Home > >

PARIS tips - questions - advice!

POST A REPLY
 
Thread Tools
Jun 28, 2011, 10:59am   #1711
b
beachy10
Member
Yeah, I booked my Paris apt and am going next May. I haven't been in 15 years and am excited to read everyone's suggestions.
Jun 28, 2011, 10:55pm   #1712
nwhite's Avatar
nwhite
Member
I'm going in October for my honeymoon! So excited!
Jun 29, 2011, 3:35am   #1713
Mediana's Avatar
Mediana
~Travelista~
Can anyone recommend any new restaurants in Paris?
Jul 1, 2011, 4:45pm   #1714
ParisInhabitant's Avatar
ParisInhabitant
Member
The restaurant Kong is fun, contemporary, situated under a canopy at the top of a building. The view is amazing.
1 rue du Pont Neuf, 75001.
Jul 1, 2011, 5:32pm   #1715
Mediana's Avatar
Mediana
~Travelista~
Originally Posted by ParisInhabitant
The restaurant Kong is fun, contemporary, situated under a canopy at the top of a building. The view is amazing.
1 rue du Pont Neuf, 75001.

Thanks, the picture of the Carpaccio looks divine.
Jul 14, 2011, 4:40pm   #1716
cfellis522's Avatar
cfellis522
CL Lover
Hi! My DH and kids (one 4 and one 8) are taking a last minute trip to Paris. (DH is having to go over for a day of work and then extending it for us...) His work has rates with the Paris Marriott Rive Gauche Hotel & Conference Center and can stay there real cheap. I have read different things about the hotel and didnt know if anyone here had any experiences with it. I know it is a bit out of the way, but being that there are 2 kids and 2 adults, they have a family room and are near both the metro and the ReR. Also, this is our first time there, so is it easier to get to the hotel via Taxi or Metro from the rail station (we are coming in from London via Eurostar since that is where DH will be coming in from and the kids get to ride the train).

Caroline
Jul 15, 2011, 6:05am   #1717
na294's Avatar
na294
Member
Originally Posted by cfellis522
Hi! My DH and kids (one 4 and one 8) are taking a last minute trip to Paris. (DH is having to go over for a day of work and then extending it for us...) His work has rates with the Paris Marriott Rive Gauche Hotel & Conference Center and can stay there real cheap. I have read different things about the hotel and didnt know if anyone here had any experiences with it. I know it is a bit out of the way, but being that there are 2 kids and 2 adults, they have a family room and are near both the metro and the ReR. Also, this is our first time there, so is it easier to get to the hotel via Taxi or Metro from the rail station (we are coming in from London via Eurostar since that is where DH will be coming in from and the kids get to ride the train).

Caroline
Hi
If you're coming with 2 kids, 2 adults and its your first time and you have bags I would recommend a taxi from the train station.
Jul 17, 2011, 12:45am   #1718
J
Jantao16
Member
I'm planning a trip to Paris in January with my hubby and our almost 2 y/o daughter. It's our first time to Paris (not exactly my hubby's first, he last went when he was a kid) and we are wondering if January is a good time to go, being winter and all? I really want to make it for the sales which, the dates have not been released yet? Also, we are hoping to go over to Switzerland for a few days, is Ryan Air our best bet? Thanks in advance!
I'm giddy with excitment just reading all the posts, haha
Jul 17, 2011, 5:04pm   #1719
slky's Avatar
slky
Member
Originally Posted by Jantao16
I'm planning a trip to Paris in January with my hubby and our almost 2 y/o daughter. It's our first time to Paris (not exactly my hubby's first, he last went when he was a kid) and we are wondering if January is a good time to go, being winter and all? I really want to make it for the sales which, the dates have not been released yet? Also, we are hoping to go over to Switzerland for a few days, is Ryan Air our best bet? Thanks in advance!
I'm giddy with excitment just reading all the posts, haha
Honestly, I don't think January is the best time of the year for visiting Paris if you've never been before. The weather is always cold and wet, nothing is in bloom and many of the Christmas lights will likely be gone by then (as well as the Christmas markets). I'd say that April - October are the best months to go. However you might get lucky and catch a sunny day and despite the potential rain/snow/cold there should be enough museums and places to wander. The sales are usually on starting mid January, so don't go too early in the month.

I don't recall RyanAir flying to Switzerland from Paris, but I could be wrong. I wouldn't recommend it regardless, as you'd be flying out from Beauvais, which is a 90-120 min drive from Paris (you'd need to take a bus or drive). Either go with a regular commercial flight (Air France, Swissair etc.) or take Easyjet, which flies to places like Geneva. You could even look into trains if you don't mind the journey.
Jul 17, 2011, 11:10pm   #1720
J
Jantao16
Member
Thanks for your reply! We are from Canada so the cold is something I'm sure we can handle, haha But will definitely look into commercial flights or train as I thought Ryan Air covered Switzerland too!
Jul 18, 2011, 2:57pm   #1721
na294's Avatar
na294
Member
Originally Posted by Jantao16
Thanks for your reply! We are from Canada so the cold is something I'm sure we can handle, haha But will definitely look into commercial flights or train as I thought Ryan Air covered Switzerland too!
I also discourage any flights out of Beauvais (Ryan Air). It really is quite a trek from the city center. You can get many low cost flights out of Orly or Charles de Gaulle. But you should try to get train tickets, its about three hours and the trains are nice.

Also, I grew up in Chicago so I too am used to the cold but be warned that the winter in Paris the past winters have been particularly harsh. Since they don't have the infrastructure here (snowplows) to deal with snow when there is even two centimeters the city really slows down and flights have major delays. The eiffel tower also closes in the event of snow.

That being said its totally doable just pack a good winter coat and the airfare is cheap in January.
Jul 18, 2011, 3:47pm   #1722
sonya's Avatar
sonya
Member
^I agree the train is nicer, but one thing to keep in mind is that the train can be more expensive than planes. So definitely look up the prices of plane tickets verses train tickets.

If you do take Ryanair, the easiest way to get to the airport is on the Ryanair bus that departs from Porte Maillot (there is a metro station there), the bus times are coordinated with flight times, 2.5 hours before each flight. I believe it is around 8-10 Euros each way. The ride is 80 minutes.

I personally would take Ryanair only if the ticket is very very cheap.
Jul 18, 2011, 5:02pm   #1723
J
Jantao16
Member
Na: I took your advice and researched on trains, it is a better idea plus it brings me straight to where I wanna go (hubby wants to go mount titlis!) However, I've been looking out for airfares, ain't that cheap in January - almost 900 whereas in Sept is only 600 tops!
Sonya: Thanks for replying too :) Any advice is welcomed!
Jul 19, 2011, 6:14am   #1724
Mediana's Avatar
Mediana
~Travelista~
Originally Posted by Jantao16
Na: I took your advice and researched on trains, it is a better idea plus it brings me straight to where I wanna go (hubby wants to go mount titlis!) However, I've been looking out for airfares, ain't that cheap in January - almost 900 whereas in Sept is only 600 tops!
Sonya: Thanks for replying too :) Any advice is welcomed!

It usually depends on when you go in january. After 15 Jan is should be cheaper. It's the holidays that make the price higher.
Jul 19, 2011, 11:08am   #1725
J
Jantao16
Member
Originally Posted by Mediana
It usually depends on when you go in january. After 15 Jan is should be cheaper. It's the holidays that make the price higher.
I'm actually leaving on e 17th but it's still pretty steep. Perhaps that's e range for Jan?
POST A REPLY
  HOME > >  
TOP

Thread Tools