Visit our 2014 Holiday Gift Guides
Home > >

Dog Adoption Home Visit

POST A REPLY

Nov 21, 2009, 10:38am   #1
stephc005
what is to be expected during a home visit?

i saw a dog from a rescue that i would love to adopt; however, i have not submitted an adoption application because i'm worried that we will be rejected during the home visit.

i'm looking to adopt a GSD and am worried that our home may be a little too cluttered right now for a GSD. ever since my sister moved back after college, all her stuff and boxes have been sitting around in our living room, and we don't have anywhere else to put everything. we're also planning to start remodeling our home- put in hardwood floors, new kitchen, new furniture, bathroom remodeling.

would it be better to just wait till all our home projects are finished or do these things not really matter much?

i'd hate to wait because this dog seems so right for us, but i'm afraid if we get rejected once, this rescue will never let us adopt any dog from them.
Nov 21, 2009, 12:59pm   #2
zoesma
NICE KITTY
I would do the home visit esp if u found a dog you really love.....is there anywhere u can move your sisters stuff like a small storage unit or in your garage?? i wouldnt let the remodel hold you back either....
let the rescue know that the stuff that belongs to your sister (if u cannot move it) will not be there forever...
good luck!!!
i have a white GSD and she is a love!!! you will have such a great time with a great dog!! they are one of the best breeds....the most loyal and loving
Nov 21, 2009, 2:55pm   #3
balena
Individual rescues may look for specific things in a home check but I wouldn't worry so much if your place is a bit cluttered right now. Often times, I think it's a basic verification that you live where you say live; if there is a yard, that the fencing is secure.

If your re-modeling plans do come up in conversation, the rescue may ask how you plan on containing the dog when there will be work done on the house and work people coming in and out all the time (i.e. will you be crating or putting the dog in an outdoor kennel). It's quite common for dogs to get out when people are working on the house because it's an easy mistake to leave a door or back gate open by accident.
Nov 21, 2009, 3:04pm   #4
stephc005
thanks for the replies. does anyone know if home visits usually check every part of the house? i assumed they'd go through all the rooms (since the dog will most likely wander through all the rooms).

zoesma- i've been dying to get a GSD for those exact reasons- their loyal, loving, and intelligent personalities.
Nov 21, 2009, 4:59pm   #5
balena
I'm not sure if they look at every room in the house, I know people who have done home checks and they really concentrate on the outside areas like the yard as I mentioned earlier.

Is this a GSD-specific rescue? Just start talking to them and fill out an application. I've looked for dogs through rescues before (but wound up adopting from a municipal shelter) and I know people who work in rescue. They often make their placement decisions based on your prior dog-owning experience and it's all about the conversations that you have with them. They're not interested in what kind of furniture you have or what's in your cabinets
Nov 21, 2009, 6:35pm   #6
Green Zebra
love to nap
We had a home visit before we adopted Maddie...the interviewer brought his own dog (perhaps to see how we react with him). I got the feeling he just wanted to get a feel for DH and I...he asked questions such as "what is the nearest emergency vet?" (luckily, I knew the answer!)...and if we had any experience with the breed we were planning on adopting (we did). We do not have a fenced in yard, but that didn't seem to be a problem, as we intended to walk the dog daily.

He briefly went through most of the rooms in our home. Seemed to notice our stairs are carpeted (some dogs would have a problem with slippery stairs)...I'm sure he was happy we did not have any dog unfriendly items around. (He mentioned a home he visited that had prescription drug bottle lying all around...needless to say the home was not approved)

Clutter? I'm not sure it will matter unless it is dangerous to your future dog. However, I would straighten up as much as I could...just in case...

Good luck!!! I hope you get your forever dog!!!
Nov 21, 2009, 7:18pm   #7
stephc005
thanks so much for the replies.

balena- yes it is a GSD specific rescue. do you think it'll make them more picky in a way?

green zebra- luckily there isn't anything dangerous; i just wanted to be sure they wouldn't say we don't have enough space for a GSD.
Nov 21, 2009, 7:59pm   #8
balena
Picky could be one way to look at it - but it's also really great to work with breed specific rescues because they usually are more knowledgeable about specific issues within that breed They won't place a "difficult" dog in a home with less experience, and they will work with you to find the right match in terms of the dog's temperament and energy level and your household/schedule/lifestyle.

They will probably want to know how much research you've done on GSDs; what you plan on doing to ensure the dog has the proper exercise, training and mental stimulation; awareness of common health issues (hip displaysia is pretty common in the breed); how well you understand the general breed traits and things like that.

The homecheck is usually at the tail end of the interview process. Space isn't that big of a deal - they care more about how you will incorporate exercise and things like that into your schedule than the size of your home.

