Visit our 2014 Holiday Gift Guides
Home > >

Does anyone out there make their own jewelry?

POST A REPLY
 
Thread Tools
Feb 26, 2012, 8:33am   #1726
TheDesignerGirl's Avatar
TheDesignerGirl
Member
Does anyone sell their jewellery at craft fairs/school fairs?

I generally do wedding jewellery from the shop I work in, and have been offered stocking in bridal shops (but have turned them down so far). I've done jewellery parties and I'm starting an art gallery workshop next month

I did set up an etsy shop but closed it after two weeks as it just seemed too complicated and I hate not being able to communicate face to face with my buyers to show them different ideas. There was too much emphasis on writing policies imo which made me nervous since it's not something I know a lot about.

I had a lady asking me if I'd be interested in a stall on a fair but I don't currently hold 'stock', I just have a lot of stuff I made for myself and as demo pieces. Do people spend enough at small fairs to even cover the cost of transport and a table? Really not sure if it would be worth it, and I'd be so let down if I made loads of stock which didn't sell :/
Mar 6, 2012, 11:01am   #1727
ILuvShopping's Avatar
ILuvShopping
★☆★★☆★★☆★
i LOVE doing craft fairs and school and churches. i do my best there and they're typically the least expensive than when other groups put one together.
and it really depends on the price of getting a table/booth. My ideal price is about $30. And you also want to have stuff that is different prices. maybe some stuff that's really inexpensive... a few pieces that are expensive... you really never know what people will buy.

For about a year I had some necklaces that I had priced at about $25-35 and they sat and sat.. then I did a church show in oct last year and i sold 3-4 of them. if you have something that is different and unique - people will buy.

i was just going to come in here and whine about one that i want to be in lol
there's one at the end of april that i would really like to sell at but they are limiting their amount of jewelry vendors to 4. i said i have other stuff that would add variety but they just felt it wouldn't be fair to their other jewelry vendors to also let me sell my jewelry. so i had to pass on a table completely all together. kind of a bum deal cause i was really hoping to find a couple spring shows to do. but oh well! i asked them to put me on their mailing list for next week.
Mar 10, 2012, 10:13am   #1728
oranGetRee's Avatar
oranGetRee
**I am a Vain Pot**
Originally Posted by Threshold
Thank you, oranGetRee. And congratulations! I received the fb message that your "Softly" ring is featured in a curated "Treasury". Soooo pretty! BRAVA!!
Thanks, dear. You are always so supportive and encouraging.
Mar 13, 2012, 11:33am   #1729
ILuvShopping's Avatar
ILuvShopping
★☆★★☆★★☆★
finally ordered my mannequin off ebay so i can take GOOD photos of my necklaces lol
and it only cost me a little over $20!
Mar 18, 2012, 2:08am   #1730
oranGetRee's Avatar
oranGetRee
**I am a Vain Pot**
Originally Posted by ILuvShopping
finally ordered my mannequin off ebay so i can take GOOD photos of my necklaces lol
and it only cost me a little over $20!
that's a great deal!
looking forward to your photos!
Mar 18, 2012, 10:07pm   #1731
ILuvShopping's Avatar
ILuvShopping
★☆★★☆★★☆★
Originally Posted by oranGetRee
that's a great deal!
looking forward to your photos!
it's still in the box because i got it thursday but headed out of town right after work and just got back about 30 min ago (8:30pm-ish). i'm hoping i can bust it out tomorrow after all my normal weekend chores (taking the day off work cause i was on the road for 12 hours today). i'm excited! except i guess i need to find a shirt for it first.... lol
Mar 18, 2012, 10:17pm   #1732
Threshold's Avatar
Threshold
Nothing Like the Sun
Originally Posted by ILuvShopping
it's still in the box because i got it thursday but headed out of town right after work and just got back about 30 min ago (8:30pm-ish). i'm hoping i can bust it out tomorrow after all my normal weekend chores (taking the day off work cause i was on the road for 12 hours today). i'm excited! except i guess i need to find a shirt for it first.... lol
RE the toroso-form needing a shirt: I realized that after I got mine. So I bought it a white t-shirt and a black t-shirt.

