Visit our 2014 Holiday Gift Guides
Home > >

Does your dog know any tricks? Lots of tricks? None at all?

View Poll Results: Does your dog know any tricks?
Yes, he's got all the basics down. 11 32.35%
Yes, he knows the basics and more. 19 55.88%
No, he's too busy for that. 4 11.76%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

POST A REPLY

Sep 11, 2009, 3:12pm   #16
b
boelieke
Originally Posted by oogiewoogie
We have an 11 wk old.. and she starts her 1st puppy class this Sunday. So far my my dh & I have been working with her.. and she now knows:

Sit, Down, Turn, Touch, High Five, shake hands & fetch (does that count? lol) . She's having a tough time with "Off" as in give the toy.. she wants to play tug & war half the time and will bite everything in site since she's teething... uGh.. when will this phase pass!! .. lol.
so cute! It's a quick learner! We trained 'off' when he had a toy in it's mouth and said 'off' and then fed him a treat. He obviously had to let go to eat the treat so he learned really quickly.
Sep 11, 2009, 4:09pm   #17
olialm1
windy city
My pup Charlie knows the basics due to puppy school. He learned to sit, stay, and down .. and now he's learning "paw" and "heel"! My other dog Max was a prince though He knew the basics but that's all. We pretty much let him do whatever he wanted!
Sep 11, 2009, 4:34pm   #18
oogiewoogie
Life is good.. :)
Originally Posted by boelieke
so cute! It's a quick learner! We trained 'off' when he had a toy in it's mouth and said 'off' and then fed him a treat. He obviously had to let go to eat the treat so he learned really quickly.
Ahhh... why didn't i think of the "treat!!"~!! Thanks for the tip.. we're going to try that out~!
Sep 11, 2009, 4:36pm   #19
oogiewoogie
Life is good.. :)
Originally Posted by jmakesmyday
My dog doesn't understand the concept of fetch, and I'm not sure how to teach him. He'll chase something I throw when he feels like it, but then sit somewhere I can't reach him and play with it. I tried bringing him to a park so he could watch other dogs fetch and learn the general concept, but it hasn't stuck yet.

Wow, a lot of dogs here are very impressive. Dogs are so cute when they follow commands and do tricks.
Lol... I've had my share of dogs that would do the same. With Miso.. most of her toys have a squeaker in it.. so you squeak it to get her attention, throw it.. then call her back.. and praise the hic outta her (I clap my hands sometimes & that makes her run faster back with the toy). They eventually catch on, although at times.. she will lose interset or get tired.. and not bring it back too.. lol.
Sep 11, 2009, 8:24pm   #20
r
rainedrop1019
Done
My dogs just know the basics that we taught them at home (no classes). They can sit, stay, lie down, go home (they run into their dog bed or crate), shake and will grab a toy if you say "where's your toy?"

We tried to teach the first one more tricks like roll over or play dead but to save our lives, he couldn't focus. By the time we got our second dog, we didn't care for any fancy tricks but just wanted to make sure they both had the basics down.
Sep 12, 2009, 11:45am   #21
Jeannam2008
Fashionably me :)
My Chihuahua knows how to: Dance,sit,lay down, roll over, shake, speak, beg with her paws, and fetch.
Sep 13, 2009, 1:54am   #22
CoffeeAddict
I compete in obedience and rally with the dog in my avatar. So he knows all the basic and advanced commands on and off leash, and some extras.

The new collie is just learning the ropes but he knows basic commands and we are working on some more advanced stuff. He is coming along.

The old collie knows everything there is to know and has decided that since he is 12 years old he will just spend his days on the sofa now thank you very much.
Sep 13, 2009, 9:03pm   #23
+
+stePHANie+
Teddy is a pom cross cavaliar king charles. he's a darling. he knows how to sit, shake a specific hand, drop, roll, walk, spin. when he walks and spins at the same time, it looks like he's doing a pirouette. so adorable!
Sep 13, 2009, 9:07pm   #24
queennadine
♥ LoVe ♥
Bailey doesn't know ANYTHING....but he's our rescue pup, and I don't think his original owners ever taught him anything so I don't think he's predisposed to it.

Cleo knows sit, stay, down....and I think that's it. They're both spoiled
Sep 19, 2009, 10:56pm   #25
stephc005
reggie the pom knows: sit, stay/wait, come here, lay down, sit up, go to bed, jump over, and drop it. he only does this stuff when he wants to or when he sees food. i'm trying to teach him fetch, speak, and QUIET! and for the life of him, he refuses to let anyone roll him over.
Sep 19, 2009, 11:03pm   #26
Voodoo
Hockeygasm
Duke knows quite a few cute things.... DD taught him all of his 'tricks'.... He'll only go on 'alert' for my Hub tho.

Here's the last vid I took of DD and Duke (which is where my avatar came from) right after she taught him High Five.

Sep 20, 2009, 12:40am   #27
b
beljwl
Account Deactivated
they know a few
Sep 28, 2009, 11:19am   #28
Louis&Mark
they know nothing!!! but I don't care. they stand by the door when they want out. And that's all that matters to me.
Sep 29, 2009, 11:25pm   #29
tresjoliebags
Bag bliss...
My maltese knows sit, down, stay, wait, come, shake/high 5, give me 10 (both paws), dance, crawl, roll over, drop it, off and up (jumping off and onto furniture), grab it and give it to me, speak and growl, push it (pushes toys with her nose) and find it (person or toy by name). I'm an awful teacher...usually my sister dogsits my pup and she comes back with a new command that my sis taught her.
Sep 30, 2009, 12:07am   #30
boomie
Dogs Rule
Dusty knows sit, stay, lay down, put your head down, leave it (put treats on his paws and he leaves them alone), shake, get on the bed, get off the bed, speak...so far :)
POST A REPLY
  HOME > >