When we were looking to adopt, we spent a lot of time looking on websites at available dogs – looks do matter but it's really about that connection when you meet the dog in person. We wound up spending weekends driving to shelters and rescue events to see dogs in person before we found our dog. Initially, I had one or two breeds in mind but decided against trying for them because they would not have been a good fit for our lifestyle.

Good luck!
Last edited Nov 21, 2009 at 8:00pm. Reason: missed word
Nov 21, 2009, 9:15pm   #9
stephc005
thank you!

i just submitted the adoption application- so hopefully i will be approved. no matter what, i'll definitely do my best to make this the best home for any future pet.
Nov 21, 2009, 9:22pm   #10
Brooke11
polisher
^^ yay! I agree with others -- it doesn't matter if your house is a little cluttered. They will be looking for fenced in yard, other well-cared for pets, safety features, etc. Best of luck!
Nov 21, 2009, 11:12pm   #11
dmitchell15
Before you get a German Shepherd, please look up the breed. They need a lot of work, attention, and exercise. Look up all breeds before adopting. Also, make sure that all family members are present when interacting with the dog. I have personally, never had to worry about home visits,but I do know that they will be looking to make sure you have adequate yard space. Do you have a fence in yard? Will the dog be in an apartment. I can tell you now, if you have an apartment,it is very likely they will reject your adoption because of lack of space. I have adopted enough dogs in my lifetime, and that is always a question they ask when I have gotten large dogs from the shelter.
Nov 21, 2009, 11:54pm   #12
zoesma
NICE KITTY
yay!! good luck!!!
the one thing i can tell you about GSDs is that they are VERY family oriented and want to be with the family ALL the time....they get very upset when seperated from their family and can be wary of strangers....even if you invite someone to your home they will be friendly but to a point...they are not the type of dog who will fall in love with your friends and family that dont live with you as a family unit.....not overly friendly and can seem standofish with others not in their family unit...and they are very protective and loyal of the ones they love....beauty (my gsd) keeps me in her sights at all times...even to go to the bathroom (which can be kind of annoying...LOL)....also they must be kept mentally stimulated and are very intelligent dogs....and be prepared for lots of shedding!!!
all in all the GSD is a wonderful dog and you cannot go wrong in adopting one....mine is white and they have a slightly different tempermant than the traditional black and tan....they tend to be less aggressive and more gentle for some reason then the black and tans...i dont know why that is but it is a fact.....the whites also talk up a storm!!! beauty has been a talker since she was a puppy and you should hear all the whining and crying when my husband comes home...as if she hasnt seen him for years!!....lol
here is a pic of my beauty......good luck and keep us posted!!!
all in all you have picked a wonderful breed....if you have kids as well GSDs are wonderful with families!!!

Nov 22, 2009, 9:50am   #13
Cindi
My baby, Bellis
I do home visits for a Greyhound adoption group and I can tell you I would MUCH rather see a bit of clutter than a home where everything is perfect. People that need everything to be perfect do not need a dog. A dog is a lot of work. They need to be trained. Some of them will chew or display other destructive behavior. I like to bring the dog to the house to let the adopter see how they feel when the dog is actually there. I have had people say the dog seems much bigger now that they are actually in their home and change their minds. Better before than after they have been there a month or more. I just check to see if there are any obvious safety issues and answer questions. Try not to worry too much. The adoption rep will be more interested to see what type of person you are than how neat your home is.
Nov 22, 2009, 10:54am   #14
stephc005
thanks for the advice!

dmitchell15- i live in a townhouse and do not currently have a fenced yard. we do plan to put up a 6 ft wooden fence around the backyard. we're also an end house so we have land on the side of the house as well.

zoesma- your GSD is gorgeous! our pomeranian is actually the friendliest dog on the planet- he doesn't bark at strangers at all; he jumps up to kiss them and greets them at the door

Cindi- i never thought of it that way. thanks for the advice!
Nov 22, 2009, 10:10pm   #15
boxermom
Good luck! I imagine every rescue group has their own protocol for home visits. Before we adopted Sabo we wanted to be approved while we were renting during construction of our house. The rescue group said fine, and we didn't have a dog in mind yet. The woman came with one of her foster Boxers to see how we interacted with him. She didn't look beyond the LR/DR/kitchen and it wasn't going to be where the dog would live anyway. She told us she was more interested in how we acted with the dog she brought ,and also how dh and I interacted with each other--a red flag would be extreme impatience, disrespecting each other, tension between us. She told us this afterwards. We waited about 3 months (till after the holidays and moving into the house) to look at dogs looking for a home.
POST A REPLY
  HOME > >