! So good to see you again, feels like I haven't seen you around in ages. Hope all is well with you

Anyway, my friend gave me this link of the flea markets and antique dealers: http://www.discoverfrance.net/France/Paris/Shopping/Paris_fleamkts2.shtml

Hope this helps and have a wonderful time in France! Paris is fantastic and St. Tropez is wonderful.
Apr 28, 2008, 5:16pm   #73
^^^Natalie- I've missed you too!!! All is well. Thanks for the great info!! I'll keep you posted on plans...
Apr 29, 2008, 12:29pm   #74
R
Roo
I posted this in another thread but will paste it here too. Hope it helps!

My favorite flea market in Paris is the Porte de Vanves flea market which is in the southern area of Paris near the peripherique. There is a bigger and more famous market (Marche aux Puces) in the northern quadrant but it is very expensive mostly because the items sold there are much older.

Porte de Vanves has items that are about 100 years old and newer. Some of the stuff is overpriced there too, but if you look you can find some little treasures. It is open Saturday and Sunday, weather permitting. Bring CASH and get there by 10:00 am at the latest. It is easy to get to on the Metro, the station you exit from is Porte de Vanves on ligne 13, exit the station and cross the street and turn to the right and you'll see the market.
May 3, 2008, 8:45am   #75
We stayed at the Hotel California..I know sounds lame..but we were NEVER in our hotel so in my opinion stay somewhere decent and comfy and save your money for Hermes, CHanel,or LV.

Hotel California is on the Rue de Berri, right off of the Champs-Elysees..like right across from the LV store and close to the Arc de Triomphe..it was a great location and the people who work there are sooo nice! Its also like a 5 min walk to the Avenue Montaigne and the Hermes store.not bad at all!
POST A REPLY
  HOME The Playground Bon Voyage