Visit our 2014 Holiday Gift Guides
Home > >

Italia! All things all Italy!

POST A REPLY

Apr 4, 2008, 10:22pm   #46
IntlSet
Bonjour!
Hi ladies,

I have no experience with tipping in the Italy.... the last time I was in Europe, I stayed in a rented villa in France for a month so I did not really have anyone to tip...

Is leaving 2 or 3 euro, daily, too stingy?

Thanks!

Editted to add... we are staying at a nicer hotel by the Trevi Fountain in Rome... if that makes a difference.
Last edited Apr 4, 2008 at 10:27pm.
Apr 4, 2008, 11:33pm   #47
Swanky Mama Of Three
Originally Posted by IntlSet
Are you taking the kids? That will be so fun! Where are you staying? I know wish we were going in May so we could get a bit of warmer weather.
no way! LOL!
This time we'll be @ the Excelsior. . I have mixed feelings about that. Last time we stayed at ST. Regis and it was magnificent!
When are you going Annie? Where are you staying?
Apr 4, 2008, 11:46pm   #48
IntlSet
Bonjour!
^^^
Going the weekend after next... Staying at the Dei Borgognoni near the Trevi Fountain! I've heard mostly good things and at any rate, if it's terrible we won't be in the room much anyway!
Apr 5, 2008, 7:08pm   #49
bnjj
♪ Jovi Junkie ♪
This may help:

http://www.tours-italy.com/italy-abo...ping_italy.htm
Apr 6, 2008, 7:27am   #50
Mediana
~Travelista~
2-3 euro is absolutly not stingy, more the opposite.
Apr 6, 2008, 11:29am   #51
Velouria
Italian shopaholic
We don't have the habit of tipping the cleaning staff in a hotel in Italy, so they might even leave the money on the table unless you tip them directly.
Apr 6, 2008, 12:42pm   #52
r
ricky11
so excited for everyone visiting italy! i lived in rome for a semester in college and have visited a few times already this year. if anyone has any questions, i love giving my two cents! as for the itinerary...

Rome- eat in Trastevere. every night. the restaurants here aren't the fanciest, but this is where roman people actually live and eat. the food is great everywhere in this area and reasonably priced. it is not a touristy part of the city. after dinner, walk around and visit piazza santa maria in trastevere for a gelato. my favorite museum ever is the galleria borghese. beautiful collection of bernini statues. if you are visiting the colosseum, buy your ticket at the palatine hill ticket office. these two are combined, but no one will tell you that. the ticket office is just uphill of the arch of titus in the forum. that is the single arch. it will cut about an hour wait at the colosseum because the long line there is for tickets, not the actual entrance. major shopping is all around the spanish steps and via dei condotti. because the dollar is so weak, you won't find any great prices but it's fun anyway. for nightlife, if you want to get crazy, go to testaccio. it's a little area of the city with lots of clubs. places there stay open all night while the rest of the city closes down at 2am. i could go on and on about rome....

vence- i really recommend the peggy guggenheim collection if you are at all interested in modern art. it is in a beautiful area of the city which is a nice break from the tourist crowds everywhere else.

tuscany- the outlets are about a half hour outside of florence. i haven't been there since 2005, but there were definitely some good deals. the prada outlet and the dolce and gabbana outlet are not at "the mall" where the others (gucci, fendi, YSL, ferragamo, marni, etc.) are. if you have a day and would like to go, it's really fun and accessible by train (and a short cab ride) from florence.

florence- the best gelato is at Vestri on Borgo Albizi. my favorite dinner was at a place called La Maremma (Via Giuseppe Verdi, near Santa Croce). i only had a few days there, so i don't know much else to recommend.
Apr 6, 2008, 4:03pm   #53
c
carolynscheiber
Your trip looks good for a first timer-overview.
About Venice--Since your time is so limited skip Burano.
You get a great free boat tour just riding on the 1 or 82 vaporetto.
Venice is notorious for tourist trap-restaurants and shopping. It can also be the most magical and romantic place on earth. Most fun--getting lost! Our favorite restaurants--http://www.fiaschetteriatoscana.it and al Paradiso. Make reservations!
Apr 6, 2008, 7:45pm   #54
lovekoobabags
Balified
wow..I just revisited this thread after my original posting and i have to go back and answer a few ?'s here....just give me a few minutes....WOW THANK YOU SO MUCH!! And I have some more questions too!!
Apr 6, 2008, 7:48pm   #55
lovekoobabags
Balified
Originally Posted by [coco]
Hey there

I fly home (to Milan!) every few years or so...
I only ever really travel north to Treviso and Venice. If you can spend some time in Treviso (immediately outside Venice... you will have to catch a train from Treviso to get to Venice) then do!! It is beautiful there... so many boutiques and galeries in this area - in Venice too. Venice is extremely $$$ but so beautiful lucky you!!

