Home The Playground Animalicious!

Cat scratching the TV--help!

POST A REPLY

May 29, 2012, 6:31pm   #1
One of my cats recently started scratching the tv. I don't know what triggered this, but she jumps up onto the stand and will scratch at it until I get up and move her off. At first I thought it was because of something on the screen, but she does this whether it's on, paused or off. As far as I can tell she hasn't damaged it yet, but I'm worried she's going to damage it soon.

Does anyone have any advice? I have a cat tree, scratching post, a million toys etc all in the room with the tv and she doesn't do it to any of the others. I play with her a lot and have another cat who keeps her very entertained too. She is a very active/social breed (Savannah) so I'm not sure if that is part of it, but she's driving me crazy with this!
May 30, 2012, 12:25am   #2
Are you ready Steve?
Maybe something about an electromagnetic field or something?

I have a cat who claws the walls in the hallway.

Who knows? Cats are so weird
May 30, 2012, 1:57am   #3
Murphy's Mama
Is she seeing her reflection, I wonder? Who knows - Savannahs are so smart. Not sure what you can do about it, other than spritz a little Feliway around the area and see if that helps at all...
May 30, 2012, 8:26am   #4
Eeek - it's a mouse!
My cat does this too -- she started doing it within the past year (she's about 9).

No idea why.
May 30, 2012, 11:21am   #5
Well at least I'm not alone. Looks like I just have to keep my fingers crossed that the TV survives
May 30, 2012, 12:28pm   #6
Are you ready Steve?
Poltergeist
May 30, 2012, 4:36pm   #7
couch potato-ing
try using the tape (wide ones in transparant type) and have the sticky side facing you....you might not be able to enjoy wathcing tv for a while...don't take the tape down until your cat gives up scratching the tv....
Jun 19, 2012, 11:00pm   #8
Well I finally figured out why she's scratching the tv (still doing it btw). Turns out she's trying to get on top of it! It's a flat screen and really large so she can't see the top so she stands on her hind legs and scratches it! I probably need to mount it on the wall since she actually jumped on top of it the other day!! She didn't last long on top since it's thin, but now she's convinced she will figure out how to stay on top!
Jun 20, 2012, 9:24am   #9
OUCH! I'd try to mount it on the wall. Not that it would be safe there either for sure. lol How these kitties can jump on tiny thin surfaces and balance is beyond me.
POST A REPLY
  HOME The Playground Animalicious!