Home > >

My dog is eating her blanket...advice

POST A REPLY
 
Thread Tools
Nov 11, 2013, 11:37pm   #1
LoveMyMarc's Avatar
Thread Starter
LoveMyMarc
♥'s MJ, RM, & LV
My dog is eating her blanket and it's showing up in her stool. I have put stuff in her cage to keep her occupied, but it doesn't help much and I don't want her choking on that. I have been looking up "chew proof" beds, but I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this with their dog and what you did to take care of the problem.

Thanks!!
Nov 12, 2013, 10:20am   #2
Candice0985's Avatar
Candice0985
Member
is she stressed out? has anything changed in her daily routine?
Nov 12, 2013, 12:17pm   #3
LoveMyMarc's Avatar
Thread Starter
LoveMyMarc
♥'s MJ, RM, & LV
Originally Posted by Candice0985
is she stressed out? has anything changed in her daily routine?

No, she has been doing this for over a month now. Her routine is pretty much the same.
Nov 12, 2013, 1:53pm   #4
bagnshoofetish's Avatar
bagnshoofetish
Stomp & Chomp
Does she have chew toys?
Nov 12, 2013, 11:37pm   #5
LoveMyMarc's Avatar
Thread Starter
LoveMyMarc
♥'s MJ, RM, & LV
Originally Posted by bagnshoofetish
Does she have chew toys?
Of course.
Nov 13, 2013, 12:59pm   #6
bagnshoofetish's Avatar
bagnshoofetish
Stomp & Chomp
Originally Posted by LoveMyMarc
Of course.
Sorry. Had to ask. Just trying to help. Gotta' eliminate all possibilities.

Has she had a dental check up lately?

(oh and I hope you have taken the blanket away)
Nov 13, 2013, 2:06pm   #7
b
boxermomof2
Member
Have you considered a kuranda bed?
http://kuranda.com/dog-beds/dog-crate-bed
It's perfect for dogs who chew fabric beds. My dogs think it's rather comfy. I don't have it in their crate, but I have one in my office, and they will choose that over a hard floor.
Nov 13, 2013, 7:41pm   #8
LoveMyMarc's Avatar
Thread Starter
LoveMyMarc
♥'s MJ, RM, & LV
Originally Posted by bagnshoofetish
Sorry. Had to ask. Just trying to help. Gotta' eliminate all possibilities.

Has she had a dental check up lately?

(oh and I hope you have taken the blanket away)
Yes, I have taken the blanket away. I feel bad for her not having one though...

She just had a check up and everything was normal besides her feet (that's another story).
Last edited Nov 13, 2013 at 7:47pm.
Nov 13, 2013, 7:48pm   #9
LoveMyMarc's Avatar
Thread Starter
LoveMyMarc
♥'s MJ, RM, & LV
Originally Posted by boxermomof2
Have you considered a kuranda bed?
http://kuranda.com/dog-beds/dog-crate-bed
It's perfect for dogs who chew fabric beds. My dogs think it's rather comfy. I don't have it in their crate, but I have one in my office, and they will choose that over a hard floor.
I found a site that sells beds like that. We have been looking at them.
Nov 13, 2013, 11:27pm   #10
bagnshoofetish's Avatar
bagnshoofetish
Stomp & Chomp
Maybe something smelled good on the blanket.

When you said you put stuff in her "cage" do you mean she is kept in a cage for long periods of time? If so, she may be chewing the blanket from stress. Dogs need lots of exercise and ways to burn off energy so chewing the blanket may have been a way of releasing that energy if she was in a cage.
Nov 14, 2013, 6:35am   #11
b
boxermomof2
Member
Originally Posted by LoveMyMarc
Yes, I have taken the blanket away. I feel bad for her not having one though...

She just had a check up and everything was normal besides her feet (that's another story).
Don't feel too bad, they really don't need it, and the alternative to not taking away could lead to a fatal outcome.
My vet displays a video in his waiting room of a surgery he did to remove a sock from a dog's intestine. You're lucky the pieces are moving out without any problems because an intestinal blockage is painful for the dog and expensive for the dog owner.
Nov 18, 2013, 11:04am   #12
LoveMyMarc's Avatar
Thread Starter
LoveMyMarc
♥'s MJ, RM, & LV
Originally Posted by boxermomof2
Don't feel too bad, they really don't need it, and the alternative to not taking away could lead to a fatal outcome.
My vet displays a video in his waiting room of a surgery he did to remove a sock from a dog's intestine. You're lucky the pieces are moving out without any problems because an intestinal blockage is painful for the dog and expensive for the dog owner.
Yes, I am glad that they're passing. I want to avoid a vet visit if I can.


I ordered the bed that is chew proof...hopefully that works!
Nov 30, 2013, 12:02am   #13
F
FrodofromAus
Member
Sometimes chewing can be a sign or boredom or stress. If it happens whilst your out of home perhaps you could consider leaving a kong packed with nibbles. Distraction.
POST A REPLY
  HOME > >  
TOP

Thread Tools