Visit our 2014 Holiday Gift Guides
Home > >

Quilters Club!!

POST A REPLY

Jan 25, 2010, 9:23pm   #46
Hessefan
Originally Posted by thespianmonsalv
I know that some fabric lines are made in 108" wide, so that would be perfect for backing for a lot of quilts. Most online fabric stores have them.
Thanks for the tip, didn't know that and already found it at my fave fabric shop online!
Feb 2, 2010, 1:01am   #47
madamefifi
cat hoarder
Hessefan, I make pieced backings to use up scraps and also because I just like the way they look. You can also sew together several large pieces of the same fabric for backing, you don't need just one whole piece.
Jun 27, 2010, 9:46am   #48
k2sealer
I only wear live fur
I also posted this in the sewing thread.

Here is the quilt I just finished for my 8 year old DS. It was a kit I got at Sew Expo in Puyallup. I pieced the top and did the binding. My Mom did the quilting. She used a white thread in the bobbin so you can really see the quilting on the back. See the 3rd pic for a good example. You can see the outline of the space shuttle before launch.
Attached Images

Dec 24, 2012, 11:09pm   #49
madamefifi
cat hoarder
Bumping this elderly thread--where are all the quilters??--because I finally finished the queen-sized quilt I started in the 90s! The pattern is called "Chimney Sweep". I have really gotten back into quilting lately. Let's revive this thread!
Attached Images

Jan 30, 2013, 11:50am   #50
melanie789611
<3 Mulberry
Originally Posted by madamefifi
Bumping this elderly thread--where are all the quilters??--because I finally finished the queen-sized quilt I started in the 90s! The pattern is called "Chimney Sweep". I have really gotten back into quilting lately. Let's revive this thread!
This is so lovely!!
Jan 30, 2013, 11:55am   #51
melanie789611
<3 Mulberry
This is my first one, I'm doing it by hand and I've never done anything like this before, I'm really pleased with how it's going, it's inside out at the minute as I'm doing the sides. It's not for a full length bed I was thinking more of a throw or something while I'm sat on the sofa :)
Attached Images

Jan 30, 2013, 8:34pm   #52
madamefifi
cat hoarder
I love those colors! Hand-quilting, wow--I do not have the patience! I hate to even sew binding by hand.
Mar 22, 2013, 2:59pm   #53
luvsagreatdeal
I too would really like to start quilting as well! The one project Im interested in is taking all of my son's old basketball and soccer uniforms and making a "memory" type quilt before he graduates from highschool.

Has anyone quilted anything like this?
Mar 25, 2013, 12:45pm   #54
k2sealer
I only wear live fur
Originally Posted by luvsagreatdeal
I too would really like to start quilting as well! The one project Im interested in is taking all of my son's old basketball and soccer uniforms and making a "memory" type quilt before he graduates from highschool.

Has anyone quilted anything like this?
I haven't done one. But I know you need to use a good stabilizer if you are using knit shirts (t-shirts).
Apr 28, 2013, 12:36pm   #55
k2sealer
I only wear live fur
I did a quilt retreat last weekend and was able to finish three quilt tops. No, I'm not that fast. I prepped for the retreat over about four months. I had all the blocks for all three tops completed before I started the retreat. So I only had to assemble the blocks and add the borders.

First top is a jelly roll call Mod Century. It is going to get a cream colored flannel backing. I went with a lighter backing for this quilt because I wanted it to be a summer weight quilt.

Next is Wooden Spools. A kit from Connecting Threads, which is my favorite online fabric store. They sell great kits with good fabric for about the least expensive price I have seen anywhere. This will get a black minky fabric for the backing.

Lastly is Wrenches, another kit from Connecting Threads. My DH and DS are fighting over who will claim this quilt. I wasn't in love with this pattern while I was making it because they have you make umpteen half square triangle, so it took forever. When they could have written the pattern so you make X amount of flying geese of various color combinations. If I ever make this pattern again I will redraft it with Electronic Quilter program so it has flying geese instead of half square triangles. This quilt will get a charcoal colored minky backing.

All the minky fabrics I use are the non bumpy minkys. I made one quilt with the bumpy minky and I don't like it. If I don't wear socks to bed, I can feel the bumps through the sheet and it bugs me. I swear I'm not a princess though.
Attached Images

Apr 28, 2013, 1:47pm   #56
Hessefan
Originally Posted by k2sealer
I did a quilt retreat last weekend and was able to finish three quilt tops. No, I'm not that fast. I prepped for the retreat over about four months. I had all the blocks for all three tops completed before I started the retreat. So I only had to assemble the blocks and add the borders.

First top is a jelly roll call Mod Century. It is going to get a cream colored flannel backing. I went with a lighter backing for this quilt because I wanted it to be a summer weight quilt.

Next is Wooden Spools. A kit from Connecting Threads, which is my favorite online fabric store. They sell great kits with good fabric for about the least expensive price I have seen anywhere. This will get a black minky fabric for the backing.

Lastly is Wrenches, another kit from Connecting Threads. My DH and DS are fighting over who will claim this quilt. I wasn't in love with this pattern while I was making it because they have you make umpteen half square triangle, so it took forever. When they could have written the pattern so you make X amount of flying geese of various color combinations. If I ever make this pattern again I will redraft it with Electronic Quilter program so it has flying geese instead of half square triangles. This quilt will get a charcoal colored minky backing.

All the minky fabrics I use are the non bumpy minkys. I made one quilt with the bumpy minky and I don't like it. If I don't wear socks to bed, I can feel the bumps through the sheet and it bugs me. I swear I'm not a princess though.
They are lovely! I'd be fighting over them too if I was in your family :)
May 14, 2013, 5:15pm   #57
B
Bratty1919
I only have one quilt that I can say I did on my own- with a treadle sewing machine, lol. It was my senior home ec project. I will post pics soon :)
POST A REPLY
  HOME > >