In Tuscany i believe there is a Gucci and Fendi outlet... let me check on that. It might be Florence... very very very cheap gucci... like Less than 50%!!

Good gelato is everywhere - everywhere!! And drink chocolato caldo as often as possible - trust me!!
Since this is my first time, I'm not sure about distances/times from place to place...the only real time we'll have for major exploration is in Rome at the end of the trip.
I'd love to check out that Gucci outlet!!

Writing down drink chocolato caldo...thank you...
Apr 6, 2008, 7:51pm   #56
lovekoobabags
Balified
Originally Posted by rachieface
What an amazing trip you will be going on! Congrats!

I was lucky enough tobe able to visit Italy last summer. We stayed on an island called Ischia which is off of Naples (and close to Capri). Ischia is known for its thermal spas and beaches so it was absolutely beautiful. I am pretty sure you won't be getting on over there, but if you do, check out Negombo Spa. My favorite!

Capri is just so breathtaking, it's unreal. And it has amazing shopping! LV, and Gucci and Tod's, etc. Everything is full price though so if you go other places where you can get a discount, definitely shop there first.

When we were in Capri we ate at this cute little restaurant called La Capannina http://www.capannina-capri.com/ The food was so good and the staff was friendly and encouraging. You really don't find unfriendly people in Italy, period.

Also, I don't think I stumbled upon ANY bad gelato (and we ate tons!). Jus relax and enjoy yourself and you should find everything you are looking for. Let us know how it goes!
Thank you for recommending Capannina...I'm going to try to go there!
I heard Capri was just amazing. I would love to do some serious shopping but the trip will is so expensive already. And I don't know if it makes sense to buy something over there - if you can buy it over here where the dollar is better?
I always wondered about this. My neighbors told me abou Ischia...and I would love to go there one day. I hope we can go back. We leave in a few weeks!! So excited :)
Apr 6, 2008, 8:01pm   #57
lovekoobabags
Balified
HI...
Originally Posted by elizabethk
Rome / Vatican city!

I am going in September.

What are your hotels in Roma, Firenze and Venizia, & Capri and I can help more…

Rome (beginning) Jolly Villa Carpegna
Capri (La Palma)
Assisi (Grand Hotel Assisi)
Venice (Plaza - at piazzale stazione)
Montecatini (Settentrionale Esplanade)
Rome (end of our trip) Visconti Palace!

Also e mail jimleniart@nyc.rr.com He owns RED MAPS…
Get one for the first 3 maybe 8 bucks each and they will give you what you need in each city we could not have done these cities without them...
Shopping, hotels, things to see, directions, metro stops, etc etc...

^^ Email him for maps of places of interest, shopping, etc? Do they sell them in Italy also?

Take shoes you can destroy as Venice and Florence will; rain or no rain... do in any shoe not from REI especially in MAR with the rain and years of soot.

^^Haha I plan on bringing non-stylish shoes. Lots of walking I Heard.

When in Venice remember Harrys Bar / Cipriani requires pants below the knees or they will throw you out!!! But you must have a Bellini...
EAT @ Al ponte Del Megio 041 719 777 it was absolutely amazing it's in a residential area not expensive and the best hand made gnocchi I've had!

^^Writing these down!! thank you!

YOUR:
Day 3: Rome-->Pompeii then onto Sorrento in the afternoon to stroll around and shop. Then onto a boat to the Isle of Capri.
[/b]
This day seems way too packed.... Rome to Pompeii is 3 hrs easy... then to Sorrento??? Another 90 min if you are lucky with traffic... If you can get to the Hotel Grand Vittora for lunch its 4 blocks from the train it is a must...