The upper torso form works really well for modeling my jewelry (for pics), but I've ordered a full dress form with a pin-able surface so I can design better and more intricately layered and draping necklaces. Can't wait for that delivery! I have all my designs and materials ready to go!!!!
Mar 18, 2012, 10:56pm   #1733
ILuvShopping's Avatar
ILuvShopping
★☆★★☆★★☆★
Originally Posted by Threshold
RE the toroso-form needing a shirt: I realized that after I got mine. So I bought it a white t-shirt and a black t-shirt.

The upper torso form works really well for modeling my jewelry (for pics), but I've ordered a full dress form with a pin-able surface so I can design better and more intricately layered and draping necklaces. Can't wait for that delivery! I have all my designs and materials ready to go!!!!
I almost ordered a torso in my size so it could just wear my tops lol but this one was cheaper. i might ask my friend who's a small if she has a shirt or two she wouldn't mind giving up and maybe a bra too cause the pointy boobs bother me lol
Mar 18, 2012, 11:24pm   #1734
Threshold's Avatar
Threshold
Nothing Like the Sun
Originally Posted by ILuvShopping
I almost ordered a torso in my size so it could just wear my tops lol but this one was cheaper. i might ask my friend who's a small if she has a shirt or two she wouldn't mind giving up and maybe a bra too cause the pointy boobs bother me lol
Moleskin or small band aids
Mar 19, 2012, 6:32pm   #1735
ILuvShopping's Avatar
ILuvShopping
★☆★★☆★★☆★
ohh good idea! haha
Apr 11, 2012, 12:32am   #1736
P
PrincessBailey
Account Deactivated
I make bracelets out of candy wrappers. How do you guys find your supplies for these bracelets?
Apr 11, 2012, 4:04pm   #1737
ILuvShopping's Avatar
ILuvShopping
★☆★★☆★★☆★
Originally Posted by PrincessBailey
I make bracelets out of candy wrappers. How do you guys find your supplies for these bracelets?
hobby lobby, michaels, joanne's fabric, etsy.

that's basically everywhere where i buy mine :)

hobby lobby has jewelry stuff on sale A LOT. like 50% off sales. they switch it up about every 3 weeks. it used to be every other week the same group of stuff was on sale but now it seems to be a 3 week rotation.

michaels you can get 40% off coupons just about every week from their website. hobby lobby also has a 40% off coupon each week for stuff that isn't onsale.

i've also been getting a bunch of joann coupons too and they take competitor coupons. i like joann coupons a lot better because it's usually one coupon per item, not one coupon per transaction (and usually per day) like michaels and hobby lobby.
May 10, 2012, 11:02pm   #1738
Lody's Avatar
Lody
Multi-Crafter
Yes, I do! I even make jewelries for my family and friends. At some point, I challenged myself to finish a piece of jewelry a day --- I ended up with so much that I decided to start selling them.

XXXXXXX
not allowed!
Last edited May 12, 2012 at 12:25am.
May 12, 2012, 10:36pm   #1739
kezza30's Avatar
kezza30
Member
I've wanted to start making jewellery. I love crafting and have been meaning to have a go at making myself some pieces. Just need to order myself some pieces in.
Sep 3, 2012, 10:55pm   #1740
Threshold's Avatar
Threshold
Nothing Like the Sun
I took a little sabbatical from jewelry making, as I was madly designing and purchasing supplies. So, after a few months of brainstorming, sketching, and hunting down the perfect supplies, here are a few recent fun things I've created...


Dia de los Muertos (Day of the Dead) & Milagros Cuff

For the upcoming October/November Holiday fun...


Dia de los Muertos Rosey-Eyed Skull
POST A REPLY
  HOME > >  
TOP

Thread Tools