^Yeah, sounds like a jam-packed day with an early start. Hopefully, we'll have enough time to walk around Sorrento. I'm fascinated with the Amalfi coast.
Thanks for that recommendation also

Are you in CAPRI or ANACAPRI? If your hotel has no pool go here
http://www.lacanzonedelmare.com/en/stabilimento It’s a must as it has been around since Jackie O and the jet set called it their summer home… Slim Arrons has books on it…

We're going to Capri and staying at La Palma

If money is not an object book a helicopter from Sorrento for a tour of the coast see Positano and Amalfi that side of the jut, is more scenic....

oh that sounds awesome .. I don't think we'll have enough time... we have LOADS of extra time in Rome though...

For other shopping go here

http://www.fashiontraveler.com/stores-in/italy/
All cities all stores all addresses!

Most of ROME is closed SUN, MON keep that in mind...

You can walk Venice in flats in one day, make sure to see the Guggenheim Collection.... It's a can't miss...
Skip the islands as they charge you to leave, and you can get what they make there on the main island...

Really want to buy laces for my dressers and night stands...the ones handed down to me are ratty looking now. I heard I can buy them on the mainland as well.

You will get lost don't fret just enjoy it as you always find a way back it's very small like Manhattan from Houston to Battery...

Lastly ship it all home from ROME before you fly the $$$ spent you will save in time and struggle packing and in the customs lines possibly explaining....
We always use DHL never a problem and just say you were there for a family funeral...

Where can you ship these times? Is there a DHL store in Rome? So you are saying they don't investigate and charge you extra for duty? also, do they do a good job packing fragile items? What kinds of things did you bring home? What if you buy a painting or something that you want to insure? I'm interesting also in hearing more about bringing/ shipping things home with me...

Good luck!
Apr 6, 2008, 8:07pm   #58
lovekoobabags
Balified
Originally Posted by ItalianFashion
If you are going to venice check out the beach nearby called Lido di Jesolo. Take the road like you are going to the airport and follow the signs to Jesolo. Very pretty and great shopping! FYI This beach you can take off your top

I have only been to the clubs in vicenza 45 min from Venice. Best ones are Palladium and Villa Bonin and Crazy Bull. Hopefully they will have opened the clubs outdoors by the time you go. In summer they move the clubs outside. They have a big tent with dj at most places. Music is usually techno or american hip hop at the ones I have been to. They stay open till usually 4 or 5 am and still serve alcohol.

In venice you can bargain for prices in the touristy shops and for rides on the gondolas. The items are usually overpriced in venice. Remember quanto costa (How much is this). Most restaurants and cafes and ice cream shops charge a fee of 1-2 euro to sit down in the restaraunt or cafe. Tipping is not expected but some appreciate it others look at you like you are crazy. Keep your receipts when you pay for food or other items. Financial police occasionaly stop and ask when leaving a place and impose fines if you do not have it.

Wow! I will hold all receipts! Good advice!

Tuscany check out the outlets Gucci YSL fendi Burberry etc... and buy wine here to take home.
http://www.intuscany.net/guides/the_mall.htm

DH and I are HUGE wine fans. I'm wondering if we should buy wine to take home...maybe they can be bought in the US as well...

Rome: We stayed at hotel smeraldo near piazza venezia to be close to alot o places but it is impossible to walk all of these places in Rome. We ended up taking cabs to and from places. They charged us 5 euro each time. You can bargain on prices for cabs. We went to Vatican Pantheon collosseum and some ruins not sure lol. When we were there the pope we could not get into sistine chapel they said it closes at 12:00. So check this before going. Also they said pope comes out early on wednesdays to speak.
How do you bargain ? In the beginning of the ride? Is it like NY with a running meter or a flat-rate price you agree upon before entering the cab?
Apr 6, 2008, 8:08pm   #59
lovekoobabags
Balified
Originally Posted by Vida from Milan
The weather is really strange in these days...It's hot and sunny now...and then the next day boots&scarf...just look for temperatures on www.ilmeteo.it some days before leaving!!!

I'm sorry you won't come to Milan, I could be a shopping guide for you!!!
Hope to meet some tPF members here in Milan soon (see tPF meetings: Via Montenapoleone!!!)

Have a nice trip!!!
thank you!
Apr 6, 2008, 8:09pm   #60
lovekoobabags
Balified
Originally Posted by maryg1
It's a very very long journey! When in Ravenna, are you going to visit the whole city or the church in Classe only?
Hmmm...it says a "scenic drive to Ravenna" to see the Basilica then onto Venice.
I don't think they'll be a lot of time there.
POST A REPLY
  HOME > >